PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Rookie of the year?

Kevink00012
03-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Who do you think will win ROY?

My opinion is that if Drew Gooden had been with Orlando all year he would be the hands down choice, but of my other favorites I like Amare Stoudemire. It's amazing what this guy is doing right out of high school, the scoring, the rebounding, and the highlights. These are my top two with Yao at a close third.

nowitzki_prophecy
03-15-2003, 07:47 AM
that was actualy kinda easy.
its Amare all the way.
the man playes only 30 minutes a game,yet he grabs 9 point something rebounds a game,and i believe his the main reason for Phonix playing like they are.
though the're weakend of late,i think the'll be a tough playoff team.
not to mention the man is very very consistent.
and to think he's a rookie just make me think of how many rebounds he could grab in his 20s'.

jayC
03-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Still Yao what is he shooting from the field. He has kinda cooled off of late but he just needs more touches.

03-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Ill put my money on Amare.

Drbio
03-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Amare....then Yao.

aexchange
03-16-2003, 12:54 AM
yao. he should be rookie of the yr, just trying to touch the damn ball with his incompetent teammates.

hes lucky to even be averaging as much as he is.

magichero
03-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Yao. Of cause Yao is the ROY, Amare is not even close to him. Look at the Sun and Rocket game today. Yao completely outplayed Amare and Sun lost to Rocket. Yao has a huge edge over Amare.

YAO MING C 29 8-15 0-0 4-5 0 8 8 3 4 0 5 4 20
AMARE STOUDEMIRE F 39 3-10 0-0 6-10 5 4 9 1 2 0 3 2 12

nowitzki_prophecy
03-17-2003, 08:19 AM
so he over played him in one game,Amare is outplaying him for the entire season.
Phonix has better odds of getting into the playoff's and Amares stats are way better than yaos.
Amare is alot more stable and more valueble to his team.

Yao is overated.
you could say the man has amazing potential,BUT right now he isnt that great of a player,he's good,and i have not doubt he will be great,but all in do time,not now,certainly not an opener for ther western team in the all stars.

magichero
03-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Check the following stats for Yao and Amare before you make your words. On the contrary, Amare is hugely overrated. He shouldn't even be considered for ROY. Gooden and Butler are much more better than him. Comparing Amare and Yao, Yao is much more better and Amare has no chance. (Amare's stats are inflated by his many huge plays during the junk time while Yao was usually sitting during the junk time.) Yao has edges over
Amare in almost every categories except rebounds. Can you still say "Amare is outplaying him for the entire season?" In head to head games, Yao outplayed Amare three times while Amare outplayed Yao only one time, so does Rox vs Sun. For Rox, I heard that Yao clutched many times in the fourth quarter while I have never heard Amare did even one time for the Sun. Needless to mention that Yao is always double- or triple- teamed while no team will even worry about double-team Amare. If Amare got the same defence as Yao had, he would not be able to get even 10 points per game. Here are the stats of them in this year so far.

YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
Yao: 02-03 HOU 65 55 29.5 .520 .000 .805 2.40 5.80 8.30 1.7 .29 1.91 2.09 2.90 13.9
Amare: 02-03 PHO 65 54 31.9 .461 .143 .669 3.30 6.00 9.20 .9 .66 .91 2.31 3.30 13.4

<< so he over played him in one game,Amare is outplaying him for the entire season.
Phonix has better odds of getting into the playoff's and Amares stats are way better than yaos.
Amare is alot more stable and more valueble to his team.

Yao is overated.
you could say the man has amazing potential,BUT right now he isnt that great of a player,he's good,and i have not doubt he will be great,but all in do time,not now,certainly not an opener for ther western team in the all stars. >>

TripleDipping
03-17-2003, 12:10 PM
Yo... Yao... YO! YAO! YOOOOOOO!!!! Yao...

TripleDipping
03-17-2003, 12:11 PM
OK, who voted for Wagner???

Kevink00012
03-17-2003, 02:08 PM
I was just gonna ask the same thing. He's out again with a partial tear in his knee too.

magichero
03-17-2003, 03:30 PM
It is really bad to curse a humid NBA player so harshly! Watch you mouth. Maybe you should be out with a full tear in your knee.

<< I was just gonna ask the same thing. He's out again with a partial tear in his knee too. >>

i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Kevink00012
03-17-2003, 07:05 PM
<< It is really bad to curse a humid NBA player so harshly! Watch you mouth. Maybe you should be out with a full tear in your knee.

