PDA

View Full Version : Lets play: Guess who the Spurs will get in the offseason...

Ummmmm Ok
04-29-2003, 09:15 AM
I am going to go with Jermaine Oneal with the max contract. Indiana is about to lose in round 1. He has said that he is going to stay faithful to the Pacers because they stayed with him as he came into super stardom, but we all know money talks and San Antonio has enough to lure him away from Indy.

I am going to go with Gary Payton as the other contract that they get. Gary will go to San Antonio because he knows he can start at the 1 or the 2 and to go after a ring. San Antonio will go after Payton because they are unsure of Parkers ability in the playoffs, and they know Payton can play defense which is what San Antonio does so well.

Starting lineup for 2003-2004
PG: Tony Parker, Kerr
SG: Gary Payton, Ginoboli
SF: Stephen J., Bowen,
PF: Duncan, Rose
C: Jermaine O., Willis

seelenjaeger
04-29-2003, 09:32 AM
Odom and Payton.

Dooby
04-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Ummmmm Ok, for your roster to work, the Spurs will have to convince Kerr, Stephen J., Rose, and willis to take minimum contracts and that still leaves them with two open roster spots.

Ummmmm Ok
04-29-2003, 09:57 AM
<< Ummmmm Ok, for your roster to work, the Spurs will have to convince Kerr, Stephen J., Rose, and willis to take minimum contracts and that still leaves them with two open roster spots. >>

See I have been thinking about this lately, and I have talked to a couple of people in here in PM's and this is what I have come up with. But I might be wrong.

I read this:

<< 27. Can a team sign all the free agents it wants (up to the cap limit) and THEN re-sign its own free agents using the Bird exception?

Yes, but there's a restriction. A team's free agents continue to count as team salary (against the salary cap). This charge is called the &quot;free agent amount.&quot; So there may not be enough money under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all the cap room.
>>

Maybe I misread this but all San Antonio has to do is calculate all of the guys they plan to keep. This comes up to $26,214,578 dedicated payroll. Use the rest of the money to use on Payton and Oneal up to the cap.

They won't have Robinsons, Smiths, Ferry, and Claxtons money on their payroll because they won't resign them, which is $25,976,400.

I would assume that as soon as they are no longer a free agent that they don't go against their team payroll. Duh right. So San Antonio might have to wait until these guys are signed by another team before they sign Oneal and or Payton.

seelenjaeger
04-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Why not Ferry? Isnīt he under contract till 2004?

And usually, players with expiring contracts have to be renounced or signed to get them off your payroll.

Ummmmm Ok
04-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Getting a good site that has the correct money and correct years on when they become a free agent is like asking for Charles Barkley to shut his trap hole. Just doesn't happen!!!

I have looked at other sites and some said that ferry was signed through 2004. If thats the case, you don't resign Kevin Willis. Only 12 grand a year difference between the two.

Rhylan
04-29-2003, 10:24 AM
ahhh.. makes me yearn for the good ol' days of RealGM.com.

the salaries section at hoopshype.com seems to be as close as it gets.

Ummmmm Ok
04-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Only ones that I can find that are decent:

http://jazzhoops.net/salary.htm
http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

But even than though the years are off between em. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Morphgizmo
04-30-2003, 09:20 AM
As a Spurs fan, I'll try to give you guys the low-down on our cap situation this summer.

It's unknown at this time whether Tim will opt out of his contact or not. Either way, he is going to get his contract this summer or next, depending on which way allows the Spurs more flexibility cap-wise this summer.

Ferry, Smith, Kerr, Claxton, Willis and Bateer will likely be renounced immediately so that they have no impact on the cap figure.

Stephen Jackson only made under a million this season, so his hit on the cap before he is resigned isn't very much. Plus, he's a restricted free agent, so the Spurs have the flexibility to match any offers all the way up to the MLE (~$4.5 mill or so). So regardless, it's likely he will resign after any new free agent contracts are negotiated.

Ferry and Kerr have both leaned toward retirement. However, you may see them hang on with the team for the veteran's minimum (~$1 mill). If they do stay with the team, their vet minimum contracts will be signed at the end and have no bearing on capspace. Incidentally, Ferry's contract is a two year with a team option for the second year. Most Spurs fans didn't figure out until midseason that the Spurs had given Ferry a nice going away present by paying him in the neighborhood of ~$5 million this season.

Same thing goes for Keven Willis. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign with the Spurs again in the off-season. If so, it will again be a vet minimum contract after any other new free agent contracts are signed and will have no bearing on the cap space. Bateer is in the same boat.

Smith is more than likely gone. He'll probably move back to Atlanta where he started his career and play a few years for around the vet minimum.

Claxton's situation obviously depends on whether the Spurs grab Kidd or not. The Spurs could have picked up the fourth year option of his rookie deal around the trade deadline. They chose not to however because it would have been a ~$3 million dollar hit on the cap space.

As others in this thread have mentioned, the Spurs will have anywhere between $15 and $18 million under the cap depending on where the cap ends up. (estimated between $40 and $43 million)

Rumor has it that we're probably looking at Kidd for max plus a Rasho Nesterovic, Brad Miller or PJ Brown kind of guy for the remainder. This seems the more likely option to me.

The second likely situation involves Jermaine O'Neal for max plus a veteran swing man.

Even further out on the fringe of options involves Malone and Payton. Perhaps they'll both take one year-$8 million dollar contracts for a last title run. If so, the Spurs would be in similar position next summer with Manu being the only free agent important enough to keep plus the fact that Garnett and possibly Kobe will be looming out there in free agency. Could you guys imagine Garnett and Duncan together? (wow)

I'll keep up with this thread and answer any questions I can if you have them.

jayC
04-30-2003, 02:35 PM
The pacers have to ink Jermaine. I hope that jermaine oneal and payton don't go to the spurs wow that's one helluva team.

Why would they sign kerr, he surely can't play pg at his age.

They could sign Miller, Odom, Maggette, Malone for the exception.

Parker/Miller
Maggette/Manu
Odom/Jackson
Malone/Malik
Duncan/Willis

Duncan is a good enough force in the middle to play center. Parker and Miller would be a great young pair of point guards. Manu Ginobli shows tremendous ability, Maggette adds more athletic ability and about 17 points per game.

OutletPass
04-30-2003, 02:36 PM
This is not FUN

OzMavs
05-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Welcome to the board Morphgizmo. Thanks for the breakdown, all in all, I can see winning the midwest is definitely going to be tougher next season. But it will also be sweeter when we the Mavs do it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif