PDA

View Full Version : Forte vs. Jerome James Forte suspended one game for fighting

jayC
03-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Forte will miss Friday's game against Grizzlies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

SEATTLE -- The Seattle SuperSonics suspended guard Joseph Forte for one game Thursday for conduct detrimental to the team, general manager Rick Sund announced.

Forte was involved in an altercation with teammate Jerome James after the Sonics' 80-74 loss to the Wizards on Wednesday night, the Seattle Times reported in Friday's editions.

The former UNC star told the newspaper it started as a verbal exchange and it escalated from there.

"Jerome James tried to jump on me and he was not successful," Forte said in the report. "Both parties are usually suspended, but that didn't happen. That tells me that they give me special treatment in a negative way.

"It's the same reason why I'm not playing ... But I'm not going to be the Sonics basher. Basically, I got suspended because I got into a fight with a 7-foot guy who attacked me."

Forte will miss Friday's game against the Memphis Grizzlies. He will return to the team for Saturday's practice.

The Sonics did not provide any details about the conduct that led to Forte's suspension.

Rockets activate guard Maddox
HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets on Wednesday activated guard Tito Maddox and placed rookie forward Bostjan Nachbar on the injured list with a left groin strain.

Maddox, who had been on the injured list since March 18 with a viral infection, has played in only eight games for the Rockets this season, averaging 1.4 points and 0.8 rebounds.

After one season at Fresno State, Maddox was selected by Houston in the second round of the 2002 draft.

A member of the Slovenian national team, Nachbar is averaging 2.1 points and 0.8 rebounds in 14 contests this season. He was taken by the Rockets with the 15th overall pick in the 2002 draft.

Hornets' non-premium season tickets to remain same price
NEW ORLEANS -- All non-premium season tickets at New Orleans Arena will stay at current prices next season, the Hornets announced.

Alex Martins, the Hornets' senior vice president of marketing and branding, said they want to boost this season's 8,500 season-ticket sales total.

The team also announced that it is going to reduce season-ticket prices for seats in the lower-bowl corners and for lower-bowl seating behind the basket by $10 per game. However, tickets bought for individual games will keep the price now charged for those seats.

Premium club seat and luxury suite holders are under three- to 10-year contracts, with automatic increases to take effect next season. A five-year contract will have a 3-percent increase, Martins said.

The team mailed out season-ticket renewal and playoff ticket information this week. Current season-ticket holders will have first right of refusal to buy playoff tickets.

Non-premium season-ticket holders who want playoff tickets can make a 33-percent deposit toward next year's season-ticket order and they will not be billed for any of their playoff tickets until the playoffs are over, Martins said.

The Hornets have averaged 15,515 after 35 games at New Orleans Arena with nine sellouts.

"We can seat over 17,000 in this building. That's our goal, and we need to continue and strive for it,'' Martins said. "The first step in that process is getting a bigger season-ticket base.''

Heat lose Marks for remainder of season
MIAMI -- Sean Marks will miss the remainder of the Miami Heat's season due to a torn ligament in his left elbow.

The 6-foot-10 forward left a game against the Denver Nuggets on March 8 with a sprained elbow and was placed on the injured list two days later.

Marks missed 21 games earlier this season after undergoing foot surgery in November.

In 23 games this season, Marks averaged 2.3 points, 1.5 rebounds and 9.7 minutes.

Tierre Brown signs with Cavs for rest of season
CLEVELAND -- The Cavaliers on Monday signed guard Tierre Brown for the remainder of the season.

Brown originally signed 10-day contract with Cleveland on March 3, a week after guard Bimbo Coles was waived. In five games with the Cavaliers, he is averaging 1.2 points, 1.4 assists and 5.4 minutes.

The 6-foot-2 Brown was averaging 15.4 points per game and 4.9 assists in 41 games with North Charleston of the NBDL before signing with Cleveland. Last season as a rookie, he averaged 3.1 points and 1.8 assists in 40 games with the Houston Rockets.

Cleveland (13-56) is the only team in the NBA with a winning percentage below .200.

ESPN Tools
Email story

Most sent

Print story

Daily email