PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sportsline Mock Draft (Mavs Projected Pick)

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Here's one I really like.....Diaw has been projected higher....Khryapa has also been projected to the Mavs in other places....Delfino looks like he may slide a few places to us (A Ginobilli type with real skills on D)....Outlaw is projected a few spots ahead of us....and Ebi a few spots behind. All in all, it's the first realistic mock that I've seen....Any of these players could come to us...although Khyrapa seems to be moving up. But take a look at the 6/2 ESPN Insider I've posted to see the guys who are NOT going to be in the Chicago pre-draft workouts....and whose stock may fall because of it.

29. Dallas Mavericks: Boris Diaw-Riffiod, F/G, Pau-Orthez (France). Athletically, he's gifted enough to play right away and could develop into a defensive stopper. The Mavs love to cause matchup problems, and players like Diaw, Viktor Khryapa, Carlos Delfino and preps Ndubi Ebi and Travis Outlaw have the potential to be that type of player.

Dooby
06-02-2003, 02:05 PM
OP, I expect better writing from you than "really realistic ". i/expressions/brokenheart.gif i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Sorry Doobs...I was up til 5am...and just woke up. My bad ! I'll edit.

Chicago JK
06-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Diaw looks interesting, but I don't see him slipping if he is a legit 6'9 and has nice athleticism. Seems like a kid most scouts fall in love with.

I like Ndubi EBi's build, but have never seen him play. Looked very athletic in a dunk contest I saw of his though. If you draft Ndubi Ebi in the first round I think you have to draft Ebi Ere in the second round. Ndubi Ebi meet Ebi Ere!!!

OutletPass
06-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Diaw won't be at the Chicago workouts....

Here's some capsule descriptions on a few of the guys mentioned at SF :

They're ranked as the 3,4, and 5 best SF's with David West of Xavier just behind.

3. Boris Diaw, Pau Ortiz (France)*
The line: 6-9, 215, 21 years old
The skinny: A big-time prospect (he was just name MVP of the French League) who's been overshadowed by the emergence of teammate Mickael Pietrus. I finally caught up with him in practice a few weeks ago. He's very smooth and one of the best passers I've seen in the draft. He has a real point guard mentality and is very unselfish. He has a nice body and is a good athlete. Diaw is more skilled than Pietrus, but Pietrus is the better athlete and scorer. The only question with Diaw is aggressiveness. He can be too passive at times. Some scouts believe that will change when Diaw gets out of the system he's playing in and gets more familiar with the NBA. The comparisons to Scottie Pippen aren't too far off, but I doubt he'll ever average more than 12 to 15 ppg in the league. He's probably a mid-first-rounder. Phoenix (at No. 17) and Utah (at No. 19) both have interest.

4. Ndudi Ebi, Westbury Christian HS (Texas) *
The line: 6-9, 200, HS Senior
The skinny: He's a bit of a tweener right now. He played power forward and center in college, but he's an NBA small forward. He's a great athlete with long arms. He's a very good shot blocker. He has a pretty good perimeter shot, though scouts question his handle a little bit. He will need to get much stronger before he has a chance of playing in the NBA. Scouts feel he could be a late-first round, early-second-round pick.

5. Victor Khryapa, Russia*
The line: 6-9, 225, 21 years old
The skinny: Helped himself tremendously at the Euroleague Final 4. His defense on Dejan Bodiroga (the Euroleague Final 4 MVP) was impressive. He's very long and an excellent rebounder and shot blocker. Khryapa gets a lot of comparisons to Andrei Kirilenko. Both players are long and mutli-dimensional. Khryapa's a good shooter with NBA 3 range. However, he's not quite the athlete that Kirilenko is nor is he quite as polished as his European counterparts. He also has to get stronger to compete at the next level and won't be able to come to the NBA this year because of contract issues. That's a minus for some teams and a big plus for others. With all that said, most teams still consider him a great prospect. He'll likely be a late-first-rounder.

ariosto
06-02-2003, 02:59 PM
All these guys sound like they could be very effective on the Mavs. I think my first choice would be Diaw, but it sounds like he might be the first choice of several other teams as well... I really liked watching David West in college as well. I think he might be able to play a 'Malik Rose'-type role on the team.