PDA

View Full Version : Van Dumpy or Dunleavy? Rockets on the clock.

Drbio
06-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Van Gundy, Dunleavy are two finalists for Rockets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Jeff Van Gundy, former coach of the New York Knicks, has emerged as the favorite to become the next coach of the Houston Rockets, general manager Carroll Dawkins said Tuesday.

Dawson, in Chicago for the NBA predraft camp, told the Houston Chronicle for a story in Wednesday's editions that he has not interviewed Van Gundy and no negotiations are under way, but said he invited him to visit Houston on Thursday.

"He wanted to see the city and the new arena,'' Dawson said. "I don't think that's unusual when someone is thinking about a new job. I invited him to Houston, so obviously I'm glad he's coming, but he really did just want to see everything -- the homes, the buildings, the schools. That's what it is.''

Asked if he hopes to close a deal with Van Gundy during his visit, Dawson said: "I'd like to get a new coach. Let's see how everything goes.''

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander is not in Houston, and no meetings between him and Van Gundy have been scheduled yet, Dawson said.

Van Gundy and Mike Dunleavy had emerged as the two finalists. The Rockets also had met with Paul Silas and Larry Brown. On Monday, Silas was introduced as the Cleveland Cavaliers' coach and Brown became the Detroit Pistons' coach.

Houston television station KRIV reported that Dunleavy's agent plans to meet with Dawon on Wednesday in Chicago to determine if there will be a second interview for Dunleavy.

The Rockets have been searching for a coach since Rudy Tomjanovich stepped down on May 23.

MavKikiNYC
06-04-2003, 07:58 AM
I have a much less favorable impression of JVG after having listened to him on telecasts this year. He sounds like such a doofus-goof@$$, I don't see how players could be expected to take him seriously.

Before Cheeks got permission to talk to the Sixers, I would've had JVG going there. I do NOT think he'll work well in Houston.

jayC
06-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Jeff Van Gundy over Rudy T doesn't sound like much of an upgrade. Rudy got screwed on this one.

Dooby
06-04-2003, 10:49 AM
I'll take Dunleavy, but I am biased because he's my father's neighbor.