PDA

View Full Version : MJ as Chicago's GM? Heard on Tony Bruno

jayC
04-07-2003, 11:39 AM
The guy that rid the bulls of phil jackson and MJ left the bulls today Jerry Krause. Will MJ leave the wizards and come back to Chicago.

Dooby
04-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Not unless they offer MJ a piece of the pie. Hmmmmmm...pie.

Ummmmm Ok
04-08-2003, 10:54 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bside08.html

Top candidates are Paxson, B.J.

April 8, 2003

BY ROMAN MODROWSKI STAFF REPORTER

When Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said Monday he plans to hire Jerry Krause's replacement within the next month, it was an indication that Reinsdorf had a pretty good idea whom he would be hiring.

Bulls radio analyst John Paxson and Krause assistant B.J. Armstrong are the top two candidates, according to a team source. The possibility exists that both will become executive vice-presidents of basketball operations, with Paxson filling the traditional GM role and Armstrong taking on more responsibility in personnel matters. A third candidate could be former Krause assistant and current Indiana Pacers assistant coach Jim Stack.

Paxson is finishing his seventh season as a color commentator and is considered to be an astute judge of talent. Michael Jordan tried to hire Paxson as a coach for the Washington Wizards in 2001, but Paxson didn't want to uproot his family and spend so much time away from his wife, Carolyn, and his sons, Ryan and Drew.

But as Bulls GM, Paxson wouldn't have to move his family and would be spending less time traveling than if he were a coach.

Paxson spent nine of his 11 NBA seasons with the Bulls, winning three NBA championships. He was an assistant to Phil Jackson for the 1995-96 season. He might have enjoyed a more prominent role in the organization if not for a shaky relationship with Krause, according to a team source.

Paxson doesn't have front-office experience, but Reinsdorf could ease the transition by hiring a player personnel director.

Paxson's, brother, Jim, is the general manager of the lowly Cleveland Cavaliers. And though Paxson has seen his brother experience the stress of trying to rebuild a franchise, he recently said it wouldn't scare him away from the job.

Armstrong, 34, is finishing his third season as the special assistant to the general manager and was considered the heir apparent to Krause. Armstrong played seven of his 11 NBA seasons with the Bulls, including a key role on three championship teams. Armstrong is more experienced than Paxson as far as general-manager duties, such as scouting.

Stack spent 13 seasons with the Bulls and was a vital member of the organization during the six championships. He is experienced in scouting, negotiations and analysis. Stack, 41, left the Bulls in 2000 because he thought Krause would stay in his role for the foreseeable future.

''That's home to me; my kids are there,'' Stack said. ''I've always been a Chicagoan. I'd have interest.''