PDA

View Full Version : TJ Ford to enter draft

aexchange
04-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Longhorns' T. J. Ford will enter NBA draft
04/30/2003

By RANA L. CASH / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN Ė Texas sophomore point guard T.J. Ford will forgo the remainder of his eligibility and declare himself eligible for the NBA draft, sources close to the Texas basketball program confirmed Wednesday.

Ford is expected to make his announcement at a news conference Thursday.

A consensus national player of the year, the 5-10, 165-point guard won the Wooden Award and the Naismith Award this season after leading the Longhorns with 15 points and 7.7 assists per game.

Once Ford enters the draft, he would be widely considered the top point guard available and would likely be selected somewhere between the fifth and tenth pick of the draft.

The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Denver Nuggets need point guard help.

One source close to Ford said that Fordís draft status is too strong for him to remain in school.

"I have no comment," Ford's father, Leo Ford, said from his home late Tuesday in Houston. "I have no comment at all."

After Texas' run to the Final Four in New Orleans, where it lost to eventual national champion Syracuse in the semifinals, Ford said he planned to return to play for the Longhorns next season. But he indicated recently that he would consider turning pro.

Ford has until May 12 to enter the draft. He then would have until June 19 to return to Texas if he does not retain an agent.

Ford could be one of the top 10 players selected. The top prospects are high school sensation LeBron James and Syracuse freshman Carmelo Anthony.

NBA scouts are impressed with Ford's quickness and his court vision but have said he needs to improve his outside shooting and gain more strength to defend the league's bigger guards.

Dooby
04-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Gee, I thought he'd want to come back and when that coveted "Big 12 Player of the Year" award.

kg_veteran
04-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Hope he develops a jumpshot.

ames7
04-30-2003, 04:06 PM
As a UT student, I'm a little disappointed he won't be back, being that that puts a huge dent in our hopes in the tournament next year, but I wish him the best of luck. It'd be interesting to see him somewhere like Denver.

04-30-2003, 04:21 PM
<< It'd be interesting to see him somewhere like Denver. >>

or LA

madape
04-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Beware the undersized PG who can't shoot.

TJ does have the quickness for the NBA. As a Texas fan, it will be fun to see him play next year. Here's to hoping he doesn't get stuck playing for the Clips.

Drbio
04-30-2003, 11:25 PM
As a Baylor fan, I fully support TJ in this decision. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

FilthyFinMavs
05-01-2003, 04:41 PM
I told you guys that TJ would leave after this season.

I forget who it was who made this comparsing but TJ Ford is like a Jay Williams without the jumpshot. While Jay Will had his troubles this season imagine how it's going to be for TJ who doesn't have a jumpshot.

BrianJ
05-01-2003, 04:46 PM
He is going to suck, but alot of how bad he will suck depends on what kind of system he is in. If he were to play in a triangle offense like JW. He might possibly be the worst pg in the league.

aexchange
05-01-2003, 04:49 PM
<< He is going to suck, but alot of how bad he will suck depends on what kind of system he is in. If he were to play in a triangle offense like JW. He might possibly be the worst pg in the league. >>

i'll bet you he won't. i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif obviously, if he plays in a triangle offense, he won't be as productive as he would be if he played in Golden State's. ford has it. that intangible quality, and the drive to will his team to victory. since chicago has a glut of PG's, i highly doubt they would take ford with williams and crawford on board. kidd when he came into the league had less of a jumper than ford, and wasnt nearly as good defensively as he is now.

if he works on things, he'll be a superstar. not just a star, a bonafide superstar. if all it took to make it in the league was a nice jumper, steve alford would be in the hall of fame by now.

weren't you the same guy who was telling me the mavs should pick up kyle korver?

UGH. enough said. i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

BrianJ
05-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Yeah, But not with the 6th pick in the draft. The mavs have got the same role players as last season. No one else has played in the postseason. If you want Ford to come in and disrupt things or play gimmick ball like Boykins, thats fine. But don't take him with the top ten picks in the draft.

You don't pick want to be superstars with late 1st and 2nd round picks. Look at last years draft(except Battier), no past 15 has done anything.

Edit: And further more I still stick with my Korver thoughts. Yeah he is slow and cant handle the ball to save his life, also his team lost in the 1st round. But this guy was Creighton basketball. Imagine a guy that can't dribble who is double teamed all the time who still that good from 3 point land. He might not be what we need if we can't pick up a bruiser or at least one guy with crazy athleticism, but if WW is allowed to through up junk in the reg season, then this guy could lead the league in 3 point shooting and he is a great passer who has got actual teammates to finish.

aexchange
05-01-2003, 05:14 PM
<< Yeah, But not with the 6th pick in the draft. The mavs have got the same role players as last season. No one else has played in the postseason. If you want Ford to come in and disrupt things or play gimmick ball like Boykins, thats fine. But don't take him with the top ten picks in the draft.

You don't pick want to be superstars with late 1st and 2nd round picks. Look at last years draft(except Battier), no past 15 has done anything.

Edit: And further more I still stick with my Korver thoughts. Yeah he is slow and cant handle the ball to save his life, also his team lost in the 1st round. But this guy was Creighton basketball. Imagine a guy that can't dribble who is double teamed all the time who still that good from 3 point land. He might not be what we need if we can't pick up a bruiser or at least one guy with crazy athleticism, but if WW is allowed to through up junk in the reg season, then this guy could lead the league in 3 point shooting and he is a great passer who has got actual teammates to finish. >>

1. kidd was taken with the second pick of the draft. based on your reasoning, he should have been taken 26th, with the great wesley person being taken in his place. no offense, but to some degree outside shooting can be taught. blazing speed and xray vision can't.

2. we do not need slow, stiff, immobile lugs to stand at the 3 point line and launch bombs. if that were the case we could sign manute bol out of retirement.

3. your assertion that ford is like boykins is laughable. mainly b/c ford is about 6 inches taller than boykins and also boykins was known as almost nothing but a scorer coming out of eastern michigan. has ford ever been known as a scorer?

BrianJ
05-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Kidd is a rebounding machine. He is also not only quick but powerful on his layups. And on top of that he is good, but there are probably 5 guys I would rather have or who are equal to him.

aexchange
05-01-2003, 05:18 PM
<< Kidd is a rebounding machine. He is also not only quick but powerful on his layups. And on top of that he is good, but there are probably 5 guys I would rather have or who are equal to him. >>

at PG?

BrianJ
05-01-2003, 05:26 PM
I assume you are questioning the 5 guys and not the fact that he is a great rebounding point guard. Different systems fit different players so its hard to say who is the best pg overall. But I don't worship Kidd like many other fans. He is good but he is not in a class all of his own.
Larry Brown's system is set around AI. Is AI good, yes. Would have been that good and confident if he was not developed into the player that he is? Could some other now scrub do the same things if they were given that much faith? Dirk would be peddling sausages on the side of the street if it were not for Nellie, so I think the system makes the player and not the other way around.U can't put Ford in a system where he will be a star.

05-01-2003, 09:06 PM
5 people equal to kidd? are u kidding me?

BrianJ
05-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Yeah its pretty hard to argue after the guy gets a tripple double tonight. It would take away from any point I make. Perhaps I should emphasis the = to even have a fighting chance. He is defenitely the best fit for the Nets if thats what you want me to say.