PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan 2003 NBA MVP

spurs2150
05-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Acording to league scources Tim Duncan will be named the 2002-2003 MVP, becoming the 1st player to win the award back to back since Jordan, the NBA is expected to announce it on Sunday may 4, 2003.

Drbio
05-03-2003, 12:03 AM
go away troll.

And this belongs in the Around the NBA forum not here.

But you are too ignorant to understand that.

spurs2150
05-03-2003, 12:05 AM
sorry i know this night must have been hard for you with a 20 plus point loss, but just trying to give some info here.

Drbio
05-03-2003, 12:12 AM
No you aren't. You only come here to gloat and be an ass. It's well known and none of us will buy your crap.

nowitzki_prophecy
05-03-2003, 02:47 PM
you see,now thats just aint fair,KG deserved the MVP much more than Duncan.

LRB
05-03-2003, 03:12 PM
<< you see,now thats just aint fair,KG deserved the MVP much more than Duncan. >>

Not if you go with the best player on the best team theory. It's hard to argue with Duncan's MVP vote. SA finished the strongest, had the best record, and Duncan was head and shoulders the best player on that team. KG played well on a team that had a good but not great record. A team BTW that exited in the 1st round once again.

MavKikiNYC
05-03-2003, 03:37 PM
<< A team BTW that exited in the 1st round once again. >>

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

LRB
05-03-2003, 03:39 PM
<<

<< A team BTW that exited in the 1st round once again. >>

Not that there's anything wrong with it. >>

Sounds like the Nellie mentality has gotten to you Kiki. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

05-03-2003, 05:48 PM
I thought they voted for the season play not the playoffs. But im still sure they still include the first round anyways.

LRB
05-03-2003, 07:59 PM
<< I thought they voted for the season play not the playoffs. But im still sure they still include the first round anyways. >>

Well the theory is that they vote for the season. But it sure seems that 1st round in the playoffs has an effect.

TVI
05-03-2003, 08:07 PM
<< go away troll. >>

Drbio, you toss that term around too easily. I question if you really understand what a troll is. Nothing in this post even comes close to meeting the qualifications for trolling. In fact, if it was intended to be a troll, it would rank as the worst troll I've ever seen.

Please explain this to me. How does this thread, or his post qualify as a troll? Is there anything in there that could be considered flame bait?

jayC
05-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Good for Duncan he deserves it. If not the mavs then san antonio is my other rooting interest.

nowitzki_prophecy
05-04-2003, 05:44 AM
first off,they gave a hell of a fight to team thats looking for a forpit(if theres such a thing).

KG had to handel with much much less talent.
though Troy.H started playing in the playoffs,KG had to be the PG for almost the entire season,thats why he's leading the assists in his team.
Wally isnt even worth mentioning,awful playoff,and a very mediocre season.
he didnt get the load of KG.

while duncan has Tony who finished with something like 15.5/5.5 or something like that,S.Jackson adding 12 points a game,10.5 ppg and almost 7 boards a game for Malik Rose,and ofcourse D.Rob with 8/8.
so how does that compare to Rashos 1.5 blocks a game or so?

Kevin brought the T-Puppies to the best season they ever had ALL ALONE!!and gave a hell of a fight to the Lakers.
not to mention he has better stats than Duncan.

i think the buttom line is that he is more importent to his team,than Duncan.
dont forget SA beated us while Duncan was out.
i doubt the T-puppies would have even given us a fight without KG.

LRB
05-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Bottom line is that KG's team didn't fare as well as Duncan's in either the regular or post seasons. Like it or not that is a major componet of MVP.

nowitzki_prophecy
05-04-2003, 02:20 PM
yea,but if you put MJ in his best years all alone in a team,he'd have a much worse Standings in the reguler and worse performance in the playoffs.(btw,i dont think SA would have done any better than the T-Pupps against the lakers)
MJ had support,and lots of it,to get their amazing standings and success in the playoffs.
i think the last player that won a championship all by himself was Wilt with Phili,and thats a over 40 years ago.
the point is,KG was much much more importent to his team,and got to a point in the offseason NO OTHER PLAYER COULD DO ALL BY HIMSELF.
duncan could'nt get the T-Pupps to the #5 seed.
what Kevin did with that team is just amazing.
bring the man another all star caliber player and you got yourself a western conference finals team.

