PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Davis = class personified

sturm und drang
03-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Wow. This is unbelievable. I'm so, so glad we don't have any players who would even think of pulling something like this.

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Ricky Davis wanted to give himself a triple-double by shooting at the wrong basket, leaving Jerry Sloan fuming.

Ricky Davis finished one rebound short of his first triple-double in the Cavs' win.

Davis had 28 points, a career-high 12 assists and missed his first career triple-double by one rebound as the Cleveland Cavaliers snapped a seven-game losing streak with a 122-95 victory over the Utah Jazz on Sunday.

After Utah's Scott Padgett scored with six seconds left, Davis took an inbounds pass and was ready to attempt a shot at the wrong basket to get his 10th rebound. DeShawn Stevenson wrapped his arms around Davis before the attempt and was whistled for a foul. Davis made two free throws to complete the scoring.

"He was trying to embarrass us, and that's not how the game should be played,'' Sloan said.

"This is not schoolyard basketball,'' the Utah coach said. "Let him try to get it when the game means something. I was proud of DeShawn and I would have knocked him down harder. They can put me in jail for saying that, but that's the way it is.''

"I have nothing against Ricky,'' Stevenson said. "But for someone to go out there and do that is not right. I'm not going to let that happen.''

jayC
03-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Just shows you why they have only won 15 games this season. That should have been in the playoffs and possibly out of the east. What an idiot Jim Paxson is for trading Andre Miller. This team would have had the two hardest positions to fill with Miller and Big Z. Perhaps overrated but should do win like 35 games.

As for the shooting at the wrong basket just shows you that a lot of teams care more about numbers than about winning. Come on Miller Davis and Big Z nice big three but you can see that ricky davis should have been on his way out not Miller.

thebac
03-16-2003, 07:00 PM
<< Just shows you why they have only won 15 games this season. That should have been in the playoffs and possibly out of the east. What an idiot Jim Paxson is for trading Andre Miller. This team would have had the two hardest positions to fill with Miller and Big Z. Perhaps overrated but should do win like 35 games.

As for the shooting at the wrong basket just shows you that a lot of teams care more about numbers than about winning. Come on Miller Davis and Big Z nice big three but you can see that ricky davis should have been on his way out not Miller. >>

Agree that Davis is an idiot. However, even in the East, I don't think they're a serious playoff threat (or even 35 wins). Also, while he's an idiot, he's still young and should learn, and he's locked into a bargain of a contract for a while.

03-16-2003, 07:05 PM
i think that would lock a #1 spot for ricky in the &quot;Biggest Stat Padder&quot; thread

Bayliss
03-16-2003, 07:39 PM
That's pitiful. That's a little worse than Adelman playing out the string against us so SheWebb could get his triple double.

I don't know why Lucas ever compared Davis to Jordan. Jordan had class. Apparently Davis has none.

FilthyFinMavs
03-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Paxson had no choice but to trade Miller. He got DMiles out of the deal who is really underachieving. Miller was likely going to bail out on the Cavs anyway this offseason and who knows maybe they can resign him if he really wants to be a Cav.

LRB
03-16-2003, 09:30 PM
What was Ricky Davis doing in the game with 6 seconds left and his team up by 25? Not only does he not have class, his coach is a moron. I would sincerely hope that the stat keeper would have disallowed any rebounds for shooting at the other basket for the express purpose of padding your stats.

Ricky Davis the poster boy for the Me 1st generation of NBA players.

MavsFanFinley
03-16-2003, 10:14 PM
That's just stupid.

Davis was a guy I wanted Dallas to go after, but we sure don't need that here. Or any team for that matter.

I didn't catch the whole thing, but I was wondering what Sloan was so pissed about when it was showing the opening credits for Sportscenter.

He said something about I'd foul him too, I'd knock him on his ass.

I assume he was saying that about Davis now.

Bayliss
03-16-2003, 10:21 PM
And who here would not like a coach like that?

Players (IMO) respond better to coaches that give them credit and inspire them through the coach's feelings. If a coach stood up for the team like that... I'd play harder for him. And I'm glad to see Sloan was proud of Stephenson doing what he did. Because Stephenson was definitely in the right.

MavsFanFinley
03-16-2003, 10:49 PM
I just saw the highlights on Sportscenter.

That's an embarrassment.

Sloan looked stunned that a player would pull something like that.

Murphy3
03-17-2003, 11:47 AM
i thought it was kinda funny
he needs to take an elbow to the nose soon..but it was kinda funny

Kevink00012
03-17-2003, 01:14 PM
He's a punk. I can't believe he would even think of doing that. My only regret is that Stevenson didn't hit him harder.