PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft.net has a new projected Mavs pick

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Take it for what you will...but this is the guy they're now projecting to us.

Marcus Moore
Birthdate: 12/25/80
NBA Position: Point Guard
College: Washington State
Class: Junior
Ht: 6-6
Wt: 208
Hometown: Inglewood, CA
High School: Dominguez Hills
Team Site Profile

Stats

NBA Comparison: Jeryl Sasser

Strengths: An intriguing talent. A true point guard at 6-6. Passes the ball with great creativity, timing, and accuracy. One of the best passers overall in the college game and at 6-6 this is very impressive. Decision making is very quick and reflexes are excellent. Uses his height well to pass over smaller defenders. Handles the ball extremely well. Can knock down three pointers, and has a great cross-over-move. Looks like he has a great deal of his game to expand upon.

Weaknesses: Shot selection must improve. Needs to play more under control and more fundamentally sound. Not a phenomenal athlete, can rise up for dunks, but he's not incredibly explosive. Can get caught up trying to do too much (ball handling wise) playing on a less-talented-team.

Marcus Moore will likely be done for season after surgery on right ankle

signoftimes
06-02-2003, 01:49 PM
I guess they are assuming we're trading away fin for a big guy. Moore must be the finley replacement?

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 01:58 PM
I don't think so SIGN...and I don't like this one at all. A comparison to Dallas' own J. Sasser doesn't excite me at all. This guy's a true point....and I promise...I'll have a heart attack if we pick this guy.

As for a more realistic Mock....see the CBS Sportsline Mock that I've posted....it seems to be the most realistic andsensible one that I've seen....and I am following them all.

Off-season can be fun, too !!!!

signoftimes
06-02-2003, 02:02 PM
I do like the other mock drafts also. This one is coming out of no where. What would be the logic behind this draft pick? Not that I am giving any credence to this projection, I would just like to know their thinking?

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 02:20 PM
That's the BILLION $ question SIGN !

Wish I knew....but I just post what I read...understanding their logic is beyond me. Every other Mock has us going BIGGER.

Ummmmm Ok
06-02-2003, 02:23 PM
I think we should all do a mock draft in a MOCK THREAD and lets see who has the most picks in the 1st round. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

signoftimes
06-02-2003, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't mind doing a mock draft and seeing who gets the most picks. But it would seem like dumb luck. We don't go to camps. We aren't seeing how these kids are getting evaluated. Half these kids are being projected based on reputation.

OP- Why would they project us with a PG? That's why I think their logic falls somewhere with us trading fin for a big man. If that happened, then drafting Moore might make more sense

Chicago JK
06-02-2003, 02:35 PM
thanks again for the links. I have never seen Marcus Moore play, but I would be disspointed greatly if we took him over Chris Thomas from Notre Dame. I like Heinrich, Gaines, and Chris Thomas. The Brazilian point guard is intriguing....6'4 quick with a 6'10 wing span. Doesn't speak English well yet, but with nice workouts I think he may skyrocket to the lottery.

Chris Thomas would be an excellent pick at the end of round 1.

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 02:43 PM
SIGN....I think that the only way that moore makes sense is if we trade NVE....and use Moore as the backup...that's all I can figure. I am NOT, however, interested in another J. Sasser type. So I'm not interested in this guy

I saw Jeryll play here in Dallas in high school and then at SMU. He's a decent player, but not GREAT.

I'd love to see a mock draft contest here....maybe the Mods can set something like that up !!

BTW...I went to notre Dame...and the word on Thomas is that he goes back to school if he's not in the top 20 picks.....right now he's projected at 35 or so...and won't be attending the Chicago workouts....my bet is that he goes back to school (and that's my hope, too.)

signoftimes
06-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Sasser was fun to watch in college, but his type of player is not what this team needs. We definitely do need to go bigger.

How do we set up a mock draft contest for this board?

