PDA

View Full Version : ESPN predicts Mavs Pick in the draft

OutletPass
05-23-2003, 10:39 AM
The new "after the lottery" predictions are out...we are predicted to pick up this PF:

7. Brian Cook, Illinois
The line: 6-10, 240, Senior
The skinny: Cook has a great all-around game for someone his size. He's very skilled and is now equally comfortable in the post and on the perimeter. He spent most of his first three years hanging out on the perimeter, shooting jumpers. This season he's been a beast in the paint. He's strong enough now to back down his defender. He's also got a sweet turnaround jumper that's close to unstoppable because of his length. Outside, his range extends beyond the 3-point line. The problem is that teams have questions about Cook's stability. He underachieved for three years at Illinois before coming on strong this year. Teams still question his toughness and mental maturity. He's got a lottery-type game. But his other issues probably will slide him into the late first round.

MavsFanFinley
05-23-2003, 10:45 AM
When I hear stability issues, Leon Smith automatically comes to mind.

Dallas is a great environment with all the coaches and players to help someone come along. It comes down to how hard the player wants to work on his game. And if he understands that he won't get much playing time his first year cause of players ahead him.

LRB
05-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Don't know, we might have to trade Raef to keep him from being a bad influence.

jayC
05-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Might add a big guy that can play know let this big guy learn. Playing in the post is all you can ask for. With three centers none who can play in the post he might be the perfect fit.

Epitome22
05-25-2003, 03:59 AM
<< Don't know, we might have to trade Raef to keep him from being a bad influence. >>

LOL

nowitzki_prophecy
05-25-2003, 04:45 AM
<< Don't know, we might have to trade Raef to keep him from being a bad influence. >>

LMAO!!!

jayC
05-25-2003, 11:21 PM
I tell you what if our guards didn't give up so much penetration where he had to help he would be a good solid nba center.

madape
05-26-2003, 09:32 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/aleksandar-pavlovic-hd.jpg

What about Alexander Pavlovic? 6'7&quot; monster Yugo swingman who can apparently drop bombs and throw it down on your head like he was yo' mamma. From what I've read, his stock may drop because he's a selfish ball hog. Sounds perfect. I hope he drops to the Mavs.

seelenjaeger
05-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Did I mention Szimon Szewcyk already?

Ummmmm Ok
05-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Whos that?

OutletPass
05-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Aleksandar Pavlovic, Buducnost (Yugoslavia)*
The line: 6-7, 210, 20 years old
The skinny: Pavlovic is a 6-foot-7 athletic swingman who some scouts are comparing to Peja Stojakovic. While scouts say that he struggles as a defender and doesn't have a great long-range game, other teams feel he could be a kid who could come in and make an impact in year one. The rumor is that he already has a promise between 14 and 19.

Szymon Szewczyk, Poland*
The line: 6-10, 225, 21 years old
The skinny: He's a top notch prospect who is just now coming onto some NBA radar screens. He's an excellent athlete, can play multiple positions on the floor, shoots the ball well, and has a nice array of moves around the basket. To top it off, he was playing with bright orange hair when I saw him in Barcelona. He needs to add weigth and strength, and his defense needs work, but he'll go high in the second round if he keeps his name in the draft.

Ummmmm Ok
05-29-2003, 07:36 AM
<< Did I mention Szimon Szewcyk already? >>

Outlook:
Best Polish prospect his age. Great parformance close to the basket. Can rebound and block. He is a center that is tremendous athlete, with speed, quickness and outstanding elevation. It's the genes, as his father is a coach and former 1st Division player. He's a great scorer, from anywhere (3-pointers to dunks) and with any sort of shot or move, as he is a fine ballhandler. On defense, he has a lot to learn but he can block shots. He uses his athleticism to be an excellent rebounder. A super prospect!

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Brian Cook has now slipped to the 5th pick in the 2nd round and he's sliding badly.

Chicago JK
06-02-2003, 02:43 PM
thanks for the update, although I wouldn't read too much on who is sliding and who isn't. Until after the camps and personal workouts all these projections are just guesses. I am certain a couple of these foreing players will rise very fast once we get closer to the draft.

