PDA

View Full Version : 6th man award ...

seelenjaeger
04-29-2003, 09:38 AM
... goes to ...

Bobby Jackson, Sac To Kings

Nash13
04-29-2003, 02:15 PM
i don't think he should because he really hasn't done anything important in the second half of the season.

Ummmmm Ok
04-29-2003, 02:19 PM
From the Sacramento Bee. (http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/6536689p-7487327c.html)

Bobby Jackson is the NBA's No. 1 sixth man

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Tuesday, April 29, 2003

SALT LAKE CITY -- Kings guard Bobby Jackson will be named the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year today, according to league sources.
Jackson was the runner-up last season to former Kings and current Detroit Pistons forward Corliss Williamson but received the nod this year in voting from the league's writers and broadcasters.

Jackson started 26 games during the first half of the season while point guard Mike Bibby recovered from a broken foot.

"I thought it might have hurt me to win this award because I thought I should have won it last year," he said. "And then to start so many games and be a major part of the team, I thought some people might not think of me as a guy who comes off the bench."

Some observers believed Jackson was the team's Most Valuable Player and playing at an All-Star level while he was starting. Jackson went back to the bench when Bibby returned to action, then missed 20 games after breaking his left hand on Christmas when Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal swiped at the ball.

Jackson returned to action after the All-Star break and continued to bring a spark off the bench.

None of Jackson's teammates was surprised to learn of the impending award.

"I don't see anybody in the league making an impact like he did," Bibby said. "I congratulated him already. That's a great accomplishment. He should have gotten it last year, too."

Jimmy Jackson said he was happy for Bobby Jackson.

"It's a great accolade for what he did in the beginning of the season and continued to do when Mike got back," the elder Jackson said. "He played through the injury. I think it's a great thing for not only him, Sacramento and the organization."

Bobby Jackson averaged a career-high 15.2 points during the regular season and shot career highs of 46.4 percent overall and 37.9 percent from three-point range.

"It's a great accomplishment," he said Monday night. "I'm not an individual goal type of guy. My biggest thing is wanting to win. But it says a lot about this team and the character of this team because without these guys I would not have won it. They push me every day, just like I push them every day in practice.

"This award is for everybody on this team. I just get to take it home. A lot of great players have been overlooked, and I'm just glad I get mentioned in this category."

Jackson is known for a tremendous work ethic and a long memory.

"I look back to where I came from when I first came here from Minnesota," he said, "where they didn't want to re-sign me and said I couldn't play in this league. That just made me work harder because I'm always out to prove people wrong. And my game speaks for itself."

Drbio
04-29-2003, 05:51 PM
Anyone have the remaining votes after Jax?

LRB
04-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Bobby Jax really doesn't deserve this award. After all he didn't come off the bench for over half of his team's games.

04-29-2003, 05:58 PM
nick ends up 4th? wow

2002-03 NBA SIXTH MAN VOTING

Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Pts
Bobby Jackson, Sacramento 52 29 15 362
Michael Redd, Milwaukee 33 25 17 257
Andrei Kirilenko, Utah 10 18 23 127
Nick Van Exel, Dallas 8 20 15 115
Corliss Williamson, Detroit 5 14 20 87
Malik Rose, San Antonio 6 5 12 57
Earl Boykins, Golden State 4 4 10 42
Al Harrington, Indiana 0 2 1 7
Jon Barry, Detroit 0 1 1 4
Toni Kukoc, Milwaukee 0 1 0 3
Lucious Harris, New Jersey 0 0 1 1
Keon Clark, Sacramento 0 0 1 1
Joe Johnson, Phoenix 0 0 1 1

David
04-29-2003, 06:09 PM
No Najera? i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

sa_mavs_fan
04-29-2003, 07:36 PM
I thought Michael Redd deserved it the most...

Drbio
04-29-2003, 08:40 PM
I thought Redd would win, but NVE being down that far kind of surprises me too. (awaits the murph response....)

Ummmmm Ok
04-30-2003, 07:34 AM
<< No Najera? i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif >>

Classic!!!

jayC
04-30-2003, 11:42 PM
Mike Redd would have been a great fit here. Especially to finally get away from the nick and nash combination.

05-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Malik Rose was at least as important to the Spurs as Bobby to the Kings. Only 6 1st place votes for him, I really expected more.