PDA

View Full Version : Tim Hardaway to the Pacers? WTF?

Drbio
03-25-2003, 06:47 PM
ESPN is reporting that Tim Hardaway is close to signing with teh Pacers. Oh boy.

FilthyFinMavs
03-25-2003, 07:51 PM
<< ESPN is reporting that Tim Hardaway is close to signing with teh Pacers. Oh boy. >>

Is it any coincidence that the last time we remember Tim it is when he is throwing a tv on court after a ejection? And what team does he go to? The same team that has Ron Artest on it? I'm with you. WTF?

sturm und drang
03-25-2003, 08:29 PM
Oh, it's a happy day for Rhylan. And a happier one for me, because now we don't have to sit through the articulation trials and tribulations of little Timmy on ESPN. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Hardaway expected to join Indiana as a player
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com
Former Miami Heat guard and ESPN basketball analyst Tim Hardaway is expected to sign with the Indiana Pacers within the next few days, according to his agent Henry Thomas.

Contract details were not immediately known, but Hardaway will join the team as a player.

Pacers team president Donnie Walsh had told the Indianapolis Star recently that he wanted to wait before making the move.

&quot;I want our team to settle in,&quot; Walsh told the newspaper. &quot;I just don't think it's time to do anything with our team. We don't even have all of our own players back. We're going through so many difficulties, this would be the wrong time to do something like that.&quot;

Indiana is fourth in the Eastern Conference with a 41-29 record. The Pacers trail Detroit by 31/2 games for the top spot in the East.

Hardaway had averaged 17.9 points and 8.3 assists for his career.

Rhylan
03-25-2003, 10:07 PM
Long live Timmy!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

MavsFanFinley
03-25-2003, 10:23 PM
Forgive me, getting over a cold and I'm currently doped up on my meds. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Why would he be signing now? He won't be able to be on the playoff roster, will he?

madape
03-25-2003, 11:14 PM
Not really a suprise. I've heard rumors all year long. The Pacers were looking for veteran PG help. Hardaway certainly helps there. Too bad we couldn't ship them AJ for one of their underutilized big men.

Nash13
03-26-2003, 12:23 AM
I knew he would sign back to a team b4 the season ended. I believe ESPN had a part in negotiating this deal, b/c they didn't want to fire him, but they don't want to keep him.

MavsFanFinley
03-27-2003, 09:28 PM
:::bump:::

It's official now.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030327/capt.1048793241pacers_hardaway_naf101.jpg

Pacers sign five-time All-Star Hardaway for stretch run

By DAN GELSTON, Associated Press Writer

March 27, 2003

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Tim Hardaway feared his career was over when teams ignored him during training camps. The Indiana Pacers were concerned about backcourt depth entering the final weeks of the season.

Both problems were solved Thursday.

Hardaway gave up his job as a television analyst to sign with Indiana, giving the struggling Pacers a needed boost.

The 36-year-old point guard, a five-time All-Star, is expected to be in uniform for Friday's game against Chicago and is eligible for the playoffs because he is a free agent and not a waiver pickup.

``Until they called, I thought it was over with,'' Hardaway said. ``Don't even consider it. Don't even worry about it.''

Hardaway's agent, Henry Thomas, said he talked with Pacers president Donnie Walsh throughout the season about the possibility of adding the player. Hardaway impressed team officials in a workout earlier this month, but Walsh didn't want to upset the team's chemistry.

Injuries, off-court distractions and loses in 15 of the team's last 19 games changed Walsh's mind.

Hardaway joins Reggie Miller as the only Pacers older than 30, and the signing adds a healthy body to a thin backcourt.

Starting point guard Jamaal Tinsley is expected to miss his second game since the death of his mother, and his backup, Erick Strickland, is questionable with bruised ribs for Friday's game.

``He has the ability to help us at the point guard position,'' Walsh said of Hardaway. ``He's available in case somebody gets injured. You never limit a player, but that's the idea going in.''

Hardaway averaged 17.9 points and 8.3 assists in 12 seasons, all but one with Golden State or Miami. He averaged 9.6 points in 68 games for Denver and Dallas last season.

``What he brings is smartness and veteran know-how at the end of the game,'' coach Isiah Thomas said. ``He's a guy that's not going to get too rattled if he misses a couple of shots or we have a bad quarter.''

Hardaway practiced with Indiana on Thursday and is expected to be in uniform Friday.

Hardaway relied on pickup games and treadmills stay in good condition. But he admits he's not in playing shape.

``I'm in good enough shape to sustain some minutes,'' Hardaway said. ``Running up and down at an NBA pace is pretty hard, but that will come.''

Hardaway's season ended last year when he broke his left foot in March. The Nuggets bought out the final two years of his contract, and when he couldn't hook on with a team in camp, Hardaway thought his career was over.

``I've been wanting to play all season,'' he said. ``I didn't want to go out with a foot injury.''

The time off has given Hardaway a chance to heal. He said the foot injury is no longer an issue, his knees felt great and he'll enter the postseason with fresh legs.

Despite their recent slide, the Pacers (41-30) are in fourth in the Eastern Conference, 4 1/2 games behind first-place Detroit.

The Pacers need to finish fourth or better to have homecourt advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

``I'm sure it's going to inject some more life in this team,'' Miller said. ``His experience as a point guard is something that's going to be valuable, especially to the younger point guards on the team.''

To make room for Hardaway, the Pacers placed center Primoz Brezec on the injured list with a sprained left ankle.

Rhylan
03-27-2003, 09:36 PM
While a lot of us on the board have been dissing the Pacers all year, I have quietly been preparing to root them on in the East. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I've always liked Indiana, back to the mid-90's, anyway. I'm not crazy about Isiah, but oh well. I like their team, even if they try to be the bad boys part deux. And I LIKE Ron Artest. And I've wanted him on the Mavs for the last at least two years i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif I just don't get into arguments about him because I don't feel like making a case for him. He's a nutcase.

But now, they got my man Timmy &quot;I got skeeeelz&quot; Hardaway! It's on, baby. When whoever whups the Mavs in the 2nd/WCF ends up in the Finals, I am going to hope that Indiana will be there to beat them up and play them hard and crazy. And Timmy can hit the go ahead shot to win the title, with a 34 foot running three pointer with 22 left on the shot clock.

YEIAH. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

jayC
03-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Right! At least he is off ESPN with Stuart Scott.

Keep dreaming about the trailblazers of the east.

Chiwas
03-28-2003, 10:55 AM
I like Hardaway...

...more playing that talking.