PDA

View Full Version : Shaq's Defaced Ball (20,000th career point - GAME BALL)

MADBALLER
03-26-2003, 02:26 PM
check this out........how funny!!!!!!

someone wrote "SHAQ IS AN ASSHOLE" ON SHAQ'S 20,000TH CAREER POINT GAME BALL

HAHAHAHA

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sport...p-7268107c.html

The Los Angeles Lakers were angry when they left Sacramento Thursday night, but it wasn't only because they lost to the Kings 107-99.
On a night Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal scored his 20,000th career point, the Lakers were upset because someone at Arco Arena defaced the game ball presented to O'Neal by writing "Shaq is an asshole" on it.

John Black, the Lakers publicity director, said he first noticed the writing on the ball immediately after the game, when he said he took possession of it from NBA referee Danny Crawford.

"It's one thing to support your team, but to write on a ball that's going to go on someone's mantle is not cool," Black said.

"Who knows who did it."

On Friday, Kings officials said they asked the Lakers to return the defaced ball to Sacramento so the team can perform handwriting analysis on it to determine if Kings employees were responsible for writing on the ball.

Feelings toward O'Neal have been running high in Sacramento since the hulking center made disparaging remarks about Kings guard Mike Bibby in the days leading up to Thursday's game.

In his typical taunting manner, O'Neal had criticized Bibby's recent selection to Team USA, saying Bibby didn't deserve an honor that should have gone to Allen Iverson of the Philadelphia 76ers. Further, O'Neal called Bibby "a Cub Scout" and justified his remarks by claiming that Bibby had done little to distinguish himself in his career until last year's NBA playoffs and so therefore didn't deserve to be on the U.S. national team.

Though Bibby declined to respond to O'Neal's taunts, they got a great deal of attention in the news media, angered some of Bibby's teammates and were clearly on the minds of fans during Thursday's game. In fact, O'Neal was booed when the public address announcer announced that he'd reached the 20,000 career point mark.

And once the game ended, Lakers officials say they found the writing on the ball. But that wasn't the only post-game trouble involving O'Neal.

As the Lakers walked to their team bus in a restricted area for friends and family of Kings players, a man began yelling at O'Neal, Black said.

"Did the person cross the line? Probably," Black said.

"The issue (that led to the verbal confrontation) was the comments Shaq made about Bibby. It was obvious that they took issue with what Shaq said."

Kings publicity director Troy Hanson said the man was "a friend of a player." Though Hanson wouldn't confirm it was a friend of Bibby's, he wouldn't deny it either. "You can probably guess whose friend he was," Hanson said.

Nash13
03-26-2003, 03:12 PM
i can't say i feel sorry for the guy, he had it comin

TripleDipping
03-26-2003, 03:20 PM
Psssssst... I heard from the grapevine that it's actually the Zen Master's grand scheme to fire O'Neal up for the rest of the season. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

WayOutWest
03-26-2003, 05:30 PM
Defacing a piece of NBA history, how classless. Anyone who condones it falls into that same catagory.

Nash13
03-26-2003, 05:36 PM
I respect you West, for comin up here defendin your team on this harsh board. But Right b4 the game, Shaq was talkin smack about Bibby when they played in SAC. That wasn't very intellegent.

Drbio
03-26-2003, 11:29 PM
I think it's unfortunate that it was defaced. Now if it would have been something of Kobe's it would be different.

WayOutWest
03-27-2003, 12:16 PM
<< I respect you West, for comin up here defendin your team on this harsh board. But Right b4 the game, Shaq was talkin smack about Bibby when they played in SAC. That wasn't very intellegent. >>

Talking smack is about the worse thing you can say about Shaq. He's been in what...3 fights his whole career? With the amount of abuse he takes he keeps under control alot better than most in the NBA. With his size and strength he could easily take someone out at will, I rarely see him even give a hard foul. He makes some of the stupidiest comments and jokes almost routinely but that doesn't excuse what was done. IMO that was as classless as throwing something on the court or at a player in the tunnel.

I hope the Lakers get the Kings in the first round!

Nash13
03-27-2003, 02:36 PM
<<

<< I respect you West, for comin up here defendin your team on this harsh board. But Right b4 the game, Shaq was talkin smack about Bibby when they played in SAC. That wasn't very intellegent. >>

Talking smack is about the worse thing you can say about Shaq. He's been in what...3 fights his whole career? With the amount of abuse he takes he keeps under control alot better than most in the NBA. With his size and strength he could easily take someone out at will, I rarely see him even give a hard foul. He makes some of the stupidiest comments and jokes almost routinely but that doesn't excuse what was done. IMO that was as classless as throwing something on the court or at a player in the tunnel.

I hope the Lakers get the Kings in the first round! >>

In this situation, what it comes down to is the mind games he and the Lakers play back-fired on him this time.

WayOutWest
03-27-2003, 03:12 PM
<< In this situation, what it comes down to is the mind games he and the Lakers play back-fired on him this time. >>

What it comes down to is a stupid act from a stupid person(s). That stupid act had as much to do with the Lakers/Kings rivalry as burning police cars did with winning the 2000 title. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

Ummmmm Ok
03-27-2003, 06:25 PM
The Kings finally know who the culprit was who defaced Shaquille O'Neal's game ball.

Sacramento has deduced it was a courtside fan -- and not a team employee -- who scribbled an insulting expletive on the game ball, the Los Angeles Times reported in Thursday's editions.

&quot;I hope Shaq accepts our apology,&quot; Kings owner Joe Maloof told the Sacramento Bee, &quot;because that guy could take me and dunk me.&quot;

The game ball marked O'Neal reaching the 20,000-point plateau in his career.

Kings season ticket holder Greg Rogers witnessed the event and told the Sacramento Bee what happened.

&quot;It was a timeout in the fourth quarter, and the referee put the ball down,&quot; Rogers said to the newspaper. &quot;There were two guys seated in the front row seats opposite the Kings bench. They were with a boy about nine or 10. One of the guys grabbed the ball and handed it to the boy. I was watching with my wife. I said, 'Hey, that's neat. I'll bet that kid loves this.' Then one of the guys took out a pen and wrote on the ball. My wife and I saw it. A few seconds later, the kid tossed the ball back to the ref.&quot;

Rogers told the Sacramento Bee he could pick out who wrote on the ball out of a game film.

&quot;I'm surprised he doesn't come forward,&quot; Rogers told the newspaper. &quot;A lot of people want to shake his hand.&quot;

The culprit apparently scribbled the expletive during a fourth-quarter timeout of the rival Kings' 107-99 victory over Los Angeles on March 20.

O'Neal, booed by the Sacramento crowd at halftime when his accomplishment was announced, said after the game he hoped no one connected with the Kings' organization was responsible.

&quot;History was made last night. You can't take that away from me,&quot; O'Neal said. &quot;I hope the Maloof family (Kings' owners Gavin and Joe Maloof) doesn't condone this kind of action.

&quot;I will not hold the city of Sacramento responsible, but whoever did this shows no class. I'm not mad at all. I know the Maloofs allow a lot of stuff. If they do condone this, I'll be very disappointed in that organization.&quot;

The Lakers host the Kings on April 10.

&quot;This is one thing I won't forget, and I'll see you soon,&quot; O'Neal said.