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 02:50 PM
JK...I don't doubt that some will rise....BUT many, many foreign players are skipping the workouts in Chicago....many who are projected after 15 or so....don't know if that's very smart on their part. And they may just slip.

Cook is slipping because of the "mental issue"...I'm seeing it in every mock.

Until after the camps and personal workouts all these projections are just guesses.

Right you are, but pretty educated guesses.

seelenjaeger
06-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Iīd like to get Holgerīs statement about Szimon. Hey, Novice, how about you ask him about Szewczyk and if he thinks he could fit into the Mavs system?

digit
06-04-2003, 07:01 AM
link (http://www.txu-basketball.de/team/team/szewczyk.php)

Szimon had a great season for Braunschweig in the German Basketball League...I think he has got a bright future ahead..sure, he needs lots of teaching, but which 20-year-old doesn`t?? His D needs some improvement and he often gets himself in early foul trouble...He can dunk like a mad man, but he has got the range to kill his defender from three point land, as well...he has got a strong, athletic body...good rebounder, good shot-blocker...he will take part in the Bucks`pre-draft training camp...well, IMO the Mavs should check him out...there are not many steals around when you are having the 29th pick...

madape
06-04-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Aleksandar Pavlovic, Buducnost (Yugoslavia)*
The line: 6-7, 210, 20 years old
The skinny: Pavlovic is a 6-foot-7 athletic swingman who some scouts are comparing to Peja Stojakovic. While scouts say that he struggles as a defender and doesn't have a great long-range game, other teams feel he could be a kid who could come in and make an impact in year one. The rumor is that he already has a promise between 14 and 19.

Szymon Szewczyk, Poland*
The line: 6-10, 225, 21 years old
The skinny: He's a top notch prospect who is just now coming onto some NBA radar screens. He's an excellent athlete, can play multiple positions on the floor, shoots the ball well, and has a nice array of moves around the basket. To top it off, he was playing with bright orange hair when I saw him in Barcelona. He needs to add weigth and strength, and his defense needs work, but he'll go high in the second round if he keeps his name in the draft.

OP, those profiles are helpful. Where do you find them?

Can you look up these guys for me:

http://media.telebasket.com/pics/10737_t96.jpg
Zoran Planinic

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/alexander-vujacic-hd.jpg
Alexsander Vujacic

I heard Donnie on the radio yesterday saying that he was flying to Italy and Croatia this week... pehaps to look at these point guard candidates.

MavsFanFinley
06-04-2003, 10:08 AM
I found this bit from (nbadraft.net) but I didn't see the other guy listed there. I'd have to check some of the other sites.

This site has him going to Atlanta with the 37th pick.

Zoran Planinic
Birthdate: 9/12/82
NBA Position: PG/SG
Ht: 6-6
Wt: 195
Hometown: Croatia
Team: Cibona
Telebasket Profile
Euroleague Profile
2002 Euro U-20 Profile
Stats

NBA Comparison: Jiri Welsch

Strengths: Owns great size for a point guard ... Smart player who understands how to run an offense efficiently ... Has a quick release on his jumper ... Competent shooter from behind the 3-point line ... Defensively he shows quick hands and solid anticipation skills that enable him to play the passing lanes for steals ... Does a good job of pushing the ball up the court to initiate the fast break ... Possesses above average court vision ... Patient, calculated player who reads the defense before attacking ... Great ball handler who owns an excellent left to right crossover to get by defenders ... Effective passer who looks to dish the ball off when he breaks down the defense ... Really has become a great shooter off screens when working without the ball ... Above average first step enables him to drive with some regularity ... Selective shooter who will not force up anything he deems not a great shot ... Uses his body well to shield off his defender on the drive ... Makes solid decisions when the ball is in his hands ...

