PDA

View Full Version : Victor Khryapa in Russia

Ummmmm Ok
05-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Can't believe I missed this guy. Besides we need a Russian on this team next year...I don't think we have enough culture. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif But how about him for the Draft pick?

---------------------------------------------

Strengths: Versatility. The way he plays the set offense as a wing player is impressive. He somehow finds a way to score. His repertoire includes blowing past a defender for a monster dunk, hitting the trey if he has the time to set his feet or making the double team pay with a perfect pass (including spectacular ones). Back door cuts have become a useful weapon which indicates he is adept at the strategic side of the game. He knows how to play the low post game when matched up with a smaller player. A player of certainly more than one dimension.

-- Floor general. In the Russian Under 20 team, he is the heart and the soul. The way he directs his teammates helps the coach a lot. Is cunning enough to make the adjustments. You rarely see him make the same mistake twice, however it requires time to establish a mental presence in the NBA.

-- Open court. A killer in the open court with all the mentioned weapons. A good runner of the lane (like Hedo Turkoglu or Ryan Bowen, but not the same lethal shooting level as Peja Stojakovic) as expected from a forward but also can make the half court pass with precision as well as run the middle lane as the trailer. Can play 4 positions in the open floor.

-- Upside. He still has not reached his eventual weight which is one of the indications that there is room for physical improvement. Grew 3 inches after 18. His wingspan is huge which makes him a good shot blocker. Issues like the time taken to establish a balanced stance, committing undesired reach-in fouls will probably get resolved when he completes physical development. However, the team that drafts him might elect to let him continue to develop in Europe and add him to the roster a couple of years later as in the cases like Jaric, Ginobilli.

Weaknesses: Inexperience. Has not had the chance to demonstrate his ability on the top level. Even though there have been rumors that big clubs in Europe (Real Madrid and Barcelona) are after him, he has not seen any top level competition to this point (20 years). Considering the fact that the shift of interest to European players is partly due to their acquisition of high level competition earlier than most US players, he does not have it.

-- Defensive matchup. He always prefers to defend big men to the level that his height is not much of a disadvantage. He tries to anticipate. (Recall Divac gave Shaq more trouble than any of those huge bodies on the other teams) However, the real problem is defending perimeter players which will be priority if he plays his natural position, namely SF. He basically is not used to the defensive slide to challenge Rashard Lewis, Lamar Odom or Peja Stojakovic. His team will need to excel in 5 on 4 defense. However, the fact that he is a very hard worker will help him to make up quickly.

-- Jumpshot. Needs more consistency. It looks obvious that he does not trust it even though he seems to hit whenever he takes. The form of the shot is questionable ("blockable" would be a better adjective). Also, because of the weight balance issue, he never takes a shot after putting the ball on the floor. In other words, he does not have a pull-up jumper off the dribble which limits the effect of all the shot fakes he takes because everybody knows that he is going to pass the ball if there is a crowd around the basket. Improvement on midrange game would be great and required after a certain point.

-Emir Alkas - www.turkbasket.com

---------------------------------------------

Strengths: Smart, efficient player with great fundamentals ... A versatile player who has the ability to play multiple positions on the floor. Because of this he is able to produce mismatches that he uses to his advantage ... Moves well without the ball and constantly works to get open for the quick lay-in or short jumper ... Has developed into a solid mid-range shooter although he is still far from perfect. He has shown considerable improvement from 15 feet out ... A wonderful ball handler who is capable of leading the break or driving past his defender ... Decent rebounder due to his long arms and above average leaping ability ... Excels in an open court offense as he is an adequate speed running the court and is a solid finisher in transition ... Khriapa is blessed with excellent court vision. Because of this he rarely gets trapped in double teams and always looks to set-up his teammates with the quick pass ... Has shown steady improvement and has great potential ...

Weakness: Defensively he needs to work on his lateral quickness. He seems to struggle when having to defend athletic players on the perimeter ... Unlike many of his European counterparts, Khriapa is not the seasoned pro many are at his age. The quality of his competition is questionable, limiting his development to an extent ... Shooting mechanics need to be refined as he tends to bring the ball from his waist which produces a slow release, giving his defender time to block or steal the ball ... Offensively his game remains somewhat predictable ... Confidence can wavier from time to time if he feels intimidated. Khriapa can freeze himself out of the game ... While he has back to the basket moves he doesn't posses the necessary bulk to withstand the physical pounding of the American game which will make it hard for him to set-up in the lane ... Although his shooting has improved tremendously this past year, he still has trouble shooting off the dribble as he is more of a set shooter. This could be a problem for him in terms of getting his shot off in the NBA ... Has yet to master the defensive fundamentals such as anticipation and timing that are required to be a shot-blocker ... Doesn't possess consistent 3-point range on his shot ...

-Matthew Maurer

Fidel
05-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Khryapa is the projected first round pick for the Mavs on nbadraft.net.

I donīt think it would be a good idea though to pick another swingman that canīt defend:

<< However, the real problem is defending perimeter players which will be priority if he plays his natural position, namely SF. He basically is not used to the defensive slide to challenge Rashard Lewis, Lamar Odom or Peja Stojakovic. His team will need to excel in 5 on 4 defense. However, the fact that he is a very hard worker will help him to make up quickly.
>>

Ummmmm Ok
05-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Thats where I pulled it from. It changes weekly, just pissed at myself for not seeing him before. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Here are some other personal stats for him.
Victor Khryapa
Birthdate: 8/3/82
NBA Position: Small Forward
Ht: 6-9
Wt: 210
European Team: CSKA Moscow
Hometown: Russia

I say only go after him if you don't think you can get Delfino, Pietrus, Pavel, Cabarkapa, or Vranes. This whole draft is throwing me out of wack because I see a kid like Charlie Villanueva who I see being a star, but hes a senior in Highschool and he wouldn't get much playing time here but I see him being an absolute stud.

*puts head in hands, crys and whines, WHY CAN'T I JUST SEE THE FUTURE!!!*

seelenjaeger
05-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Iīd like to grab Simon Scewzyk for the Mavs.

Avrillicker
05-20-2003, 03:34 PM
can't defend? LOL

seelenjaeger
05-20-2003, 03:43 PM
hey, weīre the mavs i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Avrillicker
05-20-2003, 06:29 PM
you misunderstood me. he shut down Bodiroga in the Euroleague semifinal,and no-one has ever done it before. Mr. Ben Wallace tried too,but failed

Sports Point
05-20-2003, 09:14 PM
If each mav could defend JUST a little better, we'd be fine. Our defense isn't THAT bad. If we slowed down our offense and played East style basketball, ya, we could hold other teams to 70 but we'd only score 86. It's all relative to ball movement up and down the court. When you have 15% more posessions than any other team in the NBA, in the NBA, the scoring is going to look out of whack. That's why I have to laugh when pumpkin head Barkley and Kenny Smith chide the Mavs defensive woes.
Here's some things I'm thinking of for the Mav's future. Nick and Nash are almost 30. True, Stockton played until 40 but he was a gym rat. San Antonio is trying to get Jason Kidd. I think Trey Park could be had with minimal effort at the end of next season when his minute go down, therefore his development stalls and he gets disenfranchised with being second chair at his natural position and looks to leave. In the draft, if they get a natural defender out of Europe, fine, but free agents and time to mature will make this team a monster.

Drbio
05-20-2003, 10:16 PM
I shis name pronounced Ka-rapa?

Hope he doesn't play like crap.