PDA

View Full Version : NBA has fell into a Double Standard

Nash13
03-22-2003, 08:11 AM
Something just doesn't seem right to me. Stars like Kobe, T-Mac, Pierce, and Iverson are all MVP candidates and big stars b/c of their offensive performances. And then you got a player like Ben Wallace who's known for his defensive performance, but is not considered an MVP candidate; to me he's just as good on defense as some big stars are on offense. And as much as analysis and commentators stress defense so much, why can't a person be a star based on his defense?

There's a reason why i say Ben Wallace is the 2nd best player in the east.

DOUBLE STANDARD

OzMavs
03-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Since when has a great defensive game made me want to watch NBA? I know Wallace is a great player, but really, do I want to see a nil all draw in the NBA?

Bookit
03-22-2003, 11:17 AM
<< Something just doesn't seem right to me. Stars like Kobe, T-Mac, Pierce, and Iverson are all MVP candidates and big stars b/c of their offensive performances. And then you got a player like Ben Wallace who's known for his defensive performance, but is not considered an MVP candidate; to me he's just as good on defense as some big stars are on offense. And as much as analysis and commentators stress defense so much, why can't a person be a star based on his defense?

There's a reason why i say Ben Wallace is the 2nd best player in the east.

DOUBLE STANDARD >>

Actually, those players you mentioned are good defenders as well as superstars offensively. Ben Wallace can't hit a shot outside of 5 feet.

Nash13
03-22-2003, 01:25 PM
I'm not talkin about team defense, i'm talkin about individual defense. I just don't think it's fair. I'm not sayin he should be real popular, but i think he should be considered an MVP candidate.

And Bookit, you know there's a reason why i said those names, cause they are the top 4 scorers in the league. For the die hard NBA fans, they would appreciate defensive players.

Murphy3
03-22-2003, 04:51 PM
there are few players in the history of the game that can change a game on defense..
ben wallace can in the east, but does that really count for anything? the east is minor league basketball at best

Nash13
03-22-2003, 05:38 PM
If you want to look at it that way Murph, no offense, but you may as well call T-Mac, Pierce and Iverson's ppg minor league play. You may as well call Wallace's league-leading Rebounds per game, or Gary Payton's Assist per game, or Allan Houston's ft% minor league play.

Murphy3
03-23-2003, 08:03 PM
sure, go for it

in fairness to payton, he has spent most of the year in the west. therefore, his numbers are closer to being legitimate

Nash13
03-24-2003, 07:00 PM
All i'm saying is that no matter how many times the NBA stresses the importance of defense, they are making it impossible for defensive players to achieve success.

jayC
03-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Is Dennis Rodman an All-Star he is a great defensive boarder and defender? Here it is you can't teach a great defensive player how to play offense but you can teach a great offensive player to play defense at least good defense that's why he isn't an MVP!