MavsFanFinley
05-04-2003, 02:24 PM
It showed the results on ABC's shootaround.

I forget the numbers, but it really was between Duncan and Garnett.

I believe the order went like this:

Duncan (900 something votes)
Garnett (700 something votes)
Kobe (400 something votes)
T-Mac
Shaq

If someone finds the results, if you could post it, and make the corrections from what I went by on memory.

nowitzki_prophecy
05-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Pts
Tim Duncan, San Antonio 60 38 18 2 0 962
Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 43 49 17 3 4 871
Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 8 13 41 35 15 496
Tracy McGrady, Orlando 4 12 30 46 15 427
Shaquille O'Neal, L.A. Lakers 3 4 3 13 14 126
Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 0 2 3 9 27 83
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas 0 1 2 2 20 43
Ben Wallace, Detroit 1 0 2 2 7 33
Jason Kidd, New Jersey 0 0 2 3 12 31
Chris Webber, Sacramento 0 0 1 4 2 19
Jamal Mashburn, New Orleans 0 0 0 0 1 1
Steve Nash, Dallas 0 0 0 0 1 1
Paul Pierce, Boston 0 0 0 0 1 1

Kobe over tracy and shaq is just sad,Kobe is the most unvalueble player to his team on that list.
i'd put KG first,TD,than Shaq,than Tracy,than whatever.

MavsFanFinley
05-04-2003, 03:53 PM
How much you wanna bet that one vote for Nash is from Walton? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Thanks for posting the results NP.

thebac
05-04-2003, 05:43 PM
My understanding is that they vote before the playoffs, so I don't think the first-round exit matters.

Either way, I agree with the choice. Duncan, a top-five player, best player on the best team in the NBA. I don't see how Duncan has a lot more to work with than KG, but he gets a lot more out of it.

mavsfanforever
05-05-2003, 09:45 AM
I think Duncan deserved it this year more than last year. Last year it was Kidd's but they gave it to Duncan.

Fidel
05-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Dirk at seven. Thatīs actually higher than I expected. Heīll be top 5 at least next year.

Drbio
05-05-2003, 11:45 AM
<<

<< go away troll. >>

Drbio, you toss that term around too easily. I question if you really understand what a troll is. Nothing in this post even comes close to meeting the qualifications for trolling. In fact, if it was intended to be a troll, it would rank as the worst troll I've ever seen.

Please explain this to me. How does this thread, or his post qualify as a troll? Is there anything in there that could be considered flame bait? >>

TVI- if yo uread all the drivel and crap this guy has posted here you would agree. His only agenda during the end of the season was to gloat...not to contribute. This was another attempt at that. I'm glad the legitimate members here have turned it into a good chat, because the topic itself is a good one....but the spurstard has only come here to troll in the past. It's not jsut this post.....and I am very aware of what constitutes a troll. I don't need your help in calling one out.

Ummmmm Ok
05-05-2003, 12:09 PM
What is a troll? (http://dallas-mavs.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=4&amp;threadid=8616)

nowitzki_prophecy
05-05-2003, 01:56 PM
he was defenitly trolling,he just posted that TD thread just to tease and anoye,i agree with doc on this one.

TVI
05-05-2003, 04:13 PM
<< TVI- if yo uread all the drivel and crap this guy has posted here you would agree. His only agenda during the end of the season was to gloat...not to contribute. This was another attempt at that. I'm glad the legitimate members here have turned it into a good chat, because the topic itself is a good one....but the spurstard has only come here to troll in the past. It's not jsut this post.....and I am very aware of what constitutes a troll. I don't need your help in calling one out. >>

He may very well be a jerk, a pest, an annoyance, etc., but that doesn't necessarily make him a troll, nor should it be cause to react to all future posts as if they were trolls.