<< I was just gonna ask the same thing. He's out again with a partial tear in his knee too. >>

i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif >>

Easy bud, I wasn't saying it's his fault, you just can't win the ROY being out that much.

magichero
03-17-2003, 09:58 PM
It is not your fault either. You can't be here having a complete tear in your knee too. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

<<

<< It is really bad to curse a humid NBA player so harshly! Watch you mouth. Maybe you should be out with a full tear in your knee.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif >>

Easy bud, I wasn't saying it's his fault, you just can't win the ROY being out that much. >>

southern_sweets
03-17-2003, 11:21 PM
I voted for Amare, so he's the one. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

aexchange
03-17-2003, 11:57 PM
have any of you watched both of them play?

amare is gonna be a nice player but come on.

no way he should win over yao. yao is hands down the ROY.

madape
03-18-2003, 12:02 AM
I voted for YAO. But I wish I could write-in Mike Dunleavy. He might not deserve it, but He's my favorite rookie. And some day he'll be an all-star.

Bayliss
03-18-2003, 01:07 AM
My analysis:

Yao Ming
ROY. But out of all the players he is one that really doesn't have that much upside. He will add strength but he will top out at somewhere between 15-17 points, 11-12 rebounds, and 4 blocks.

Jay Williams
How did this kid get so much hype? He is Stephon Marbury Part II. Needs to become a pass first point guard but I truly don't see it happening.

Mike Dunleavy
Mike Miller with smarts? A tweener, much like the other Duke prospects in years past. The difference with him though is he can be a &quot;true&quot; 3 moreso than Ferry and Laettner. Needs some muscle, and minutes. Still needs a couple of years to see if he'll pan out.

Amare
Stronger and more of a bull inside than I thought he would be at that age. Just needs to add some finesse. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes similar to Kemp (pre Krispy Kreme Manager). Just not as consistent, but that will come with time.

Nene
Personally I think his upside is better than Amare. Same type of game. Difference I see is he is quicker defensively and has great anticipation for steals. Why he doesn't get Juwan Howard's minutes is beyond me.

Skita
Needs time. He has range and quickness. In the draft they compared him to Gasol. I don't see it. He plays outside more than Gasol. Has better range. Similar to Dirk. But a lot quicker than Dirk. Will love to see if he improves other aspects of his game. Pretty poor rebounder at this stage, etc. Simply put.. does he have the work ethic?

Caron Butler
Scouts compared him to Pierce. Butler is more inside than Pierce. Butler strikes me as a player that has pretty much maxed out his talent. He will probably average 20, but that's about it. Nothing special in any other aspect of the game.

Drew Gooden
Still think he's a tweener but the trade has definitely helped him. Better rebounder than anticipated. Needs a consistent 15-18 foot jumper. And a pet low post move.

The sleepers?
Jiri Welsch
Qyntel Woods
Lonny Baxter

SRF
03-18-2003, 04:41 PM
<< that was actualy kinda easy.
its Amare all the way.
the man playes only 30 minutes a game,yet he grabs 9 point something rebounds a game,and i believe his the main reason for Phonix playing like they are.
though the're weakend of late,i think the'll be a tough playoff team.
not to mention the man is very very consistent.
and to think he's a rookie just make me think of how many rebounds he could grab in his 20s'. >>

Hmmm.
Amare plays 2.5 more minutes than Yao per game.
Amare gets only .9 more rbd. than Yao a game.
Amare's shooting fg% is a horrible(for a PF) 46%, while Yao's is 52%.
Amare has half the blocks and assists than Yao has per game.
Amare's ft% is 67%...Yao's-a very nice 80%.
Amare's TO are slightly more than Yao's at 2.3 to Yao's 2.1.

Amare's only team contribution is that he is another scorer that the team can
rely on...when he's off his game he's a BIG liability on defense(which is happening often now that teams have figured out his one move). In fact, Frank Johnson
regularly benches Amare because of his lack of defensive intensity.

Around the middle of the year, FJ, benched Amare and Amare had a few words with Johnson...Amare lost his starter's position the next game because of his behavior...nice attitude to have for a rookie.

Amare's 46% field goal percentage and 67% free throw percentage shows you that he is NOT a 'VERY VERY' consistent player, I've seen Stoudemire miss many free throws in Crunch time...Yao shoots better than anyone else on our team when it matters, he's been the go-to guy down the stretch lately.

Hey...Amares a good dunker, I'll give you that! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

This week's rookie power rankings even talks about Amare's strange stats...he does well and the team loses, he does poorly and the team wins.

http://www.nba.com/milk_rookie/power_rankings_030318.html (http://NBA Rookie Rankings)

Hitman
03-18-2003, 08:45 PM
<<
Yao MIng ROY. But out of all the players he is one that really doesn't have that much upside. He will add strength but he will top out at somewhere between 15-17 points, 11-12 rebounds, and 4 blocks.

>>

What in the blue hell gives you the impression that Yao Ming doesn't have much upside?

He is 7 feet 6 inches. His has a tremendous lower body, and an upper body that will only improve. He is a tremendous shooter, a great passer, has super hands, unparalelled footwork and fundamentals, shotblocking and shot altering skills that others can only dream of and is a great rebounder when given the proper minutes. The only thing holding back Yao from averaging the numbers you speak of THIS YEAR is his playing time and the fact that he plays with TWO shoot first guards.

Out of all the rookies, he has BY FAR the most upside. GMs draft on upside, and I could guarantee that EVERY SINGLE GM in the league would take Yao over any other 2002/2003 rookie.

Hitman

Murphy3
03-19-2003, 11:55 AM
if this year is any indication, ming is the next great center in the NBA

madape
03-19-2003, 12:17 PM
<< My analysis:

Mike Dunleavy
Mike Miller with smarts? A tweener, much like the other Duke prospects in years past. The difference with him though is he can be a &quot;true&quot; 3 moreso than Ferry and Laettner. Needs some muscle, and minutes. Still needs a couple of years to see if he'll pan out.
>>

By tweener, what do you mean? Is he &quot;between&quot; being a small forward and a power forward? Or &quot;between&quot; being a small forward and a shooting guard. In my opinion, he is not a power forward and never should be considered one. He has the height to play the position, and can probably play it better than half the guys in the NBA, but I wouldn't even think of playing him significant minutes there.

Dunleavy has the potential to be a 6'10&quot; shooting guard. As he matures, he could become a matchup nightmare only Dirk fans would appreciate. 6'10&quot; is big for a small forward. But for a shooting guard? Oh my. And he certainly has the range and quickness to play the position. He's even got the ball handling ability to play point. He's a prototype of the tall, versatile athlete that's going to dominate the NBA in the next decade.

Bayliss
03-19-2003, 01:08 PM
I was talking about power forward. Dunleavy is not going to play shooting guard. My best guess: never. Dunleavy will be a good small forward in time, much better than Ferry and Laattner. But he is not going to dominate the competition. And I realize too that some were saying that about Dirk his first year as well.

Kevink00012
03-19-2003, 01:14 PM
<< if this year is any indication, ming is the next great center in the NBA >>

That's true,now that Ewing, Olajuwan, and Robinson are retired there are not a whole lot of true centers in the game today. Once Shaq is gone Yao will be in my mind the only star(assuming that he continues to improve)center in the game.

madape
03-19-2003, 01:17 PM
<< I was talking about power forward. Dunleavy is not going to play shooting guard. My best guess: never. Dunleavy will be a good small forward in time, much better than Ferry and Laattner. But he is not going to dominate the competition. And I realize too that some were saying that about Dirk his first year as well. >>

What makes you think that he can't? Just because he's tall? He has guard skills. He was a point guard in high school. He's definitely got the range to be a two guard. I think his ball handling and quickness are underrated. He's never had a problem creating his own shots. He sees the court well and can pass off the penetration. He makes good decisions. What is he missing?

The precident has already been set. Tall guys like Rashard Lewis, Clifford Robinson, Penny Hardaway and Robert Horry have all played shooting guard at some time. I think Dunleavy's skills are better matched to play the position than those guys. I don't see what could hold him back.

Bayliss
03-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Because he is not going to be able to defend first tier shooting guards of the league: Kobe, TMac, Carter (when healthy). Nor will he be able to guard the second tier: Finley, Allen, Stackhouse. There are just too many **quicker** shooting guards than him that will burn him on the defensive end.

Dirk had a little advantage over him defensively in the fact that quickness usually tends to decrease when you go up the position. In other words, point guard quicker than shooting guard. Shooting guard quicker than small forward, etc etc. I realize that's a generalization but holds true most of the time.

What you are suggesting is that Dunleavy (whom is average quickness at SF) to slide down to a position that is even quicker.

I don't see it ever happening.