PDA

View Full Version : 5/20 Espn Insider (Kidd Staying in NJ and more talk)

OutletPass
05-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Rumors: Kidd staying in New Jersey?
By Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Send an Email to Chad Ford Tuesday, May 20
Updated: May 20
9:57 AM ET

Where is Jason Kidd going today?

After hinting to Jim Gray over the weekend that he'd love to finish his career with the Warriors, Kidd was backtracking again to New Jersey reporters on Monday.

For the past month or so, Kidd has been sending signals that he's strongly leaning toward re-signing with the Nets this summer when he hits free agency.

So what was up with the little Warriors detour?

"Jim Gray asked me and I answered," Kidd told the Bergen County Record. "He said most professional athletes, if they had an opportunity, would like to go back home. So I said, 'I know I'll get in trouble, but as a kid growing up, to play where it all started, why wouldn't I?' That would be a dream come true. And I finished by saying that probably wouldn't happen."

"To be realistic, I think I'll be in New Jersey."

Not that the Warriors wouldn't love to make that happen. There's no way they're going to be able to clear the cap room necessary to sign him outright. Their only chance would be for Kidd to demand a sign-and-trade.

Would the Warriors have enough juice to get the Nets to bite? If they could throw Gilbert Arenas into the mix, maybe. But the Warriors can only sign-and-trade him for the mid-level exception. Arenas is expected to command much more than that on the open market.

The Warriors could try to pawn off Antawn Jamison for Kidd. Or some combination of Adonal Foyle, Jason Richardson and Mike Dunleavy might get the Nets' attention. But either scenario would leave the Nets without a point guard.

As for those Spurs rumors that were so hot earlier in the year . . . don't expect Kidd to end up in the Alamo. He's doesn't think his style of play is a good fit for Gregg Popovich's system. And it appears that the Spurs are more interested in Jermaine O'Neal anyway.

The Nuggets are the only other team that really has the cash to sign Kidd straight out. If they land LeBron in the lottery, things could get interesting. If Kidd could convince another top free agent like Tim Duncan or Jermaine O'Neal to join him in Denver (the Nuggets have the money for two of them), Denver wouldn't be a bad destination.

The bottom line is that Kidd doesn't have a lot of realistic choices. He either has to risk burning bridges in New Jersey, demand a sign-and-trade or he'll have to re-sign with the Nets.

Magic looking for a point guard

Magic GM John Gabriel said that the Magic will be searching for a point guard in this year's draft.

"If you look at the history of our last three playoff appearances, the guards have stood in our way as much as anything," Gabriel told Florida Today. "We just couldn't slow them down. It's not something that can be taken lightly. We never have taken the point guard position lightly."

Dwyane Wade, Reece Gaines, Kirk Hinrich, Luke Ridnour and Leandrinho Barbosa are among the players Gabriel said he was considering.

Summer fun

The Clippers may have had a terrible season, but it appears that their young players still haven't lost faith.

Michael Olowokandi has already begun workouts in L.A. Ditto for Lamar Odom, who has already begun an intensive workout regime to begin prepping for next year.

Quentin Richardson is also hitting the court in Chicago at Hoops Gym. He's joined by teammate Corey Maggette, who's coming off his best year ever as a pro.

Is this a ploy to increase their value in the free-agent market?

At least one source close to the players doesn't believe so. "They were disappointed in how the year went and I think most of these kids feel a lot of pressure to come back next season and turn this thing around," one source said. "No one knows what the Clippers will do, but I doubt too many of them will sign a modest contract and then have the Clippers match."

Expect Odom, Maggette and Elton Brand in particular to take the team's one-year tender offer this summer and wait to become unrestricted free agents in 2004.

Workouts get started

NBA teams began working out players on Monday. . .

The Nuggets have a good idea who they'll take with their lottery pick. It's either LeBron James, Darko Milicic or Carmelo Anthony.

"I really do see those three as standing alone," assistant general manager David Fredman said. "And I'm not going to change my tune on that. I will be satisfied with one of the top three.

"People are going crazy about getting No. 1 and LeBron, and I know you're going to sell a lot more tickets. But beyond those three, there are no players, in my opinion, who will go that high. I feel pretty good about saying that."

If the Nuggets slip to No. 4? Georgia Tech's Chris Bosh and Texas point guard T. J. Ford have received a lot of attention, but sources claim that France's Mickael Pietrus could be their guy.

While the Nuggets await the outcome of the draft lottery on Thursday, they'll focus on their second-rounders for the time being.

Georgetown center Wesley Wilson, South Florida center Will McDonald, San Diego center Jason Keep, Maryland guard Drew Nicholas and Stanford guard Julius Barnes are scheduled to work out Tuesday.

Pau Orthez (Paris) forward Florent Pietrus (Michael's brother), Miami forward James Jones, Utah forward Britton Johnsen, Indiana forward Jeff Newton, St. John's guard Marcus Hatten and Boston College guard Troy Bell are scheduled to work out Wednesday.

The Warriors had Minnesota's Rick Rickert and Creighton's Kyle Korver in for workouts. Ricket showed up to the workout 10 pounds heavier than the day he left school. He's been working out at IMG in Flordia for the past month trying to add some bulk.

Rickert struggled with his shooting but Korver was red hot from the perimeter.

"If that kid works out like that for every team," one NBA source said, "he's got a shot of sneaking into the first round."

Korver, who plans to play in the Chicago pre-draft camp, is one of the best shooters in the draft. But teams are concerned about his athleticism and lateral quickness.

PIT MVP Jerome Beasley is making the most of his newfound fame. The D-2 power forward was been flooded with workout requests and the initial word is all positive. Beasley's already had workouts with the T-Wolves and Bulls.

He's in Boston today, Atlanta on Friday, Memphis on Sunday, Indiana on Monday, Phoenix on the 27th, the Lakers on the 28th and Denver on the 29th.

From the feedback I've been hearing from scouts, a strong performance in Chicago could catapult Beasley into the first round.

The Bucks had point guard Leandrinho Barbosa in for workouts on Monday. Barbosa will work out in Chicago today along with Florida point guard Justin Hamilton, Auburn small forward Marquis Daniels and Detroit swingman Willie Green.

Speaking of the Bulls, DePaul power forward Sam Hoskin, North Dakota power forward Jerome Beasley, Wisconsin-Milwaukee shooting guard Clay Tucker and small forward Florent Pietrus from France worked out in Chicago on Monday.

On Thursday, the Bulls will bring in Marquette's Dwyane Wade, Duke's Dahntay Jones and BYU's Travis Hansen.

The Celtics had Boston College point guard Troy Bell in for workouts on Monday.

LRB
05-21-2003, 01:23 PM
I'd be estatic if Kidd stayed in NJ and out of the Western Conference, especially SA. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MFFL
05-21-2003, 04:18 PM
I'd love to see the Eastern Conference start acquiring a few MORE players to balance the league out a little. The Eastern Conference is so poor compared to the West it's unbelievable.

LRB
05-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Maybe the Mavs could move to the East and become perpetual champions. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MFFL
05-21-2003, 07:13 PM
<< Maybe the Mavs could move to the East and become perpetual champions. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif >>

Actually a move would be bad. It would be like trying to sharpen a knife with a wet sponge. You can only be the best if you play the best.

OutletPass
05-23-2003, 10:55 AM
From today's reports, it seems almost certain that Kidd will stay in NJ...

that's a good place for him....

just keep him out of the west, please.

I really, really don't like the guy...even if he's got game...I just can't stomache him after the 3J's fiasco and the wife beating thing.

LRB
05-23-2003, 11:50 AM
I'm with you OP, keep the wife beater in the east.