Chicago JK
06-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by: OutletPass
SIGN....I think that the only way that moore makes sense is if we trade NVE....and use Moore as the backup...that's all I can figure. I am NOT, however, interested in another J. Sasser type. So I'm not interested in this guy

I saw Jeryll play here in Dallas in high school and then at SMU. He's a decent player, but not GREAT.

I'd love to see a mock draft contest here....maybe the Mods can set something like that up !!

BTW...I went to notre Dame...and the word on Thomas is that he goes back to school if he's not in the top 20 picks.....right now he's projected at 35 or so...and won't be attending the Chicago workouts....my bet is that he goes back to school (and that's my hope, too.)

He should go back to school. ND is developing a very nice program and the kid is a talent. Andy Katz has an article on him on ESPN up. It looks like he has backed off his top 20 prediction. I hope he goes back to school too because he is fun to watch.

Ummmmm Ok
06-02-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by: OutletPass

So mods/DJ.......... you goign to set this up or not? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

madape
06-02-2003, 04:31 PM
edit - wrong thread

ocelot_ark
06-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Our needs in this draft have to be addressed. One of them is point guard. If Don Nelson and company take a look at this 6'6"!!! point guard and like what they see, I'll be happy with the pick. Seriously, if you're 6'6" and a true point guard, you've got to be given some consideration.

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 04:54 PM
I've contacted the "High Powers" to see about setting up the contest.

madape
06-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Agreed. Every team needs three point guards. It doesn't look like we're dealing Nick or any of our guards, but AJ won't be with us long. We are either going to need to replace him this year or next. If a stud PG falls into our lap at #29, we should take him. He'd probably be a contributor sooner than your run of the mill big man would.

mavsfanforever
06-02-2003, 10:26 PM
We can pick him and play him 5-10 min each game. If he is good enough we do not have to resign NVE.

signoftimes
06-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Why has Moore's draft status gone down to 29?(because of ankle surgey) All of the other mock drafts OP has posted here have between 14 and 21.

OutletPass
06-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Don't know the answer Brother SIGN....could be the ankle surgery...but it could also be the uncertainty of this draft past the 10th pick or so. I've seen guys rated all over the place.

more info to come as players work out at Chicago and for individual teams.

I'm sure there's going to be smokescreens all around....but something will start to take shape.

OutletPass
06-04-2003, 10:35 PM
NBAdraft.net has now changed to Sasha Jujavic, another 6-6 PG.

Moore, the previous guess, has been moved up a few slots.

Novice#41
06-05-2003, 07:26 AM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wast/sports/m-baskbl/auto_ap/a-moore-012602.jpg

Marcus Moore

OutletPass
06-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Looks like Moore will move back down...he was pretty bad in the 2nd day at Chicago. (1 assist and 4 turnovers) The reports say he hurt himself more than any player except (the now 6'8") Lang.

SIGN...from what I'm reading, there are a lot of questions about him being a "true" PG....and there are sure a lot of good PG's in this draft. That's what I'm seeing.

signoftimes
06-05-2003, 01:21 PM
There are more than enough PG in this draft. I'm reading that every where. TJ ford,Kirk Hinrich, Reece Gaines, Barbosa,Ridnour, Moore.

This could be scary for Moore

Marcus Moore will likely be done for season after surgery on right ankle
He was planning for surgery before this latest injury. Moore could be one of those kids who's stock drops, he sits out most of rookie year nursing himself back to health and then breaks out in his 2nd year. When that happens, everyone will ask why they didn't draft him when they had the chance.

I would like the Mav's to do something big in this draft and come away with a steal, I just don't know if Moore is that player

Ummmmm Ok
06-05-2003, 02:05 PM
This draft will be undoubtedly like every other year with the Mavs. They will draft a European and we will have to wait 1-2 years until he comes to the states. But I like all the europeans being so high in this years draft, Its goign to make some of the Americans undrafted and we might be able to find a gem in a free agent undraftee.