PDA

View Full Version : Whos in and Whos out of the NBA Draft!!!

Ummmmm Ok
06-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Here is a list of college underclassmen, high school seniors, and international players under 22 years of age, who've decided to stay in the draft or withdraw their name:

Staying In Draft
Malick Badiane PF | 19 | Senegal
Leandrinho Barbosa PG | 19 | Brazil
Carlos Delfino SG | 20 | Argentina
Boris Diaw SG | 21 | France
Maciej Lampe C | 18 | Poland
Zaur Pachulia SG | 19 | Rep. of Georgia
Kendrick Perkins PF | Ozen H.S. (Beaumont, Tx)
Mickael Pietrus SG | 20 | France
Zoran Planinic PG | 19 | Croatia
Szymon Szewczyk PF | 21 | Poland
Sofoklis Schortsanitis C | 17 | Greece
Slavko Vranes C | 20 | Serbia
Maurice Williams PG | Junior | Alabama
Ndudi Ebi

Out Of Draft
Aleksandar Djuric PF | 19 | Serbia/Montenegro
Kresimir Loncar C | 20 | Croatia
Marcus Moore SG | Junior | Washington State
Jameer Nelson PG | Junior | Saint Joseph's
Misan Nikagbatse PG | 18 | Germany
Jason Parker PG | Junior | Tulsa
Pavel Podkolzine C | 18 | Russia
Blagota Sekulic PF | 21 | Serbia
Chris Thomas PG | Soph. | Notre Dame
Charlie Villanueva PF | Blair Academy (N.J.)

Bayliss
06-19-2003, 04:49 PM
Estatic that Badiane, Vranes, and Planinic are staying in the draft. Does anyone know if Sasha Vujacic is staying in the draft as well? His profile is found here: Sasha (http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/alexandervujacic.htm)

madape
06-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Bayliss, you took the words right out of my mouth. Those four are my DOGS at #29. The fact that all four of those are staying in the draft means that we're almost assured of getting a shot at one of them. Goody goody.

madape
06-19-2003, 04:55 PM
double post!

Ummmmm Ok
06-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Pavel just freaking gets me....He was about to be picked 4th-6th and he pulls out!!!!

asola
06-19-2003, 05:17 PM
I can't understand Pavel's decision either. Does anyone know if his agent is American? Maybe a european agent who has never worked the draft would feel he should have gotten a top-10 promise, I don't know. But my take is he will be a low first round pick next year.

Evilmav2
06-19-2003, 05:19 PM
Pavel just freaking gets me....He was about to be picked 4th-6th and he pulls out!!!!

It's all about Clipper fear. I don't think Pavel or his agent would relish stepping into the Kandi Man's shoes...

Mandyahl
06-19-2003, 05:22 PM
all i can think is that pavel is hoping to prove himself this year and get a guaranteed high pick (1-3) next year, but that seems like a huge gamble, especially considering how high he was going to go this year. no one else leaving comes as that much of a surprise, and i am glad a lot of these guys decided to stay in the draft.

Chicago JK
06-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Ebi is staying in the draft
Ndudi Ebi, a McDonald’s All-America forward from Houston who could have been the best freshmen in the country next season, elected to remain in the NBA Draft pool instead of playing for the University of Arizona.
“He told me that he doesn’t have a ‘commitment’, but that staying in the draft is what he wants to do,” Wildcats’ assistant coach Josh Pastner told FOXSports.com Thursday evening.

In draft terms, a ‘commitment’ means an NBA team has told a player it will positively draft him in the first round if he is still on the board when it selects.

The 6-foot-9 Ebi would have started for a Wildcats’ team that would have been a consensus preseason top six or seven with him.

Without him, Arizona will probably still rate as a co-favorite with Stanford to win the Pac-10.

The deadline for college underclassmen, high school players and foreign players to withdraw from the draft pool was 5 p.m. ET Thursday.

Drbio
06-19-2003, 08:44 PM
The Pavel thing is wierd. I hope someone works on that story. If it were a Clipper fear thing, then why not enter the draft and if the Clips take you just go back to Europe anyways?

Something is amiss.

Bayliss
06-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Doc... because if Pavel was drafted by the Clippers and he decided to go back to Europe, it means the Clips would have his rights if he ever wanted to join the league at a later date.

It would be very similar to the Rebraca deal (he was drafted in 94 and came over here in 2002(?)) and the Sabonis deal (he was drafted in the late 80's and did not come over until the mid 90's).

If a European player gets drafted by an NBA team that he doesn't like or doesn't want to play for then in essence that player is screwed.

Ummmmm Ok
06-19-2003, 09:37 PM
But Next years draft is going to be really weak with the age limit being raised. Its going to make him more valuable next year, but it looks like the Clippers are going to suck as they won't resign alot of their talent and they "might" get into the top (3). Looks like he's screwed either way, except he still stays a project in Europe but he will be higher in the draft next year.

I guess its a good call by him, but guys like Charlie Villanueva will definately test the top of the lottery as well.

But of course if he gets injured or loses even less playing time in Europe, he could very well move to the bottom of the 1st round in 2004.

David
06-20-2003, 06:06 AM
I don't see any way an age limit can be imposed. It would have to be bargained with the players union and I see no incentive for them to go for it. If you are 18 years old you can be drafted into the military. You should be able to earn a living in your chosen profession. An age limit would be very controversial. A legitimate minor league system, with NBA teams retaining player rights, would be a more viable option.

madape
06-20-2003, 07:21 AM
You don't see an incentive for them to go for it? Are you serious? You don't think that NBA veterans have a problem with roster spots being given to 18 year old kids while guys like Jim Jackson and George McCloud have to fight over the minimum? It's good for the NBA to have a strong college game. It's good for the veterans to keep teenagers out. When the league and the player's union agree on things, it usually is going to happen. Pavel's not going to be here for another three years.

MFFL
06-20-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by: David
I don't see any way an age limit can be imposed. It would have to be bargained with the players union and I see no incentive for them to go for it. If you are 18 years old you can be drafted into the military. You should be able to earn a living in your chosen profession. An age limit would be very controversial. A legitimate minor league system, with NBA teams retaining player rights, would be a more viable option.

The Senior Golf Tour has an age limit. Several leagues have a gender restriction. The age limit will come. It's one of the concessions that the players assocation is "owed" for allowing the playoffs to go to 7 games in the 1st round.

Dooby
06-20-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by: David

The same argument could have been made before the rookie wage scale, and the players approved it.

David
06-20-2003, 05:41 PM
The league and the player's association would be opening themselves up for a lawsuit and I think Stern knows that. If you'll notice, Stern hasn't brought the subject up, lately. It's age discrimination. It's much different than the seniors golf tournaments. The seniors can play in any tournament that they can qualify for. The senior tour helps them make money, whereas they wouldn't make much against the young bucks on the regular tour.