PDA

View Full Version : Hornets fire Silas

LakerMania
05-04-2003, 04:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0504/1549172.html

NEW ORLEANS -- The New Orleans Hornets fired coach Paul Silas on Sunday.

Silas finished the regular season as the team's career victory leader, with a record of 208-155 in three seasons. The Hornets finished third in the Central Division with a 47-35 record, and lost to Philadelphia in six games in the first round of the playoffs.

The Hornets said in a news release that Silas' coaching staff also would not return next season.

"We would like to thank Paul and his staff for all their efforts and hard work during their coaching tenure and with them the very best in their future opportunities," team majority owner George Shinn said in the release.
-------------------------------

Dumbasses

MavKikiNYC
05-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Makes no sense, but whatever.

Silas deserves better than Shinn.

MavsFanFinley
05-04-2003, 05:19 PM
I like Silas, that's too bad.

He should find another job for sure.

thebac
05-04-2003, 05:40 PM
That seems so senseless. Silas' contract was set to expire soon anyway. Shinn probably wants to get a new coach that he can have for cheap.

ocelot_ark
05-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Maybe Silas can come over to Texas and coach somewhere ;-)

mavsfanforever
05-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Rockets job maybe open but I think he will go to Toronto.

MavKikiNYC
05-04-2003, 08:10 PM
<< Rockets job maybe open but I think he will go to Toronto. >>

Rudy's done?

aexchange
05-05-2003, 08:41 AM
<<

Rudy's done? >>

rumors are swirling that with the way the team underachieved this season, rudy is either on the verge of being done, or is on the hot seat.

MavKikiNYC
05-05-2003, 09:33 AM
That's too bad.

Don't think Silas is a good fit for the Rockets--doesn't have a reputation as a good teacher or developer of talent, which is what the Rox need.

Silas' best work has been in taking a talented group, imposing some discipline, earning their respect and getting them to play cohesively.

If Walsh would dump Thomas, Indiana might be a good opportunity for him. I think Silas would be good with J.O'Neal, would get good mileage out of O'Neal and Miller, and would be more likely to rein in Artest than Thomas.

Other than that, not sure where he could step into a head coaching spot right now.

aexchange
05-05-2003, 09:37 AM
rumors are hot silas will end up in the new charlotte franchise.

i think he'd be a good fit for indiana as well. thomas is clueless, and quite possibly the worst coach since john lucas.

mavsfanforever
05-05-2003, 09:43 AM
But I heard J'Oneil doesn't wanna play for anyone other than Thomas.

Just211
05-05-2003, 10:19 AM
I'm sure Cubes wouldn't mind having one more assistant i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

LRB
05-05-2003, 10:29 AM
<<

<<

Rudy's done? >>

rumors are swirling that with the way the team underachieved this season, rudy is either on the verge of being done, or is on the hot seat. >>

Well Rudy's health isn't the very best either. Fighting cancer is no laughing matter. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Drbio
05-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Silas was jobbed. That was a no class move.

signoftimes
05-05-2003, 01:50 PM
That is a crap way to treat Silas.

I still don't want him here.

LRB
05-05-2003, 04:53 PM
<< Silas was jobbed. That was a no class move. >>

Has anyone ever accused the Hornet's owner of having even an ounce of class. Look how the SOB treated the city of Charlotte and all the loyal fans there.

MavKikiNYC
05-05-2003, 09:17 PM
<<

<< Silas was jobbed. That was a no class move. >>

Has anyone ever accused the Hornet's owner of having even an ounce of class. Look how the SOB treated the city of Charlotte and all the loyal fans there. >>

As a matter of fact I think Shinn has been accused of sexual harassment more times than he's been accused of having class.

Rhylan
05-05-2003, 09:51 PM
<< But I heard J'Oneil doesn't wanna play for anyone other than Thomas. >>

If that's true, Jermaine O'Neal ain't gonna ever win shizzle.

scooterj5
05-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Do they honestly think they can get someone who will do better than Silas has, especially with the injuries N'Orleans has had? I also saw Silas' reaction on Sportscenter, which was incredibly classy.

Drbio
05-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Silas is classy....Shinn is not.

jayC
05-06-2003, 09:46 AM
Seeems to me that this opens the door for our good friend Avery Johnson. A good floor general on the court maybe a better one off it.

A little off topic, but what if this happens? We trade Avery Johnson +3 million to be a player coach to New Orleans for PJ Brown. That way the mavs keep their exception and can go after a small forward or perhaps some more beef in the starting lineup. I belive that PJ has been a 4 time all defensive pf.

Jibba Jabba:
Out west its a powerforward's league more than its a centers league anyway. This still could lead the way for Malone.

nash
finley
Stephen Jackson
Dirk/PJ Brown
Malone/Bradley

Raef should be a fifteen minute a night guy not a 30 minute a night guy. Malone and Bradley fight for the center spot.

Drbio
05-06-2003, 10:08 AM
The days of player-coaches in the NBA are over. And why would they want to make that trade? I see your point, but it's wishful thinking. But I do agree with you that Avery is coaching material.

David
05-06-2003, 02:42 PM
I think PJ Brown is an unrestricted free agent.

jayC
05-07-2003, 05:36 PM
You are missing the point rather then use your exception on PJ you keep it via the sign and trade plus 3 million. PJ can get 6 or 7 million.

mavsfanforever
05-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Just heard Paul Silas joins the Mavs as a consultant and will travel with mavs on road games with Sacremento.