PDA

View Full Version : What has Rick Adelman done for the Kings lately?

David
05-14-2003, 05:48 PM
This story is taken from kings at sacbee.com.

Ailene Voisin: Pointing fingers? Focus on Adelman
By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Sports Columnist - (Published May 14, 2003)

DALLAS -- As it turns out, the wrong coach has been pummeled with questions about his future and his offensive philosophy these past few weeks. Don Nelson, who was placed on the griddle, calmly turned a cheek and has his Mavericks positioned within a game of the conference finals. Rick Adelman, meanwhile, who has enjoyed a cushy, comfortable existence while nurturing a playoff-deprived squad into a member of the NBA elite, is staring at another elimination game and early offseason retreat.

But this is as far it goes.

The smooth ride, that is.

If the percentages remain consistent and the winner of Game 5 of a best-of-seven matchup ultimately prevails -- that would be the Mavs -- then the Kings again will be left gazing over their shoulders, contemplating more squandered postseason opportunities. Only this time, their coach will be forced to address a liberal list of probing, if familiar questions. Where is the inside game? The poise of a playoff-seasoned club? The ball movement? The execution? Most glaringly -- and significantly -- where is the discipline?

This has become a habit.

The Kings leading, the Kings dictating, the Kings collapsing.

The Kings losing, trying to answer rather than overwhelm an opponent, feebly attempting to play someone else's game instead of working to their own strengths and relying on their superior depth, inside play and all-around skill.

Quite frankly, the Kings are better than this. Even without their best player, Chris Webber, the Kings are too gifted to start slipping and sliding all over the court like a roster filled with turnover-prone, postseason rookies. Missing free throws and open looks can be frustrating, but understandable. The issue is more complicated than that, and never more apparent than during that microcosm of a second half, when from the inbound play until the final buzzer, the Kings looked as if they had never held a basketball. Or contested jump shots. Or boxed out underneath. Or had a clue about exploiting a team that normally operates with a gaping hole in the middle, or doing much of anything else.

How do you spell Wilt?

The second-half breakdown was so dramatic, the identity crisis so acute, that centers Raef LaFrentz and Shawn Bradley doubled as superstars. For a while there, you almost forgot Shaq spent the evening in a different Texas city. For a while there, even the nemesis NBA champs seemed less formidable.

No, this was different. This rout was worse. Unlike other lopsided playoff defeats during Adelman's five-year tenure -- and before this series, there have been surprisingly few -- the Kings afterward were bewildered, angry, shaken. All professed to know the solution -- exploit the Mavs' interior and play smarter, sort of a controlled frenzy -- yet no one could explain how or why this is all happening again.

Exacerbating the mood is the fact that these were neither the Lakers nor the Spurs, against whom the Webber-less Kings realistically have little chance.

These were the Mavs, sweet-shooting but small.

"I don't think we're deliberately not trying to do what the coach says," said Doug Christie, "but it was like the other night (Saturday). When Vlade (Divac) went out with foul trouble, we just fell apart. We start taking and forcing jumpers instead of taking the ball to the basket. We're going to have to take the ball to the basket when he goes out, whether it's posting up or, when we pick and roll, going to the hole instead of taking the jumper. Me. Bobby (Jackson). Same with Peja (Stojakovic)."

Offered Jim Jackson, furiously gathering his belongings, "We did this to ourselves. We start playing their game instead of doing what we do best, which is working inside/out. We just gave the game away, just like we did the other night."

If the Kings lose either Game 6 or 7? If you are looking for a sign?

The series will come down to a coaching decision, specifically Divac's inexplicable absence in the fourth quarter of the Kings' double-overtime loss Saturday. The numbers tell the tale: The Kings led 91-82 when their veteran center went to the bench for a breather at the end of the third quarter. Divac had been terrific, on a season-best pace with his exquisite passing, rebounds, tips, up-and-under moves. Yet in the deciding final minutes of regulation, almost until the very end, he was on the bench.

By then it was too late. The Mavs held the lead, and the momentum. Another precious opportunity squandered. Instead of the Kings returning home with a 3-2 series lead, Game 3 looms as this offseason's misery. And someone has to answer for this. And that someone is the coach. This is his offense, his defense, his players, his unstructured style, his overall approach.

Rather than privately complaining about Divac's conditioning, the veteran center should have been directed to the nearest Lifecycle. The sore-kneed Webber, who hired his own personal coach to expand his low-post game, routinely was on the floor long after outcomes had been decided. Hedo Turkoglu and Scot Pollard, ignored in recent months, were rusty offensively, unable to provide much help Tuesday. And while the Kings can indeed defend when absolutely necessary, the one thing they have not proven capable of doing is playing with any semblance of discipline.

That comes back to coaching, to the head coach.

That comes back to Rick Adelman.

Copyright The Sacramento Bee / ver. 4

Murphy3
05-14-2003, 06:48 PM
without webber, it's difficult to expect the kings to advance in this series.

