PDA

View Full Version : Shaq is a pappy....

Drbio
04-19-2003, 11:23 PM
It's a boy....

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The wife of Shaquille O'Neal gave birth to a baby boy early Saturday, eliminating the possibility the Los Angeles Lakers center would skip a playoff game to witness the birth.

Shaunie O'Neal gave birth to the couple's third child at 1:52 a.m. at a Los Angeles-area hospital, team spokesman John Black said.

The baby's name is Shaquir Rashaun O'Neal.

O'Neal was excused from Saturday's practice. He was scheduled to fly on his own to Minneapolis late Saturday for Sunday's opening game of a first-round playoff series against the Minnesota Timberwolves, Black said.

"We're really happy for the delivery of a child and the fact that everything's safe and sound and we can go forward from there,'' coach Phil Jackson said. "Hopefully he can get to Minneapolis, get some rest and be ready to play the first game. That's a pivotal game for every team.'' Jackson added, "It looks a lot like Kobe but that won't be a distraction."

O'Neal had said he could not rule out missing a game to witness the birth. The due date was April 27, the same day as Game 4 of the best-of-seven series between the Timberwolves and the Lakers.

Teammate Kobe Bryant said he would not be surprised if O'Neal had a big game Sunday despite his expected late arrival in Minneapolis.

"You just roll off the adrenaline,'' said Bryant, who scored 48 points in a 2001 playoff game at Sacramento after leaving the team to attend to a personal matter.

The birth comes days after the death of O'Neal's maternal grandfather, Sirlester O'Neal. Funeral services are expected to be held this week in South Carolina, Black said. O'Neal is expected to attend.

The birth of O'Neal's son and death of his grandfather are not a distraction to the Lakers, Bryant said.

"If it was a distraction, it's a distraction that we don't care too much about because his family is obviously more important than the game,'' Bryant said. "We're more than happy to deal with it and do whatever it takes to help him and his family get to a place to have some sort of peace.''

Subliminal012
04-20-2003, 03:39 AM
shaquir? wtf kind of name. Sounds like shaq-queer, kids will probably make funo f him. But i would just tell my dad adn then he would eat them....anyways. That's good i was hoping he wouldn't miss a playoff game.

Drbio
04-20-2003, 01:54 PM
I can't believe noone caught the added line in this story....i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

NashFan1341
04-20-2003, 02:57 PM
<< Jackson added, &quot;It looks a lot like Kobe but that won't be a distraction.&quot; >>

I felt this was a little out of place i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Drbio
04-20-2003, 03:30 PM
hahahaha

grbh
04-20-2003, 10:53 PM
I was just about to quote that.

Nash13
04-21-2003, 05:30 PM
I think it's cool he had a baby. People need to learn how to keep personal life out of basketball.

mavsfanforever
04-22-2003, 09:50 PM
<<

<< Jackson added, &quot;It looks a lot like Kobe but that won't be a distraction.&quot; >>

I felt this was a little out of place i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif >>

I did not know Jackson had a sense of humor. I thought Nellie is the best in that.

Drbio
04-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Oh my. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif