PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown of Each MVP Candidate

Nash13
03-12-2003, 07:07 PM
1. Kobe Bryant
pros: has put up good numbers this season. Statistically, this is his best season. Has remained consistent with his numbers this season.
Consi/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gifads every last one of his numbers. He tries to hard against teams even the Lakers can easily beat. He's not even the Laker's most covenant player.

2.Kevin Garnett
pros: has also put up good numbers. Along with Bryant, this has been his best season.
Cons: He also pads his numbers a little bit. He stays in the game even when his team is up by 20 or 30 with 3minutes left in the game. He's not even the Timberwolves go-to-guy down the stretch of a game. They say he's so versitile, but he doesn't shoot very well outside the paint. Plus, his team's record has not significantly proved(one game ahead of where they were last yr), in spite of his killer numbers. He won't be the MVP if he doesn't make it to the second round.

3.T-Mac
Pros:along with Kobe and Kevin, this statistically is his best year. He even has a better squad than last yr. His team has always been in the playoff picture.
Con: He's in the eastern Conference. and his team doesn't have the record like the T-Wolves, Kings, Mavs, Nets, Pistons, etc. The award is the Most Valueable Player, not Most Talented Player.

4.Dirk Nowitzki
Pros: Due to my bias opinion as a Mavericks fan, i will not go into much detail. He's good. Until proven otherwise, he's the best pure shooter in the league.
Cons: his team's talents. He doesn't nearly get as much minutes to pad his numbers like other players. Not to say the Mavs wouldn't be good w/o him, but they wouldn't have the league's best record. Maybe he is the Most VALUEABLE Player.

5. Tim Duncan
Pros: He maybe the most dominant player that's currently playing. His team's chemistry has gotten better. Has been the most consistant player throughout the past 5 or 6 seasons.
Cons: For one, he one it last year. That automatically puts the odds against him b/c the last big men to win back2back MVP is Moses Malone in the early 80s. As a matter fact, the only big men to win back2back MVP is Wilt, Kareem, Russell, and Malone. Do you think he's worthy to be on that list yet?

6. Shaq
Pros: In most of the games he's played, he has perform pretty well. His ft% has went up. He is proof that one player can't separate a good team from a bad team
Cons: He's been injured too much. It wouldn't be fair that he would get it out of players that played all 82 games of the season. Even though his ft% has improved, it's still bad.

7. Chris Webber
Pros: along with Kobe, KG, and T-Mac, this statistically is his best season. He's the leader of the team that's the favorites to win the championship
Cons: He's really not that valueable. Statistically, his team plays just as good without him as they do with him. He's not even there go-to-guy at the end of the game. Is kinda in the same predicament as Dirk. Plus, he maybe just as much as a number-padder as Kobe and KG. He still plays even though his team is up by 30 with 3 minutes left.

8. Jason Kidd
Pros: post the pros if you can think of any
Cons: His team is basically doing the same thing this year as they did last season. Plus, his numbers have dropped convincingly. Not my MVP.

9. Ben Wallace
Pros: to me, he is the 2nd best player in the east. He never gives up on a play. Will more than likely win back2back defensive player of the league. Leads the league in rebounds. His team has gotten better since last year. Most impressive player i have ever seen that has come out of a division2 college.
Cons: He has done the same thing as last year. Not there go-to-guy at the end of games.

10. Jamaal Mashburn
Pros: is every good. Best player ever out of Kentucky? has offensively done better this yr.
Cons: He will always be underrated. Plus, his team's record has gone way down since last yr. The Hornets did not play well after they lost their first home game. But i'm not bitter they moved from North Carolina

That's all for right now. I know i left out others, get over it.i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Hitman
03-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Good breakdown, except Kidd's numbers are way up over last years when he perhaps should have been the MVP.

Hitman

03-12-2003, 09:56 PM
<< 2. Kevin Garnett

They say he's so versitile, but he doesn't shoot very well outside the paint >>

wow, from what i've seen last year and especially this year is he can shoot very well outside the paint and has a nice step back

otherwise, good breakdown

jayC
03-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Kevin Garnett- at the front of the pack. His team would be dwelling in 15th place in the west without him. He is the most versatile forward in the game because he can guard all five positions on the court case and point finley was 1-12 in the first half. His post game rivals Duncan, and he might be the best passing big man in the game. He has the numbers to prove it like 6 assists per game.

My number two is Tim Duncan: He puts up great numbers and he is a great shot blocker. His post game is unparalleled and he took his team to one of the greatest road trips in nba history 8-0 on consecutive nights with wins over LA and Sacramento. His team is improved with the additions of ginobli and improvement of parker. But this team is no where without him.