Weaknesses: Really needs to bulk up and add some upper body strength to his slight frame ... Athletically he isn't a possessor of great quickness or leaping ability ... Needs to become a better post passer when traffic is in the lane ... Offensively his mid-range shooting off the dribble is inconsistent at times ... Has a tendency to leave his feet too early and force passes that can result in turnovers ... Has some problems finishing after contact because of upper body strength ... The injuries that he suffered last year have disrupted his progression this year ... This could have some teams wondering if he will be injury prone ... Has some leadership skills but could stand to be more vocally assertive as a point guard ... Although a solid shooter Planinic isn't all that great when it comes to making free throws ... Because he drives to the basket so aggressively he tends to get out of control ...

-Matthew Maurer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He can play both guard positions with ease. He handles ball very well and his passes always seem to be right on time. He is very quick and versatile and has a great all-around game. He needs to gain some strength as he seems skinny for European standards not to mention NBA. His best skill is his movement without the ball. He just doesn't give his guard a rest and constantly runs on backdoors and uses set screens perfectly. His movement without the ball reminds of Reggie Miller, but his body is too skinny. His shot isn't on the level of Miller, but is solid and so is his range. I think with hard work and dedication he is a diamond in the rough and this is his first season he will be getting extended minutes on one of top European clubs and deservedly so. This kids potential seems unlimited, but he's got to show talent isn't everything he's got. Strong defender by European standards.

-Uros Velkavrh

Ummmmm Ok
06-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Alexander Vujacic
Birthdate: 3/8/84
NBA Position: Point Guard
Ht: 6-6
Wt: 185
European Team: Snaidero Udine
Hometown: Maribor, Slovenia
Euroleague Profile
TeleBasket Profile
2002 Euro U-20 Profile

Big European guard in the mold of Marko Jaric, Jiri Welsch, and Zoran Planinic. Less quick and explosive than Welsch and Jaric, but potentially a better fit for the PG spot. Can really shoot and pass. He just moved to the PG position, so he is still adapting to running a team. He has adequate ballhandling and great size. A good shooter who will become a great shooter at the PG position. He's unselfish enough to be a good PG, but for now he doesn't have the PG understanding, controlling the tempo, the timing, the knack of a PG. He definitely is a much better shooter than Planinic. He has the talent to become a great one because he really has amazing court vision. Already runs the pick-and-roll quite well. Has great passing instincts and he's a solid team player. His defense is solid and his feet are quick. He's got great all around skills, rebounds well, good ball delivery. Very good defensive player, quick legs.

Weaknesses: He still needs to learn everything about the PG position. A great person but maybe too shy. Not a real specimen type. He's not so quick, or explosive, or physical. He must work a lot on his body. His shooting is an area to improve, it's decent, but right now it's inconsistant. Jiri Welsch is 10 times more explosive than him.

Notes: Nickname is Sasha
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playmaker close to the two meters, Sasha is one of those players who leaves your mouth open with his fantastic plays. Handles the ball very adeptly. He's ambidexterous with the dribble and pass, and excells driving to the basket with both hands. Has instincts for the basket, drive and dish, He is a master in making clutch shots and has range. Above all he is a player who plays fearlessly. He still must learn the art of playmaking but he has innate leadership skills. He loves to get teammates involved. He has a great attitude and does not have a tendency to hold onto the ball too much. He must improve his outside accuracy, which will require hours of practice, but the makings are there. Not an explosive player. On defense he knows how to defend one-on-one and put pressure on the ball but suffers from lack of physical strength especially on the blocks. He's a special player. Strengths: Ball handling, creativity, penetration. Drawbacks: Physical strength, shooting from outside, experience. Overall: A top prospect in Italy and one of the more interesting of Europe.

-Cristian Biagini

Just211
06-04-2003, 09:49 PM
NBADRAFT NET has dallas taking Vuljacic at 29. Not bad if he is as good as the description. A 6 6 PG would be sweet

But more importantly, you notice that they already have us conveying our 2nd pick to Chicago. is that official?

OutletPass
06-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Mad, I've been getting information from everywhere:

Some are off ESPN Insider, some off of www.nbadraft.net, some of of CBS Sportsline and some of the european sites....www.telebasket.com

but nbadraft.net is a good one, as MFF and 211 have posted.