PDA

View Full Version : Official 2003 Draft Thread

Ummmmm Ok
04-28-2003, 11:08 AM
I thought this was interesting. This writer had Lebron go 3?

Notebook: Milicic is draft's unknown (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/134684039_nbanotes27.html)

By Seattle Times news services

LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony are the familiar. Darko Milicic is the mystery man.

With the NBA draft still two months away, that gives NBA personnel plenty of time to argue in favor of the familiar and against the unknown.

So far, that isn't happening. Quite the opposite, in fact.

While most try to find flaws in James' game and figure out just what Anthony does best, Yugoslav Milicic remains a hot topic.

Milicic, a 7-foot 17-year-old, has drawn several NBA scouts and general managers, including the Miami Heat's Randy Pfund, overseas to see whether he is a top-three pick.

All the reviews have been glowing.

"I would hate to be a general manager who has to make the No. 1 pick," said Lonnie Porter, a longtime college coach who recently watched tapes of Milicic. "It may be a blessing not to get No. 1, which without a doubt will be used to get LeBron James. By popularity, it goes LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and then Darko Milicic.

"But the best player, in my opinion, is probably in this order. I am going to have to go with this kid Milicic, Carmelo two and LeBron three."

One of the factors that has Milicic grading high with NBA personnel is the level of competition he has faced. At the same age, James played against high-school players with limited college potential, much less pro potential.

Milicic, meanwhile, plays against professional adults. His competition in the past year included Nenad Krstic, a New Jersey Nets first-round pick; Milos Vujanic, a New York Knicks second-round pick; and Marvin O'Connor, the 2001 Atlantic-10 Conference player of the year.

About 10 more NBA team officials will be at Thessaloniki, Greece, next weekend to watch Milicic compete in the final four of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) Cup.

"There is a reason a lot of NBA people are going to Greece, and it's not because the fishing is good," said Milicic's agent, Marc Cornstein. "People want to see Darko in a competitive setting."

Rhylan
04-28-2003, 11:28 AM
All you had to do was look at that one short white kid on LeBron's team to understand where this writer was coming from. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

..trust me, I was a short white kid once i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

04-28-2003, 04:09 PM
i think lebron will go #1 no matter what

he will fill the seats and sell jerseys, not to mention hes good

Ummmmm Ok
04-28-2003, 04:27 PM
No question that Lebron will go #1 just because of all the attention hes getting and the team he goes to will sell out alot of games, I just think personally that its going to take him 3 years before he comes into his own, if he ever does.

I think that the question should be.....Who goes #2? Probably Darko does as its so hard to find talented big men, but what about talented Point Guards that just won the NCAA Championship?

So I guess it comes to what team you are on, on which player you "should" pick up. Unfortunately they will probably go with the media and go Lebron, Darko, and Carmelo.

Like "I" think a Team like Cleveland would probably be better off getting Carmelo. A Carmelo, Davis, Miles, Boozer, and Z would be a pretty good team. They would be young, but a little Veteran pickup with the MLE should solve solve some of that.

A team like Miami would be a good place for Carmelo as well. A lineup of Carmelo, Eddie Jones, Butler, Allen, and Grant would be good.

A team like Denver could go with Lebron, as they would have the time to wait and let him grow into his superstardom.

But a team like the Clippers have alot of talent around the guards-forwards would be better suited for a Darko as he can replace Olowakandi.