Three: Tracy McGrady much like the others he carries his team around crunch time too. He averages 30.6 points per game on 45.5 % shooting and gets to the line a ton much like Jordan something like 10 times a game.

Four: Kobe Bryant with a better record he would probably win it for me. 40 points a game in a month is unbelievable. He has shaq and was 11-19 to start the year that isn't good, for a team that some believe has the first and second best players in the league.

Five: kidd, nowitzki and webber are all tied for me non really stand out from the other. Nowitzki always improves his game every year. But the mavs are a playoff team without him. Kidd does so many things well and he is shooting well for kidd but when he said he might leave it looks like it hurt the cohesion of his team. Webber I agree with you on him, but he is a better post player then Dirk. He gets points for staying in Sacramento an NBA laughing stock in its time.

6) Shaq: The one year he has looked very much mortal. His team has to have them to be a title contender that in itself makes him valuable, but why not have the surgery sooner like at the end of last season. Still the favorites until some one knocks them out because of this guy.

So I agree with some of your assesment but if kobe weren't on the lakers they probably would still contend with a healthy shaq. So he can't win it for me.

Nash13
03-13-2003, 02:13 PM
<< Good breakdown, except Kidd's numbers are way up over last years when he perhaps should have been the MVP.

Hitman >>

I'm saying Kidd's numbers have went down from last yr.

I don't think Garnett should be considered in the MVP until his team makes it out the 1st round. Otherwise, he wouldn't be that valuable

ma-gaga
03-14-2003, 05:14 PM
yeah, but the goofy MVP award is voted on before the playoffs even start. In theory Gilbert Arenas could win the thing, even if his team finishes out of the playoffs. Right now it's between Garnett and Duncan, and Garnett will probably win it becase Duncan did last year, and the voters hate to give it to the same guy two years in a row...

Unless the Lakers win out.

Nash13
03-14-2003, 05:43 PM
<< yeah, but the goofy MVP award is voted on before the playoffs even start. In theory Gilbert Arenas could win the thing, even if his team finishes out of the playoffs. Right now it's between Garnett and Duncan, and Garnett will probably win it becase Duncan did last year, and the voters hate to give it to the same guy two years in a row...

Unless the Lakers win out. >>

I beg to differ. They usually wait until after the first round of the playoffs end b/c they want to see what the MVP candidate can do in the playoffs.

WayOutWest
03-14-2003, 05:52 PM
<< I beg to differ. They usually wait until after the first round of the playoffs end b/c they want to see what the MVP candidate can do in the playoffs. >>

Wrong. The MVP voting is complete before the playoffs start. The winner is announced after the playoffs start. That's why there is a playoff's MVP.

Garnett is clearly the leader right now regardless of how they do in the playoffs. Tim Duncan is a very close second. I don't really think anyone else is in the running other than maybe Kidd.

Kevink00012
03-14-2003, 08:21 PM
<<

<< Good breakdown, except Kidd's numbers are way up over last years when he perhaps should have been the MVP.

Hitman >>

I'm saying Kidd's numbers have went down from last yr.

I don't think Garnett should be considered in the MVP until his team makes it out the 1st round. Otherwise, he wouldn't be that valuable >>

Points are up, assists are down.

Kevink00012
03-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Who else do the Wolves have? KG is taking them to the playoffs again with no help. Take him away and there is nothing, that is why he is the most valuable.

Nash13
03-14-2003, 10:43 PM
<< Wrong. The MVP voting is complete before the playoffs start. The winner is announced after the playoffs start. That's why there is a playoff's MVP.

Garnett is clearly the leader right now regardless of how they do in the playoffs. Tim Duncan is a very close second. I don't really think anyone else is in the running other than maybe Kidd. >>

Wrong. The MVP award is givin at the end of the 1st round. Also, there's no playoff MVP, it's just a finals MVP.

Kevink00012
03-14-2003, 11:30 PM
But the votes were entered before the playoffs.

ma-gaga
03-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Maybe they don't give away the award until the second round, but the voting is DONE before the playoffs start. I'll double check that, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Otherwise they should WAIT until the end of the playoffs, it would be pretty stupid to 'see how they do in the first round'. I mean, really, if they want to see playoff performance, wait until the end...

aexchange
03-18-2003, 08:00 AM
you are wrong nash.

MVP voting is concluded before the start of the playoffs.

they hand the MVP award out after the start, but voting is completed right after the end of the regular season.