PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Charlie Villanueva

Dirks Cuzin
06-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Those who watched the Mickey Ds all star game know what Im talking about, he was next best to LeBron, why is he not being considered to be picked from HS? The kid can ball. Someone refresh me on where he is, didnt he change his school commitment?

OutletPass
06-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Ranked at #53 in the upcoming draft, Cuz.

Charlie Villanueva
Birthdate: 8/24/84
NBA Position: Small Forward
College: Illinois
Class: HS Senior
Ht: 6-9
Wt: 215
Hometown: Blair, NJ
High School: Blair Academy
2002 Stats

NBA Comparison: Lamar Odom

Stregnths: A strong all around talent. Charlie excels at passing the ball, scoring from the perimeter and handling the ball on the break. His inside/outside game makes him a virtual lock for a double-double every night. His athleticism makes him an excellent rebounder and perimeter defender. Scores his points from all over; his height allows to shoot over almost everyone on the outside and also allows him take the ball down low. He's just starting to live up to his unbelievable potential.

Weaknesses: A bit laid back at times, which leads to scoring in bunches and then going cold. Must understand that he will not always be the biggest and most athletic player on the floor. Strictly an inside talent, and could use some post development. Still soft at times, which leads to him being a weak interior defender. Not a great shot blocker, despite his athleticism and height. Needs to develop a killer instinct.

Notes: If Charlie ever plays with the intensity that his teammate, Luol Deng plays with, he would be unstoppable. Great size and skill, a player who does a bit of everything.

JonG
06-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Weaknesses: A bit laid back at times [...] Still soft at times

Sounds Duncan-ish

jshel10
06-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Guys, I saw CV play in a tourney in Philly in February - IMO his potential and talent are definitely way up there, but his attitude is unbelievably bad. Walks up the court, plays no defense, looks for his pals in the crowd, etc. Really immature. His AAU coach Gary Charles is a less than reputable character and he is an NCAA violation waiting to happen. Heard that an ESPN Insider story posted today detailed his workout for NBA scouts - scouts and GM's were virtually unanimous in using the term "horrible" to describe it. Several were reportedly angry with his attitude. This guy has NBDL written all over him, which probably means we'll never hear from him again. Which is a shame, because his talent is pretty damn good...

Re-Dirkilous
06-07-2003, 12:03 AM
well if he is athletic it should get him somewhere and someone will fix his attitude.. he just has no one to correct him when he is wrong>> When I played football at Tennessee, my freshman year I had a attitude problem>> I was mad cuz I didn't get to start well when Coach sat me on the bench I began to understand u don't get anywhere with an attitude. Someone needs to sit him on the bench thats all

jamalccc
06-07-2003, 03:20 AM
NBA Insider Article on the Chicago Camp(I just copied and pasted the Villanueva section):

Villanueva's workout, on the other hand, was a disaster. The minute Ebi ended his workout and Villanueva stepped on the floor, roughly half the NBA people in the gym got up and walked out.

Charlie Villanueva was less than impressive on Thursday.
If that isn't a message to Villanueva to go back to school, I don't know what is.

Ironically, Villanueva actually looked much more polished than Ebi. He shot the ball well, showed nice athleticism on several drills, and, at 6-foot-11, he has some skills that are intriguing.

But two related things poisoned the well. Villanueva worked at less than half speed. I'm not sure he even broke a sweat. His play, on a few occasions, bordered on lackadaisical. Midway through the workout, there were less than 50 people left in the gym.

What's the problem?

"Bad attitude," one NBA GM said.

"Terrible attitude," another NBA coach said.

An international scout was furious that he even wasted his time. "Why come to a job interview and goof around?" he said. "I don't understand it. Neither of these kids put on a real workout today. If you want to see someone really work for their bread, come with me ..."

With that, and with Villanueva's workout still not officially over, we were out the door and on the way to see Senegal's Malick Badiane.

OutletPass
06-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Please see the "Around the NBA" Section....there are multiple mock drafts and ESPN Insider Reports on everything that's happening draft-wise. Villanueva, by the way, is the topic of one thread and Jamalccc had just provided a poertion from the article...it's VERY easy to find out this info in the "around the NBA " section of the board. A little research goes a long way.

Especially since Villanueva has nothing to do with the Mavs and everything to do with the draft. However, it's becoming VERY likely he'll end up back in college because of his crappy attitude andworkouts.

Re-Dirkilous
06-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Insider is a really cool service>>and the stuff isn't fake its actually real>> all the sports players I know , know that The Sporting News gives off fake news>> gave off a peice about me using steriods?!?!??!??!ok>>I havn't been within 25 feet of steriods lol>>stick with the insider

OutletPass
06-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Totally agree re-dirk....that's why I post the Insider articles in "around the NBA".

As for the Sporting News, it used to do baseball pretty well years ago...but that's the only thing I can say for it...their NBA mock draft is a real joke.

Re-Dirkilous
06-07-2003, 11:30 AM
tell me about it >> that mock posted by chicago jk had only only the top 3 correct>>which was Lebron,Anthony and Milic>> who couldn't have guessed where they were goin