PDA

View Full Version : SA might sign Garnett in 2004 instead of signing anybody this year?

Ummmmm Ok
04-04-2003, 08:24 AM
<< Thorn says ball in Jason's court

By OHM YOUNGMISUK
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Rod Thorn has read it all season. One week, Jason Kidd is gone. The next, Kidd is staying.
Kidd's future has been interpreted, dissected and scrutinized every which way. And all the while, the Nets president tries his best not to read into any of it.

&quot;I'm sure there will be positive things, negative things (written) regarding him,&quot; said Thorn, whose team plays Miami tonight at the Meadowlands. &quot;I can't be concerned about it right now. We will just have to wait and see.&quot;

Lately, though, Thorn and the Nets have to love what they are reading. For the past week, Kidd has been talking like a man ready to call New Jersey his permanent home. On Wednesday, Kidd said: &quot;My whole agenda is to be a Net. We'll see come July 1.&quot;

This comes after he said last week he will be here when Kenyon Martin and Richard Jefferson are in their &quot;prime&quot; and that he does not want to be with the Nets unless Martin, who is eligible to sign a contract extension this summer, is signed long-term.

There is speculation by some that Kidd has already made up his mind. Earlier in the season, a league source said that as long as the Nets pay Kidd the maximum - somewhere in the range of six years for $102 million - the superstar is staying put.

It appears San Antonio is really the only option outside of Jersey that fits Kidd's criteria. While the Nuggets, Clippers and Jazz are expected to have cap space, the Spurs will have that and Tim Duncan to offer.

But San Antonio, expected to pursue Kidd, also has options. If Gary Payton doesn't re-sign with Milwaukee, the Spurs could grab him for less money. And there are whispers of the Spurs waiting until next summer, when Kevin Garnett becomes a free agent.

That, though, appears to be a backup plan if Kidd decides to stay in Jersey, according to a source. &quot;If he has (made up his mind), he hasn't let anybody know,&quot; Thorn said. &quot;He obviously likes it here and we have a good team. We have tried to do everything to make it a positive situation and hopefully he will want to stay here and we will be able to get something done. But until it happens, it hasn't happened.&quot;
>>

Usually Lurkin
04-04-2003, 08:42 AM
shut up! shut up!

[hands over ears]

lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala
lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

mavs_afroman
04-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Doesn't Nick's contract expire in 2004 as well. That could have played a role in not trading for Grant.

Chiwas
04-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Garnett and Duncan together?

&quot;you should it dunk&quot;

&quot;yeah, I should it dunk&quot;

Ummmmm Ok
04-04-2003, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't put too much into it right now.

San Antonio would have to take a big gamble on passing up all the available free agents this year, and they would also have to feel very confident that they could sign Garnett. Now if Garnett's T-wolves go 0-4 in the first round, than you might see Garnett bolt for another team in 2004. Still a huge gamble.

San Antonio would be smart to sign Resign Timmy and Malik Rose, let Parker have the PG spot, sign a scoring threat at the SG *maybe Stackhouse if he doesn't use the Player option he has available in Washington*, and sign Elton Brand. Use the rest of the money to sign backup players and scrubs. A lineup of Parker, Stackhouse, Bowen, Brand, and Duncan would probably put them over the top.

Right now all San Antonio has in dedicated payroll for 2003-2004 is roughly 6 million. Those players that are signed are: Bruce Bowen, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker. Thats it!!

As much as I F%^&amp;ing hate to say it. San Antonio did a very nice job of cutting payroll for next season. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

MavKikiNYC
04-04-2003, 09:49 AM
<< Garnett and Duncan together?

&quot;you should it dunk&quot;

&quot;yeah, I should it dunk&quot; >>

S-V-O, Chiwas. S-V-O.

jayC
04-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Magic and Kareem. That is very frightening especially if they win the title this year. Why would san antonio do it kidd is a great point guard but the spurs might have one in Tony Parker. So it makes perfect sense except that KG would have to take a big paycut to go. He will be eligible for like a 40% increase in salary with the grandfather larry bird clause poised to make 30 million or so.

Ummmmm Ok
04-04-2003, 11:34 AM
<< Magic and Kareem. That is very frightening especially if they win the title this year. Why would san antonio do it kidd is a great point guard but the spurs might have one in Tony Parker. So it makes perfect sense except that KG would have to take a big paycut to go. He will be eligible for like a 40% increase in salary with the grandfather larry bird clause poised to make 30 million or so. >>

But nobody is going to pay him 20 million, much less 30, and that includes Minny. Garnett has said earlier in the year that he would be willing to take less money to stay in Minny, but they will have to open up their check books and get him some help. But I have a feeling that if they lose in rd 1 this year and maybe rd 2 next year, that he will bolt.

Besides, doesn't he already have more money than he can spend anyhow?

Evilmav2
04-04-2003, 01:26 PM
http://www.karljaeger.com/large%20images/KG-Dunc.jpg
Scary, scary speculation...

sturm und drang
04-04-2003, 02:55 PM
I think San Antonio has done a brilliant job sculpting a great team on that payroll. The fact that they are awesome right now *and* one of only 5 teams that can pay max money this summer is simply amazing. I think making a run at Kidd would be a horrible mistake for them, with Parker on the trajectory he's on... so let's all hope they go for him!

Regardless, they're going to be very good for years to come, unfortunately.

Rhylan
04-04-2003, 03:55 PM
look at the guy's name --

By OHM YOUNGMISUK

That ought to say it all. He's probably some wannabe onion.com guy or something.

Ummmmm Ok
04-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Heres the link to the story... (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/72696p-67324c.html)

Kevink00012
04-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Introducing the next Kobe-Shaq, MJ-Scottie duo...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that might be good for a title or two.

jayC
04-10-2003, 11:55 PM
That is a big risk for san antonio. Brand and Duncan would be scary too. J'Oneal and Duncan would also. But more than likely KG will come in a sign and trade to at least get close to 20 or so million. UMm it is all about the money after all, just ask rashard lewis.

FilthyFinMavs
04-12-2003, 05:02 PM
I thought Duncan has been said not to like the 5 position? I guess KG could play the 3 but I don't believe this story at all. I admit it is scary speculation but I don't see it becoming true. I don't see KG staying with the T-Wolves but after seeing how KG loves the money I see him going to a team were he can be the lone ranger. Not in a duo or 2nd tier to Duncan.

Kevink00012
04-12-2003, 09:21 PM
If KG was that interested in being the 'top dog' he would be averaging about thirty-five points a game in Minnesota.