A troll can be both one who engages in the act of trolling, or the actual act itself. If you are calling him a troll (re-iteratively), based on past posts, then I suppose it would not be inaccurate to reuse the definition in future responses (however, if he is indeed trolling, then your responses are simply adding fuel to his fire).

But in this case, the post contained nothing but a factual statement. This post, by itself, doesn't qualify as a troll----although the poster may. It would be analogous to posting something like: &quot;Dirk Nowitski scored 31 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to help the Mavs defeat the Blazers in game 7 of their Western Conference first round series.&quot; Nothing in that statement qualifies as &quot;trolling.&quot; Even if were to be posted in the Blazers newsgroup, it wouldn't qualify as a troll. A troll would have to contain something much more speculative, and outrageous such as: &quot;Dirk exposes Rasheed's foolishness as a hoops has-been by hanging 31 and 11 on him.&quot;

Remember, by definition, a real troll must contain some sort of outrageous claim, which is backed up by just enough evidence to lend a shred of creedence to the outrageous claim. And when trolling, the more outrageous, the better, as it will gather many, many more replies from the clueless.

I remember way back when, in r.s.b.p., a poster named Judden had the most amazing troll going on for years! In fact, it got so amusing, that people who knew full well that it was a troll, were actually trying to expose the holes in the troll, and in Judden's 'logik,' just for fun. Sort of an anti-troll troll, in reverse. Check out Deja sometime. You'll get quite a kick out of it. In essense, Judden had years worth of posts and 'evidence' which 'proved' that Michael Jordan was only an 'average basketball player' who would be nothing without the backing of David S(a)tern and company. Here's an example of his writings:

================================================== ===
The refs can only go soooo far. To go too far would be to
openly admit &quot;we cheat for jordon&quot;. After Nick Anderson took
the incompetant jordon's rock, what could they do? What could
they do when Mahmoud Abdul-jordon and his 41% shooting self kept
chucking up brick after brick? Defenders quit guarding him, cuz
they knew he was a chucker...so how can the refs call a foul when
no one is within 3 feet of him?

jordon jocker!
================================================== ===

Click, just for fun! (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=judden&amp;start=10&amp;hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=5lsofr%24t4f%40abc.ksu.ksu.edu&amp;rnum=15)

mavsfanforever
05-05-2003, 04:25 PM
<< Acording to league scources Tim Duncan will be named the 2002-2003 MVP, becoming the 1st player to win the award back to back since Jordan, the NBA is expected to announce it on Sunday may 4, 2003. >>

Spur2150 came back after a long time since he knows his favourite team is in trouble facing lakers. He used to be a mavs fan when mavs went 14-0 and turned his back when spurs won midwest.

jayC
05-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Hold on Wally last year was an all-star. Nesterovic they talk about being a top five center in the league. Stop giving this guy excuses. Their interior is much better then ours. Troy Hudson killed us every time we played them and he lite up the lakers.

The spurs have similar problems come on kevin willis the starting center for most of the season. Malik Rose just a better najera are their stars. Stars hardly. Parker is good but sucked for most of the series against steph. Just as many spare parts on san antonio then as are on minnesota.

They both had similar stats and Duncan swept LA in the regular season an accomplishment no MVP candidate can have. If you are goina hold that crap MJ could never win an MVP because some regarded Pippen the second best player. If you recall the year jordan retired that team won 55 games. The moral of the story to be great you have to have a supporting cast too. Duncan has similar stats in points rebounds and he even became a better passer in the phoenix series. Duncan had a few 20 rebounding performances against the suns and a triple double. He is also a force in the paint with what three blocks off the top of my head. I win.