PDA

View Full Version : No Finley for US team

MavsFanFinley
04-30-2003, 10:00 PM
I figured he'd be overlooked, but I was still hoping.

Bryant, Iverson, O'Neal added to Olympic team

April 29, 2003

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- Kobe Bryant was added to the U.S. basketball team Tuesday, along with Allen Iverson and Jermaine O'Neal.

They completed what USA Basketball called a ``core group'' of nine players for the Olympic qualifying tournament to be played in August in Puerto Rico.

The players also are expected to be members of the 2004 Olympic team.

The Associated Press reported earlier this month that the USA Basketball selection committee had chosen the three players; the formal announcement came Tuesday.

In addition to Bryant, O'Neal and Iverson, the team includes Ray Allen, Mike Bibby, Jason Kidd, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan and Tracy McGrady. The team is expected to add three other players from college or overseas.

``They have paid their dues in our league,'' said Philadelphia 76ers coach Larry Brown, who will coach the U.S. team. ``It is a great honor for them, and I am happy for all three of them.''

Brown has had his differences with Iverson on the 76ers, but the coach said: ``From a personal standpoint, I am thrilled to death. It just shows the respect that everyone in the league has for Allen and what he has done.''

Drbio
04-30-2003, 11:24 PM
It sucks. Finley was the only one that played with his heart on the last US team. I guess that was conveniently overlooked.

jayC
04-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Can't really argue with the selections though.

Drbio
04-30-2003, 11:44 PM
<< Can't really argue with the selections though. >>

Agree for the most part. It just sucks.

MFFL
04-30-2003, 11:47 PM
Rats

Ummmmm Ok
05-01-2003, 08:25 AM
I heard that they still need to add (3) more players, and they will either be from college and or NBA Role Players. I heard that Brad Miller's name was mentioned as one of these role players.

Lineup:

PG: Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby
SG: Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson
SF: Tracy McGrady, Ray Allen
PF: Tim Duncan, Karl Malone
C: Jermaine O'Neal, Brad Miller

I almost feel sorry for the rest of the world playing against these guys. Well I said almost i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

aexchange
05-01-2003, 08:31 AM
i think finley still has a chance of recieving consideration.

fin for team USA! all the way!

OK! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

madape
05-01-2003, 08:41 AM
I'd have a tough time betting against a game between those guys and a game between:

PG: Gary Payton, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury
SG: Michael Jordan, Jalen Rose, Michael Finley
SF: Paul Pierce, Latrell Sprewell
PF: Kevin Garnett, Chris Webber
C: Shaquille O'Neil, David Robinson

Ummmmm Ok
05-01-2003, 09:06 AM
Why isn't Garnett on the WC team? I would rather have Garnett start at the PF and move Duncan over to Center than to have Duncan at PF and Oneal at Center. Than you wouldn't need to ask Brad Miller to play.

Could the WC team ask Lebron James and Carmello Anthony to play for them? That would only leave one player left and it goes to: MICHAEL FINLEY. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

PG: Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, Carmello Anthony
SG: Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Lebron James
SF: Tracy McGrady, Ray Allen, Michael Finley
PF: Kevin Garnett, Karl Malone
C: Tim Duncan, Jermaine O'Neal

MavKikiNYC
05-01-2003, 09:07 AM
I think Fin needs rest in the off-season(s) more than affirmation. He's great pro and a warrior. This kind of honor is just fluff.

madape
05-01-2003, 09:15 AM
I might have a little bit of a problem with college age guys playing, but I sure as hell don't want a high school kid playing. College freshmen should stay at home too.

Ummmmm Ok
05-01-2003, 09:27 AM
They would play probably 3-5 minutes a game at the most with all the talent we have. But the main reason I wanted them to play is to get them used to the speed. Hell, Lebron and Mello can sit the bench for the entire team, and the US would still kill everybody with the guys that are on this team. This team is the allstars from both the east and the west. Scary ass team!!!

aexchange
05-01-2003, 09:32 AM
i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/34933.htm

Ummmmm Ok
05-01-2003, 09:48 AM
<< In a surprise move, Jefferson is expected to be named along with the Clippers' Elton Brand and college standout Nick Collison of Kansas. >>

I can understand Brand and Jefferson as they will just be role players and they don't have ego's so they wouldn't have a problem sitting the bench. But why is Nick Collision there? Is this the best we could get?

madape
05-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Collison is the best senior in the NCAA, period.

Ummmmm Ok
05-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Hes an undersized 6'9&quot; PF playing in the NBA with no athletic ability. Now that I think about it, reminds me of Najera. Najera is an inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter though.

But you did say that he was the best Senior and thats only because most of the talent gets picked up between their freshman and sophomore years. But going by talent that is entering this years NBA draft, all classes included, Nick will be a late lottery to 1st round pick.

madape
05-01-2003, 10:08 AM
The college selection on the Olympic team is more like a reward. Kind of an appeasment to the college ranks for taking the team away from them. Guys who spend four years in school are the ones who should get rewarded, not the dropouts. If this were based solely on the ability to contibute, no one in college would be selected. In any case, a college senior is much more likely to be able to contribute than some snot nosed high school kid. This isn't the NBA draft, this is the Olypmics. You don't pick the player based on potential. This is a one time shot, only. LeBron would get SMOKED out there, Carmello as well. They are just too inexperienced and too raw. I'm not saying Collison is going to be a major contributor, but right now his experience puts him way above those guys.

MavsFanFinley
05-01-2003, 10:08 AM
They say one thing, do another.

First, they wanted to make sure they picked team players. They didn't want any repeat situations like Pierce and Baron Davis from the World games. They wanted players that were stand up on and off the court.

That's why I find the Iverson selection strange. What about Kobe Bryant? How many wanna bet Kobe will make it about himself?

They also wanted to stay away from players that were involved in the World games. Yet, when names started surfacing Finley's was the only one mentioned for not only being one of the lone bright spots, but for his on and off the court record.

They have Jermaine O'Neal on the team and possibly Elton Brand now. Obviously they add something Finley doesn't. Size, rebounding, inside presence, but I'm still a little sore about Fin being overlooked.

TheKid
05-01-2003, 11:29 AM
What pisses me off about NOT taking Finley is that Kobe, Kidd and Duncan all chose NOT to be on the US National team last year just because they wanted to rest. Now they are the ELITE players, but they passed up on the opportunity, therefore they should SOLELY ask Finley because he was the best on that team last summer.

Also when talking about international experience, Finley has more than ANY of the players that are on the team. He's played on FOUR US teams now and has played well each and every time he's played.

You can't argue that the team they chose is a great team, HOWEVER you can argue that Finley is just if not more deserving to be on that team then half the players on there.