Perhaps she should actually exam what she knows about basketball ... question why she thinks the Kings are that much better of a team than the dallas mavericks when the kings are without their best player

MavKikiNYC
05-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Yeah. It is curious that she would invert for Adelman the same justification she used for Nellie to assert that Cuban would be responsible for the Mavericks' projected collapse--that his failure to re-sign and extend Nellie as head coach had led to a rudderless Mavericks' ship.

Beyond curious and hurtling toward incredible is the fact that she doesn't address the effect of Webber's loss on the Kings.

I sense columnar inches crying to be filled.

David
05-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Ah, but the Kings have the DEEPEST TEAM IN THE NBA. No less of an authority than Don Nelson has said so, repeatedly. It is, therefore, the fault of the leader, Rick Adelman. It is his duty to take the heat and fall on his sword, take one for the team, volunteer to resign, whatever. There has to be an explanation for a Kings loss. It can't be the fine cast assembled to represent Sacramento. Fans and media must look elsewhere, and that elsewhere is right at Rick Adelman. There must be a fall guy, a scape-goat.

Drbio
05-14-2003, 08:28 PM
That article could have been a Jody Valade special.

MavKikiNYC
05-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Valade. My thoughts exactly.

MavKikiNYC
05-14-2003, 08:32 PM
<< Ah, but the Kings have the DEEPEST TEAM IN THE NBA. No less of an authority than Don Nelson has said so, repeatedly. It is, therefore, the fault of the leader, Rick Adelman. It is his duty to take the heat and fall on his sword, take one for the team, volunteer to resign, whatever. There has to be an explanation for a Kings loss. It can't be the fine cast assembled to represent Sacramento. Fans and media must look elsewhere, and that elsewhere is right at Rick Adelman. There must be a fall guy, a scape-goat. >>

I can respect your position here, David. Unfortunately, I think the same harsh standard of accountability will be Nellie's undoing, and I know that even though you're his most ardent admirer and defender on this board, it's clear from your position here that you will understand the undercurrents driving his departure.

David
05-14-2003, 09:02 PM
<<

<< Ah, but the Kings have the DEEPEST TEAM IN THE NBA. No less of an authority than Don Nelson has said so, repeatedly. It is, therefore, the fault of the leader, Rick Adelman. It is his duty to take the heat and fall on his sword, take one for the team, volunteer to resign, whatever. There has to be an explanation for a Kings loss. It can't be the fine cast assembled to represent Sacramento. Fans and media must look elsewhere, and that elsewhere is right at Rick Adelman. There must be a fall guy, a scape-goat. >>

I can respect your position here, David. Unfortunately, I think the same harsh standard of accountability will be Nellie's undoing, and I know that even though you're his most ardent admirer and defender on this board, it's clear from your position here that you will understand the undercurrents driving his departure. >>

Well, seeing as how Nelson hasn't done the ultimate screw up, just yet, I feel like his departure as head coach will be more down the line than next month, unless he chooses to not re-up as coach. When the Mavs won 2 games in this series, it showed an improvement over last year, by one game. I know the Mavs haven't got this series in the bag, but if they do go to the conference finals, I feel it will be 50/50 that the Mavs beat the Spurs and something less that the Mavs beat the Lakers in the next round, provided they can close it out against the Kings. If Mark didn't re-sign Nellie to coach at least 2 more years, I think Mark would come off as foolish.

MavKikiNYC
05-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Would you like some syrup to go with that waffle?

Drbio
05-14-2003, 09:40 PM
*giggle*

David
05-15-2003, 05:48 AM
<< Would you like some syrup to go with that waffle? >>

Which means, what?

David
05-15-2003, 05:50 AM
<< *giggle* >>

Said the school girl.

LRB
05-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Poor David, must be hard living life without a clue.

madape
05-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Isn't it amazing what a 7'6&quot; center achoring a smattering of disguised zones can do to confuse and confound the league's second best offense? Should it come as no suprise that the Maverick defensive intensity has resurfaced with the long awaited return of Shawn Bradley? The King's decrepid field goal shooting, the turnovers, the shot clock violations... are all halmarks of Bradley's impact on the defensive end. It was the case in the beginning of the season when Bradley was getting 25-30 minutes per game, and it is happening again now in the playoffs. Back then, Bradley's impact was considered a fluke that teams could adjust to. Now it is causing unsuspecting, overmatched head coaches their jobs and livelihoods. When will the world stop underestimating the impact of the most intimidating shotblocker in NBA history? When they get fired? I would like to think that after Adleman is relieved of his job this summer, he'd be able to escape from the pressure of NBA basketball and take a long relaxing trip to some warm tropical paradise. But I fear for his sanity as he tussles and turns in his sleep, haunted by the image of a 7'6&quot; white NIGHTMARE slashing, cutting, and grinding his hopes and dreams into a bloody pile of shit.

David
05-15-2003, 12:14 PM
<< Poor David, must be hard living life without a clue. >>

Said the blind man.