PDA

View Full Version : kidd's future rest with Kenyon Martin?

jayC
03-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Kidd, Martin hope to be on 'same page' this summer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Kenyon Martin might hold the key in keeping Jason Kidd in New Jersey this offseason, the New York Daily News reported in Friday's editions.

Kidd

Martin

"I don't want to be here if [Martin's] not," Kidd told the newspaper. "If that is what's driving him, I want him to keep doing that. (But) he shouldn't think that if he has a bad game that, 'Well, he's lost Jason.' Because I'm going to be here when (Martin and Richard Jefferson) are in their prime and I am an old man and I can say that these guys are carrying me now."

Kidd plans to talk to the former No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft during the offseason so the duo can be on the "same page" with their future plans. The Nets can offer Kidd, who has talked about joining Tim Duncan in San Antonio, close to a six-year, $102 million deal, the New York Daily News reported.

Kidd can become a free agent on July 1, while Martin is eligible for a contract extension starting Aug. 1. If the Nets and Martin can't agree on a deal by Oct. 31, Martin will become a restricted free agent after next season, according to the report.

"We'll see," Martin told the newspaper of his contract status. "I'm just going to wait and see what happens with (Kidd). If (the Nets) want me here, and they express that to me, then either way it goes, I am comfortable here.

"If (Kidd) is looking for that second (marquee) guy, I can be it," Martin said in the report. "If that is what he is weighing his decision on, I am trying to do my part."

Nets president Rod Thorn told the newspaper, "It's too early at this time to talk about that."

Kenyon Martin would look good in a mavs uniform, from the former Bryan Adams High School standout(Dallas) .