PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... Looks like the lakers can't play defense either.

dude1394
05-07-2003, 10:04 PM
So what is it, the lakers can't play defense and that's why they are down by 17???

OzMavs
05-07-2003, 10:16 PM
No, they are just running out of spares.

Murphy3
05-07-2003, 10:21 PM
two of their better players are out..that doesn't help.

DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31
05-07-2003, 10:25 PM
doesnt matter.. two of our better players are out( big brad and lafrentz).. we need those 2.. they are our version of shaq..hahahahhaa... no excuses

ariosto
05-07-2003, 10:25 PM
The Lakers can't play good defense. A big part of there championship was defense-oriented role-players. All those guys are either over-the-hill now or on the injured list. Two great offensive (and defensive) players can't cut it against a team like the Spurs, who have a full roster of effective players.

dude1394
05-07-2003, 10:29 PM
I guess I can give you fox, but not 31 points worth..... Maybe that 33.

ariosto
05-07-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing. The Lakers used to get good or great D from Fox, Horry, Shaq, Goerge, and Kobe. When they were a really great team they had Horace Grant, too. Fox and George are out, Horry is a senior citizen in NBA years, Shaq has slowed considerably. That leaves them one good defender in Kobe. They are not a good defensive team anymore, and because of that they will not make it past the second round.

Their defensive stats, like field goal percentage and especially 3-point fg%, were way down this year, even though Shaq and Kobe scored as much as ever.

dude1394
05-07-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm not "arguing" diddly. If the shoes fit, they fit. It's obvious that right now the defending nba champion is playing defense about EXACTLY the same as the mavs did last night. True or not???

jayC
05-07-2003, 10:40 PM
Think about the list of good role players they have lost over the 3 peat: Glen Rice, Horace Grant, Ron Harper, lindsay hunter all good role players. And before that they lost nick van exel, eddie jones and elden campbell are you kidding me. That's a west playoff team right there.

The title failure is due to the penny pincher Jerry Buss.

dude1394
05-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Hmmm... I think some of it has to do with large shaq resting on his laurels has something to do with it as well. "We're talking about PRACTICE man, PRACTICE, NOT A GAME".

Having your stars dog it in the off-season catches up with you.

ariosto
05-07-2003, 11:00 PM
<< I'm not &quot;arguing&quot; diddly. If the shoes fit, they fit. It's obvious that right now the defending nba champion is playing defense about EXACTLY the same as the mavs did last night. True or not??? >>

Sorry to sound antagonistic before. But if you are a making the point that the Lakers are playing equally bad defense as the Mavs, I agree. If you are making the point that the 3-time champs are playing the same defense, so we don't need to improve ours, I disagree. The 3-time champion Lakers played great defense. The 2003 out-in-the-second-round Lakers play terrible defense.

WayOutWest
05-07-2003, 11:40 PM
The defense is pretty bad for the Lakers right now but what's just is bad is how poorly the Lakers are executing on offense. Kobe is really screwing the Lakers right now by not running the offense through Shaq. Shaq is killing the Spurs and he's still not getting the touches he should. When Shaq gets frustrated with his teammates not giving him the ball he starts commiting offensive fouls.

This is not looking good. Against the TWolves the Lakers lacked effort but against the Spurs they are just getting out played.

OzMavs
05-08-2003, 01:40 AM
I looked at the stats:

For the 2 games v. Spurs:
Kobe 25-62
Shaq 20-34

It looks pretty bleak from that point of view. Is this close to the usual for LA?

Drbio
05-08-2003, 08:14 AM
<< The defense is pretty bad for the Lakers right now but what's just is bad is how poorly the Lakers are executing on offense. Kobe is really screwing the Lakers right now by not running the offense through Shaq. Shaq is killing the Spurs and he's still not getting the touches he should. When Shaq gets frustrated with his teammates not giving him the ball he starts commiting offensive fouls.

This is not looking good. Against the TWolves the Lakers lacked effort but against the Spurs they are just getting out played. >>

It's because Kobe thinks he is the #1 option and that is just not the case. When Shaq leaves the game, Kobe will be exposed as a good NBA player, but not the megastar he thinks he is.

madape
05-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Fire Phil Jackson!! Fire the GM! Dismantle the team! Hire Van Gundy!

WayOutWest
05-08-2003, 09:26 AM
<< It's because Kobe thinks he is the #1 option and that is just not the case. >>

I totally agree. At times it seems he hasn't learned anything over the past 3 years.

<< When Shaq leaves the game, Kobe will be exposed as a good NBA player, but not the megastar he thinks he is. >>

I totally disagree. Kobe is a megastar, the problem is the team is built around Shaq. Stand still spot up shooters who feed of the double team in the post. When the team is re-tooled to be built around Kobe he will put alot of the doubters in their place.

ariosto
05-08-2003, 09:48 AM
<< Fire Phil Jackson!! Fire the GM! Dismantle the team! Hire Van Gundy! >>

The Lakers probably will make some changes this off-season. They are not in the same position as the Mavs, however. They have just won 3 championships, and their team is aging and winding down. They will probably wait for Shaq to retire and then start building around Kobe, assuming they can resign him.

The Mavs, however, are in the hunt for their first championship. They have a lot of talent but haven't been able to make the leap into 1st place yet. They are at a similar position as the Lakers were about 4 years ago, when they had Shaq, Eddie Jones, a young Kobe, and Nick Van Exel, who now, or course, is a Mav. They were coached by Del Harris, who, or course, is now on the Mavs coachin staff. They went on their championship run after they fired their coach, and traded away their excess stars for a streamlined roster filled with defense-oriented role-players.

I don't buy the implied argument that because the Mavs are doing about as well as a former championship team on the decline, that we are in a good position and don't need to make any changes. These Lakers are not the same as the Lakers that won three championships. No team has had enough energy to win 4 straight since the 60's Celtics. Every great team will decline after a few years. If you want to stay at the level of a former championship squad, that is now one of the best teams in the league, that's fine. We are one of the best teams in the league right now. I'm certainly happy about that. But if you want a championship, or at least enough progress to get the Western Conference Finals, some changes will probably have to be made to the Mavs' roster, coaching staff, or both.

Drbio
05-08-2003, 02:29 PM
WOW- if that ever happens I will gladly admit it, but I doubt Kobe will ever be the leagues most dominant player like Shaq is widely considered to be.