PDA

View Full Version : Rafer Alftson?

jayC
03-31-2003, 07:09 PM
What does this guy have. Slam magazine proclaiming he is the next great pg and he plays for the Raptors. And yet he has been in the rafters basically in the stands watching the NBA. Is he priest holmes of the nba, relative unknown although he played under tark the shark.

Is he for real or not. Did the mavs overlook this guy or not? Slam Magazine last year proclaimed him the best point guard in the world. Is he filled with untapped potential or simply stanley roberts plenty of talent no work ethic?

Ummmmm Ok
03-31-2003, 07:15 PM
If you know about streetball than you know about Rafer Alston.

jayC
03-31-2003, 07:27 PM
Are you from the bronx? Besides the question is about his talent and nba superstardom not where he is from. Thanks for the non descriptive short and smart alec answer!

Ummmmm Ok
03-31-2003, 07:34 PM
Didn't think I was smart about it. Just letting you know that on ESPN2, there is a show called STREETBALL. That is where he started out. Than went onto the NBA Development league. Earlier this season, he signed a 10 day contract with the rapters and had an amazing week. They signed him for the rest of the season, and he has choked. Hes a good streetballer and has a good one on one game, but in the NBA he struggles.

And no, I am not from the Bronx. I grew up in a bullet riddled neighberhood by bachman lake. As soon as my parents could afford it we moved the hell out of there.

Ummmmm Ok
03-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Some info on Rafer Alston:

---

You can say it started 11 summers ago, when a scrawny ninth-grader named Rafer Alston debuted at Harlem's Rucker Park on coach Ron Naclerio's Cardozo High squad. Alston put the ball places it shouldn't go, or where no one ever thought to put it. Behind his back? Try behind your head. The ball was his supersized yo-yo. He had a habit of skipping when he pushed the ball up court, and one night the emcee shouted, "Here comes Skip To My Lou." Skip was quickly the league's main attraction: Rumors that he might show would pack the park. Naclerio began to lug his video camera to the games. Others did too. Soon, there were hours of ghetto SportsCenter with Skip as the top story. With an audience of ... dozens.

Skip -- Rafer -- didn't play much organized ball. Grades kept him off the high school hardwood. After two juco stops, he boarded Tark's ark at Fresno State, where he broke the single-season assist mark as a junior. But streetball legends don't often make it to the NBA -- that's why they're streetball legends. Nonetheless, Alston played well at the Chicago predraft camp, and the Bucks took him in the second round in '98. And 1 promptly signed the rookie. Naclerio, looking to boost Skip's profile, gave the shoemakers his stockpiled footage, from which they produced a compilation of highlights -- And 1 Mix Tape Vol. 1 -- that they gave to anyone trying on a pair of their sneakers at Foot Action.

In two weeks, the chain moved 200,000 copies, most snatched by kids who'd never heard of Skip To My Lou, let alone knew he was an NBAer. All they knew was they couldn't believe their eyes. Today, kids in Germany, Finland and Egypt pay $100 for his Mix Tapes on eBay, and the Bucks' Web site gets more e-mail about Alston than Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson and Sam Cassell combined.

As a rookie, Alston was the league's hottest garbage-timer, even though he toned down -- no, turned off -- his street game. Shaq saw Mix Tape 1 and wanted to hang with him. Larry Hughes and AI demanded he play in their charity games. "I watch Skip in practice and I'm amazed," says the Big Dog. The Bucks recently traded point guard Lindsay Hunter, so Skip will get big minutes this year. And he plans to work his "game" into more games. "I feel natural playing that way," he says

ames7
03-31-2003, 09:21 PM
I've watched Streetball, & Skip is awesome. Really really fun to watch & from what I've heard, he's been up & down w/the Raptors. SLAM has some kind of obsession w/him, they always talk about him. I doubt he's the next great PG, but he's one to watch. He needs to develop as more than a streetball player.

madape
04-01-2003, 07:50 AM
This guy's career is probably over. He's had his chance, and failed. Slam is a street rag, it loves to gush over guys like Alston. But he's not a legit NBA PG.

Rhylan
04-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Slam said Qyntel Woods would be this year's ROY. Nuff said.

oh by the way.. those And1 mixtapes are a sign of the apocalypse.

Putting the ball inside your shirt and dribbling it again is AGAINST THE RULES.

Guarding a guy all the way out to 35 feet so that he can bounce the ball off your head and run right past you is DUMB.

Big Boy Laroux
04-01-2003, 10:14 AM
yep, rhylan... i agree.

I saw some of that streetball show on espn2, and they talked about rafer's stint with the bucks. i think the quote was "rafer's street game didn't really translate well into the NBA game." then they showed a clip of him coming down court and doing his skip-thing. the ref promptly called traveling. the look on alston's face was priceless.

you know you don't belong in the nba when you get consistently called for traveling... traveling! in the nba! unheard of!

Ummmmm Ok
04-01-2003, 10:19 AM
<< yep, rhylan... i agree.

I saw some of that streetball show on espn2, and they talked about rafer's stint with the bucks. i think the quote was &quot;rafer's street game didn't really translate well into the NBA game.&quot; then they showed a clip of him coming down court and doing his skip-thing. the ref promptly called traveling. the look on alston's face was priceless.

you know you don't belong in the nba when you get consistently called for traveling... traveling! in the nba! unheard of! >>

Yea but I wouldn't want to play him one on one though...

04-01-2003, 06:01 PM
hes just a basketball entertainer

in the NBA hes useless

TripleDipping
04-01-2003, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say that he's useless. He does possess quickness and creativeness in his game. He might be a serviceable backup PG if he can &quot;skip&quot; all those streetball BS in his game (all puns intended).
By the way, it's Alston.