PDA

View Full Version : Kobe having surgery on shoulder!

jayC
06-05-2003, 05:57 PM
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Kobe Bryant has a tear in the tissue around his right shoulder socket that might require surgery.

The labrum tear was discovered during an MRI exam Wednesday at Kerlan Jobe Medical Center, the Los Angeles Lakers said Thursday.

Bryant said on ESPN's SportsCenter that he will move as quickly as he can to take care of the injury.

"I'm pretty sure that I will undergo surgery," he said. "If I don't have surgery, it could get worse. It seems surgery is inevitable."

The team said Bryant was hurt April 22 during a first-round playoff game against the Minnesota Timberwolves. That means he played the next 10 games with the injury.

"He will be seeking a second opinion before making a decision on whether or not to proceed with surgery to repair the tear," the Lakers said in a statement.

Bryant said he was injured when he went to the rim for a dunk and jammed his shoulder. Despite the injury, Bryant averaged 32.1 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.2 assists in 12 playoff games.

"It affected me a lot," he said. "The playoffs, you just have to play through it."

Bryant said he was uncertain as to whether he'll be able to play for Team USA in the Olympic qualifying tournament, to be held Aug. 20-31 in Puerto Rico.

"I believe so," he said when asked if those plans were on hold. "I was really looking forward to competing with the fellas.

"Right now, what they're talking is I'm going to miss a big bulk of the summer. I love training so much. This is a really fun time for me, preparation for next season. I just want to make sure I get back on my feet as quickly as possible."

The Lakers were eliminated Western Conference semifinals by San Antonio, ending Los Angeles' run of three straight NBA championships.

The 24-year-old Bryant finished the regular season as the NBA's second-leading scorer, averaging a career-best 30 points a game. He scored 40 or more points in nine straight games in February and also had career-high averages of 6.9 rebounds and 5.9 assists while playing in each of the Lakers' 82 games.

mavsfanforever
06-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Good , another excuse can be eliminated.

Nash13
06-05-2003, 06:29 PM
In respect to my good friend WayOutWest, i shall keep my mouth closed on this subject.

WayOutWest
06-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by: Nash13
In respect to my good friend WayOutWest, i shall keep my mouth closed on this subject.

Oh come on, what fun would that be?

The rumor around LA is that Kobe is actually having his tear ducts surgically removed to prevent those "Kleenix Moments".

In case you missed it:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/22822/Kleenex.jpg

06-06-2003, 12:49 AM
if Kobe misses the Qualifying tournament, is there chance for Fin to take his place?

MavsFanFinley
06-06-2003, 12:53 AM
if Kobe misses the Qualifying tournament, is there chance for Fin to take his place?

There is always a chance, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him overlooked again.

You never know.

Mandyahl
06-06-2003, 04:09 AM
Member- I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the story. I hope Fin would get his place...but I could definitely see it not happening. On that subject, I was not at all impressed by Richard Jefferson the other night. Maybe it was just an off night, but I haven't really been impressed any time I saw him this season. I think Fin is way better, but then again I probably don't know what I am talking about.

TripleDipping
06-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Any chance of Kobe grabbing Shaq along for a liposuction?

Drbio
06-06-2003, 10:48 AM
WOW- that was a good one. Thanks. i/expressions/beer.gif

LRB
06-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
Any chance of Kobe grabbing Shaq along for a liposuction?

With Shaq it would probably need to be a shitosuction.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

06-07-2003, 12:09 PM
from the DMN

Finley may fill in on national team

U.S. will need replacement for Bryant if he has surgery

06/07/2003

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO Mavericks guard Michael Finley will be on the short list of candidates to replace Kobe Bryant on the U.S. Olympic team this summer if the Los Angeles Lakers' star cannot participate because of pending shoulder surgery.

A USA Basketball spokesman said Friday that Finley would be a logical replacement, given his play on last year's World Championship team. But Craig Miller, assistant executive director for public relations, added that several issues have to be resolved before a replacement could be named.

First, the selection committee for the Olympic team is waiting on a second opinion on Bryant's shoulder, Miller said. Second, decisions must be made whether the replacement will be given an automatic spot on the 2004 Olympic team or be a stopgap for the team that must qualify in the Tournament of the Americas in August at San Juan, Puerto Rico. Bryant will be on the Olympic team even if he cannot play this summer in the qualifying tournament.

Finley has said numerous times that he would consider it an honor to be on the Olympic team. He was one of the few bright spots on the '02 team that finished a disappointing sixth in the World Championships at Indianapolis.

If Bryant cannot play this summer, Miller said the selection committee would move quickly to name a replacement, perhaps within the next two weeks.

Re-Dirkilous
06-07-2003, 12:22 PM
that would be tight if that happened

Re-Dirkilous
06-07-2003, 12:23 PM
130!! this is the best post ever