PDA

View Full Version : Hill out for 2003-2004 season??

MavsFanFinley
06-19-2003, 08:45 AM
I didn't see this posted yet, sorry if I missed it somewhere else.

GM says Hill does not plan to retire

ESPN.com news services

The Orlando Magic expect injury-plagued forward Grant Hill to miss the 2003-04 season because of his troublesome left ankle, the Orlando Sentinel reported in its Thursday editions.

Magic general manager John Gabriel told the paper it was "likely" the six-time NBA All-Star "will never play this coming season."

The Magic might apply for immediate salary-cap relief for Hill, who had extensive surgery performed on the ankle on March 18.

According to the Sentinel, a medical exception on Hill would be worth $4.8 million. If the NBA grants the team's request soon -- the Magic have until Oct. 1 to apply for a disabled players' exception -- that money could be available for the free-agent recruiting period beginning July 1.

The decision on whether the Magic will get the exception is strictly at the league's discretion. The NBA uses its own doctors to assess the medical evidence and determine whether a player may miss the entire season, the Sentinel reported.

Gabriel said Hill, who turns 31 on Oct. 5, does not plan on retiring. Gabriel was reluctant to elaborate because Hill has not made an announcement, the Sentinel reported.

Hill still wants to try to play late next season, while the team wants him to rest the entire campaign, a team source told the Sentinel. Neither Hill nor his agent Lon Babby was available for comment.

Hill's official Web site www.granthill.com maintains a news release dated March 18, the day of his surgery. The report quotes Dr. James Nunley saying he saw no reason Hill could not play basketball again. But the doctor did not indicate a time-frame for the forward's return.

The Sentinel reported that as of June 17, Hill was still using crutches. The paper quoted his personal trainer, Vinnie Hudson, as saying Hill was in the midst of light rehab on the ankle. "We're in the beginning parts, starting with range of motion. No walking or running," Hudson said.

Hudson had "no idea" whether Hill could play this season. The surgery in March was Hill's fourth on his left ankle.

The former Duke star was acquired in an Aug. 3, 2000 sign-and-trade deal with the Detroit Pistons in exchange for forward Ben Wallace and center Chucky Atkins. Hill has played just 47 games since signing a seven-year, $92.88 million contract that summer.

signoftimes
06-19-2003, 08:58 AM
It's really sad to see a once promising career never develop. It's ironic that Jason Kidd who tied for rookie of the year with hill, made it into the NBA finals 2 years in a row and Hill has only played 47 games in 3 years.

Drbio
06-19-2003, 09:02 AM
He should just go ahead and retire.

Mandyahl
06-19-2003, 12:11 PM
you have to feel sorry for the guy. that really sucks.

TripleDipping
06-19-2003, 01:19 PM
He should either retire or take a long, extended break to rehab his ankle. All this rushing back just to play a few games per season is really pointless.

Chicago JK
06-19-2003, 02:10 PM
This is really sad. Grant is one of the true good guys in the league. I guess I shouldn't be too sad because he has 100 million coming to himi/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif Either way a healthy Grant and Tmac would have been very fun to watch.

Mandyahl
06-19-2003, 02:39 PM
the magic made the playoffs and almost beat detroit with an injured grant hill taking up a lot of money. imagine what they could have done with a healthy grant hill.

MavsFanFinley
06-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Am I not mistaken or were people wanting to trade Finley for Hill a couple years ago? The first year Hill was injured??

It is sad for Hill who was an amazing player, but if you think you're stuck with a $100 million dollar contract now, think if you had Hill instead of Finley.

Mandyahl
06-19-2003, 03:11 PM
we would definitely not be where we are now if we had traded finley for hill.

Drbio
06-19-2003, 03:52 PM
Finley for Hill? whoa nellie.

Thank goodness that never happened.

MFFL
06-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
He should just go ahead and retire.

Why would he - guaranted contract

Drbio
06-19-2003, 08:46 PM
True about the contract, but I was just saying that in a sympathetic way. It's too bad that a potentially great career was sidelined by an unfortunate injury. He's not the first nor will he be the last, but it is unfortunate to see talent like that lost.

mavsfanforever
06-19-2003, 08:54 PM
Injuries have sidelined so many good players. I have heard Webber might miss some part of the regular season since maloof bros feel his rehab is not going as expected. It seems he is still having problems.

Mandyahl
06-20-2003, 12:34 AM
or if he goes to jail i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif