seelenjaeger
05-14-2003, 01:52 PM
When is it this year?

aexchange
05-14-2003, 01:56 PM
i believe in a week.

Dooby
05-14-2003, 02:54 PM
I heard it is in primetime on its own 30 minute show this year.

signoftimes
05-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Draft Lottery is May 22.

signoftimes
05-22-2003, 09:16 AM
Lottery tonight. 7pm channel 8 (ABC)

Drbio
05-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Go Nuggets!!!!

Ummmmm Ok
05-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Kiki has done a wonderful job unloading money and bad contracts there in Denver. If anybody deserves to have "king" lebron James it should be the Nuggets. Throw Gilbert Arenas and Maggette on that club and maybe resign Howard and they could be a pretty interesting team come next year.

Drbio
05-22-2003, 09:59 AM
I actually hope they take Darko Milicic.

MavsFanFinley
05-22-2003, 10:07 AM
If it's anyone other than Cleveland, I bet they take Lebron and work a trade with Cleveland.

Ummmmm Ok
05-22-2003, 10:14 AM
If they are smart they would. If I was Denver and I got the number 1 pick, I would draft Lebron and trade him to Cleveland for Darko (or whoever they drafted) and Darius Miles.

Dooby
05-22-2003, 12:18 PM
The lottery should only be a deterent against tanking games. It shouldn't result in the team with the worst record getting the first pick only once in 18 years. IMO, the team with the worst record should have about a 40% chance of getting the no. 1 pick.

LRB
05-22-2003, 03:01 PM
<< The lottery should only be a deterent against tanking games. It shouldn't result in the team with the worst record getting the first pick only once in 18 years. IMO, the team with the worst record should have about a 40% chance of getting the no. 1 pick. >>

I completely agree. The lottery is just another way of King David to manipulate things and make people bow down and kiss his ring.

ames7
05-22-2003, 07:18 PM
The Cavs have won the LeBron Lotto! The Grizz got screwed, their #2 pick goes to Detroit, which is scary. Who goes second &amp; third--Darko or Carmelo?

Mavs Rule
05-22-2003, 07:18 PM
Did the lottery go as the probabilities say they would? Did anyone move up against the odds? I know Cleveland had the best odds and won the first pick.

Evilmav2
05-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Hmmmmm... Will the Pistons opt for the instant offensive shot-in-the arm of Carmelo Anthony to help them in the playoffs now, or will they look to the future and draft the possible greater talent of Darko?

If the Pistons do draft Carmelo, will Kiki be happy to land Darko, or does that pick not make any sense for a team that already drafted a long-term, but immensely promising talent like Nikoloz Tskitishvili?

This draft is going to be incredibly interesting from beginning to ending. I can't wait...

Mavs Rule
05-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Conspiracy Theorists take a look:

MONROE: Behind the scenes at draft lottery
BY MIKE MONROE
FOXSports.com
May. 22, 2003 9:19 p.m.
SECAUCUS, N.J.—
The danger, of course, was the Knicks winning the NBA draft lottery Thursday.
You think the conspiracy theorists would have bought that one?

The Cavaliers won the right to draft hometown hero LeBron James, of course, and there was something right and proper about that.

A franchise that’s owned by a life-long Clevelander who is one of the nicest men in all of pro sports definitely deserved a break.

It would have been nice had the Nuggets gotten the second pick, too, but at least the Nuggets didn’t drop out of the big three. That means they’re going to get either Darko Milicic or Carmelo Anthony, and if you believe the experts that means they’re going to be a whole lot better in the next few seasons, too.

The Raptors got bumped out of sure thing territory.

“Guess the draft starts in Toronto,&quot; Raptors general manager Glen Grunwald said.

Detroit wasn’t a first-person lottery participant, but may have been the biggest winner of all in the drawing that took place in a smallish conference room at the NBA’s TV studios here.

We’re talking about the team that had the best record in the Eastern Conference this season and they’re going to add either Milicic or Anthony to a roster that doesn’t need all that much help to be a true title contender.

But Detroit isn’t New York, so the idiots who believe the NBA fixes these proceedings will have to bite their tongues for a while.

It never ceases to amaze me how anyone truly can buy the belief that a league that is based on competition among teams of millionaires that are owned by billionaires would even dream of conspiring to make sure players like LeBron James wind up in places like New York, Los Angeles or Chicago.

But that’s why I was sequestered in the conference room, along with one representative of every lottery team and a whole bunch off NBA legal, security and public relations types.

Did I say sequestered?

Nobody was allowed in or out before or after the selection process.

We had to check your cell phones at the door.

If you had to take a “rest break” you were accompanied by an NBA security employee.

Five neutral media representatives were invited to observe the actual lottery drawing Thursday.

“I’m not sure why,&quot; an NBA executive vice-president for legal affairs said.

Well, it’s because of the conspiracy idiots, and in a draft that includes a player expected to be so good he’s already signed a $90 million endorsement contract with Nike, we were there to make sure everything was on the up-and-up.

Mainly, we were there in case the Knicks somehow got the top pick.

You think the league wasn’t worried about that happening?

“If we get to the ninth pick and it’s not the Knicks,&quot; said deputy commissioner Russ Granik, well aware that would mean the Knicks had moved at least into the top three, “you’re going to see me turn very pale.&quot;

After watching the physical process Thursday you can take my word for it: There is no way the process could be “fixed.&quot;

This is not a simple reach-in-a-hopper-and-pick-out-some-ping pong balls process any longer.

Gordon Gund (left), owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers, holds a Cavaliers jersey with LeBron James' name with Russ Granik, NBA deputy commissioner, after the Cavs won the No.1 draft pick in the NBA draft lottery.
Mike Derer /
Associated Press

Think state-run lottery.

In fact, the league uses the very same kind of lottery “hopper” that most state lotteries use, made by Smart Play, the same company that supplies most states.

A representative of Smart Play was in the room to make sure the machine worked properly. Had it broken down, a second machine was in an adjoining room.

But the machine worked without flaw.

There were 14 balls, numbered one through 14, placed in the clear plastic machine, then mixed with a stream of air for 10 seconds before a slide was opened to allow one ball to be drawn up.

The process continued until four numbered balls were picked.

There are 1,001 possible combinations of four numbers, selected from 14 numbers. One thousand of them were assigned to the 13 teams, 225 to the Cavs and Nuggets, 157 to the Raptors, 120 to the Grizzlies, 89 to the Clippers, 64 to the Grizzlies, 44 to the Bulls, 29 to the Hawks, 15 to the Knicks, 14 to the Wizards, seven to the Warriors, six to the Sonics and five to the Rockets.

The Rockets didn’t care that their chances were pretty much nil. They already had traded the pick to the Grizzlies.

The Grizzlies cared plenty about their pick. The only way they got to keep their own pick was to get the very first pick. Otherwise it went to the Pistons.

They came close, but Jerry West got to smoke no cigar.

Come to think of it, that probably would have gotten the conspiracy theorist jaws to flapping, too.

It doesn’t matter much, but here is the order the balls came up in for the LeBron James pick: 6, 2, 3 and 12.

Had the fourth ball been a 1, the pick would have gone to Denver.

They were the only teams that had the first three numbers among their combinations.

Take that, conspiracy theorists.

NBA Draft Lottery
The official selections unveiled Thursday evening:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Detroit Pistons (from Memphis)
3. Denver Nuggets
4. Toronto Raptors
5. Miami Heat
6. L.A. Clippers
7. Chicago Bulls
8. Milwaukee Bucks (from Atlanta)
9. New York Knicks
10. Washington Wizards
11. Golden State Warriors
12. Seattle Sonics
13. Memphis Grizzlies (from Houston)

Burlison: Lottery pick predictions

Inside the lottery: Our own Mike Monroe was one of few reporters backstage as the ping pong balls were picked and filed this exclusive behind-the-scenes report.

Senior writer Mike Monroe covers the NBA for FOXSports.com and can be reached at his e-mail address, mmonroe@foxsports.com.

Nash13
05-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Denver is looking at their position and are calling Detroit and Cleveland suckers. Because more than likely, they'll end up with Carmelo Anthony, who is better than James. Denver will get exactly what they want out of the lottery no matter who picks who.

Cleveland is the biggest Suckers b/c they eventually will have to do something they don't want to do. If they pick James, that would mean they would have to trade Ricky Davis, or trade Darius Miles and put either James or Davis at the small foward, both would be undersized.

FilthyFinMavs
05-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Lebron is 6'8 and 250. Putting him at the 3 spot wouldn't make him a underzied 3. HE is actually built like most Power Fowards ala Kurt Thomas or Kwame Brown.

LRB
05-25-2003, 11:22 AM
<< Lebron is 6'8 and 250. Putting him at the 3 spot wouldn't make him a underzied 3. HE is actually built like most Power Fowards ala Kurt Thomas or Kwame Brown. >>

I agree FFM, LeBron is definitely not undersized to play the 3 spot.