PDA

View Full Version : Wolves have contacted Cleveland about Davis.

Ummmmm Ok
06-05-2003, 12:24 PM
http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/3919774.html

SAN ANTONIO -- With seemingly every other team in the NBA either seeking a new head coach or letting staff members interview for one of the many vacant positions, it is worth noting that the Timberwolves are not involved on either count.

Owner Glen Taylor said Wednesday that no team has sought permission to talk with coach Flip Saunders. He indicated, too, that if asked, he likely would not grant it.

"Probably not," Taylor said by phone from Mankato. "I hesitate to say yes or no, but I can't even believe that's something Flip would want."

Saunders, with the rest of the Wolves' basketball staff, was in Chicago on Wednesday for the NBA's annual pre-draft camp and was unavailable for comment.

In 2001, Taylor gave the Portland Trail Blazers and the Cleveland Cavaliers permission to interview Saunders, then sweetened the coach's deal with a lucrative extension. He has three years left, worth up to $5 million per season.

Why might Taylor handle the situation differently now? "At that time, Flip was ending a contract and he was trying to see what his worth was," the Wolves owner said. "One [team] was going home for him [Cleveland]. The Portland one, I thought, 'What the heck?' I knew they would offer him more money and I wound up paying more money, but I just said, 'What the heck?' "

Now, Taylor said, Saunders is appropriately compensated. "We're paying him one of those elite contracts," he said. "And I don't think Flip would want our players to think he's interested in going some other place. With all these coaching changes, that's one thing we can offer now -- players know who's going to be [coaching] here."

Wittman bows out

Wolves assistant Randy Wittman opted out of consideration for the vacant Toronto Raptors job, but former Wolves forward Sam Mitchell was expected to interview with Raptors GM Glen Grunwald in Chicago this week.

Davis targeted

With Cleveland a lock to draft, and play, high school phenom LeBron James, the Cavaliers are getting top-heavy at shooting guard. That means slasher Ricky Davis could be on the block this summer. The Wolves signed Davis to a $34 million offer sheet last summer only to have Cleveland match it. The Wolves apparently contacted the Cavs recently about his availability via trade.

Taylor declined to confirm or deny the contact.

Beware the backups

After Tim Duncan, it is San Antonio's depth that concerns Nets coach Byron Scott.

"Off the bench, [Manu] Ginobili, those guys, they have a way of changing the whole game just with their energy and hustle," Scott said.

Pecking order set

Despite Spurs veteran Steve Kerr's heroics in Game 6 of the conference finals against Dallas, Speedy Claxton remains coach Gregg Popovich's choice as backup to guard Tony Parker.

"I'll explain it like Steve did," Popovich said. "He said, 'We won 60 games with those guys, and they are better.' "

ABA icons reunite

Julius (Dr. J) Erving and George (The Iceman) Gervin took part in the ceremonial tip before Game 1, in the first-ever Finals between two former American Basketball Association franchises. Naturally, a red, white and blue ball was used.

Erving starred for the Nets in the upstart league before being traded to Philadelphia in 1976, while Gervin moved with the Spurs into the NBA with the merger of four ABA teams before the 1976-77 season.

Only one former ABA team, the Spurs [1999], has won an NBA title.

I didn't think that once he signed an offer sheet that got matched, that he was unavailable to be traded to that team during the length of his contract with cleveland? Am I wrong in assuming this? If I am right, than is the reporter making rumors?

Nash13
06-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Whether the Wolves would have contacted him or not, Davis probably won't stay with cleveland the whole next season. Too many point fowards on that team.

mavsfanforever
06-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Davis is a disgrace to the sport. Personally I would rather have james Posey than this guy.

Nash13
06-05-2003, 06:58 PM
MFF, I wouldn't say all that. I will never forget that game where he tried to rough up Finley, Bradley, and Dirk.

mavsfanforever
06-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Roughing up is okay and I think its a part of the game. It just shows he was playing with intensity. But what davis did was just not cool and it was selfish act.

one long blue sock
06-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Well whatever he does, he does it good. He was one of the best talents in the East, and should have made the all-star team.

And besides shooting percentage Posey is a pretty good player.

thebac
06-05-2003, 09:08 PM
When I think of Ricky Davis, I think of his near triple-double. That incident heavily influenced how I feel about him, so in mavsfanforever's words "Davis is a disgrace to the sport", albeit for a different reason for me.

mavsfanforever
06-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by: thebac
When I think of Ricky Davis, I think of his near triple-double. That incident heavily influenced how I feel about him, so in mavsfanforever's words "Davis is a disgrace to the sport", albeit for a different reason for me.

Thats exactly the reason I was talking about. After that incident I cannot just appreciate whatever he does.

thebac
06-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever

Originally posted by: thebac

Thats exactly the reason I was talking about. After that incident I cannot just appreciate whatever he does.

Oh, OK, I thought you were referring to the roughing up. Just a misunderstanding.