PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ainge

MavsFanFinley
05-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Just heard on TNT (inside the NBA) that the Boston Globe is reporting (tomorrow's edition) that they have asked Ainge to take over basketball operations in Boston.

mavsfanforever
05-07-2003, 11:44 PM
I heard that too. This is probably a result of Vin Baker trade.

LRB
05-08-2003, 01:09 AM
Well I hope for the Celtic fans he doesn't take John Thompson with him. One of those idiots is bad enough, two would be beyond bearable.

jayC
05-08-2003, 02:48 PM
I am just glad to get ainge off the air, I can't stand that guy. Replace him with thunder dan.

Ummmmm Ok
05-08-2003, 03:54 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/daily/07/celtics_ainge.htm

Ainge offered head of basketball operations job for the Celtics
By Jackie MacMullan, Globe Staff, 5/7/2003

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Former Celtics guard Danny Ainge has been offered the job of head of basketball operations for the Celtics, according to team sources.

The new Celtics ownership group, headed by Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca, met with Ainge on "at least two occasions" and were impressed with his frankness, knowledge of the game, and ideas about how a team should be run, according to one of the sources. Ainge has not yet given the Celtics an answer, the other source said, but is seriously considering their offer.

If Ainge, 44, says yes, it would not spell the end of general manager Chris Wallace's tenure in Boston. Wallace, who was signed to a three-year extension by owner Paul Gaston in one of his final acts before he sold the club last September, would be retained in a diminished role, according to the sources.

Reached last night at the Meadowlands, where he was broadcasting Game 2 of the Celtics-New Jersey Nets series for TNT, Ainge said, "I know Steve Pagliuca. I have had conversations with him, but I can't tell you what those conversations were about." Grousbeck, who serves as the spokesman for the ownership group and was here for the game, declined comment.

Ainge has never made a secret that his long-term goal was to run a team. He coached the Phoenix Suns from 1996-99, posting a record of 136-90. In subsequent years, he was approached by other teams about coaching opportunities but declined. He has said one of the few jobs that would lure him out of the broadcast booth would be an NBA front-office spot. The new Celtics ownership has spent time reaching out to alumni since it officially gained control of the team Dec. 31. In a recent interview, Grousbeck stressed, "The tradition of this great franchise is something we value, and something we'd like to uphold. Part of that is having great players from the past involved with our team."

Ainge was one of the first of those former players Grousbeck and Pagliuca contacted and from whom they solicited advice. Team sources also said the new owners have had conversations with Hall of Famer Kevin McHale, who runs the Minnesota Timberwolves, and former Celtics great Dave Cowens, who was fired as head coach of the Golden State Warriors last year. But when it came time to tender an offer to run their basketball operations, their top choice was Ainge.

If Ainge does accept the job, he will have to uproot his family, which includes three children still in school. He also has a granddaughter who lives in the Phoenix area. Concerns about spending enough time with his family played a large part in his resignation as coach of the Suns.

Ainge played for the Celtics from 1981-89 and was one of the most popular players on the team, both with the fans and his teammates. He was noted for his intelligent analysis of the game and his unfailing penchant for candor. In February 1989, Ainge and Brad Lohaus were traded to the Sacramento Kings for Joe Kleine and Ed Pinckney. Ainge later played for the Portland Trail Blazers but finished his career in a Phoenix uniform.

jayC
05-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Its almost like good luck. If they hadn't made the trade for Baker they would have had andersons huge contract come off the books this season.