PDA

View Full Version : JAY WILLIAMS HURT

Just211
06-19-2003, 09:52 PM
reported on ESPNNEWS. he had a motorcycle accident, and reportly injured his leg and pelvis. no report how severe.

Just211
06-19-2003, 09:54 PM
could this be a DUKE PG curse?
and did Nash13 put some kind of curse on Jay?
Makes you wonder? (http://dallas-mavs.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=10061)

MavsFanFinley
06-19-2003, 10:12 PM
That's too bad. I don't like to hear of players being hurt, especially car/bike injuries.

Obviously, I don't know all the details, but it doesn't sound like he has any serious injuries.

cookies_n_mavs
06-19-2003, 10:24 PM
I'm glad it wasn't worse. Those kinds of accidents are scary.

one long blue sock
06-19-2003, 10:37 PM
I think it is gods way of saying I LIKE JAMAL, but i can still remember Malik's crash.

Nash13
06-19-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by: Just211
could this be a DUKE PG curse?
and did Nash13 put some kind of curse on Jay?
Makes you wonder? (http://dallas-mavs.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=10061)

it's not my fault Duke players SUCK individually. That's why i'm a Maryland fan.

nowitzki_prophecy
06-20-2003, 12:14 AM
like MFF,i dont like hearing ANYBODY got hurt,but i doubt the Bulls would seriously feel his absence if he'll be injured during the regular.
i doubted him from the get go,he's playing like a 2guard but he isnt that good.
maybe he has some potential,but right now he's just a big letdown.

Nash13
06-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
like MFF,i dont like hearing ANYBODY got hurt,but i doubt the Bulls would seriously feel his absence if he'll be injured during the regular.
i doubted him from the get go,he's playing like a 2guard but he isnt that good.
maybe he has some potential,but right now he's just a big letdown.

Another fine piece of work from Jerry Krause. I never thought he was that good anyway. He's not your go-to-guy b/c he's not that good of a shooter from the field or from the foul line.

Stressboy
06-20-2003, 07:52 AM
I hope the kid is ok, but to say that he is a big let down because he did not put up great numbers going to a team with 2 veterans in the rotation that runs the triangle is nuts. Do you remember clemens trying to run the traingle in Dallas? Veteran players (Not very good mind you) went from mediocore to pathetic. If Williams healthy was our second point, I bet he would be impressing a lot. It matters who is on your team and if your skills fit the system. Ask Tony Parker and Mike Bibby.

Stressboy

OutletPass
06-20-2003, 04:08 PM
I've just been reading the chicago papers and what's being reported is that JWill ran head on into a light pole....and was saying to the EMT's "I can't feel my legs"....he apparently underwent a 3-4 hour operation last night after the accident which occurred about 5pm. Which indicates "serious injuries". He was taken to the hospital under a "Code Red" which also indicates very serious injuries.

So far, they're only saying that he has a broken leg and pelvic injuries. I'll ask DrBio to chime in here, but the Doctor who sleeps next to me says the pelvic injury will keep him in a hospital bed for 2-3 months and may end his career. Pelvic fractures tend to "shatter" in many places as opposed to a leg fracture which could be one break.

Hope that everyone will join me in wishing Jwill and his family all of the best in his lengthy and difficult recovery.

Drbio
06-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Did he actually fracture the pelvis? How about the leg? Fractured pelvis injuries can be extremely tricky, but I'm not sure I would go as far as saying its' a career ender without hearing a little more about the injury. A lot depends on whether it's actually fractured and where the frature(s) lies. 3-4 hours in surgery is most certainly more than just resetting a fractured leg. Some other factor is playing in this. Wait for the reports to come out.

OutletPass
06-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Thanks Doc....

His leg is definitely fractured....don't know if it was compound or not.

Not sure about the pelvis though...they're only saying "severe pelvic injury"....

It'll come to light in the next few days.

Dooby
06-20-2003, 04:23 PM
I'll never understand why a person who relies on their body for work would needlessly risk their body by riding a motorcycle or doing any dangerous physical activity.

Drbio
06-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by: Dooby
I'll never understand why a person who relies on their body for work would needlessly risk their body by riding a motorcycle or doing any dangerous physical activity.

I read an article on this at least a year or so ago that stated that professional athletes are more prone to this kind of behaviour. The thrill of ride or the rush or whatever. I wish I could find that thing because it was a very interesting read. I think it was in the Journal of Clinical Psychology.

OutletPass
06-20-2003, 04:43 PM
From the Chicago Sun Times:

June 20, 2003

BY GREG COUCH AND ANA MENDIETA Staff Reporters Advertisement

Bulls guard Jay Williams crashed his new motorcycle Thursday on the North Side, breaking his leg and other bones and leaving his career status in doubt.

The Bulls confirmed the accident and said Williams didn't suffer head injuries and his life was not in jeopardy.

mavsfanforever
06-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Every radio show I heard today indicate that Jay Will's accident could be career threatening. I just hope he will be alright. Hate to see something like that happening to someone who is only in his 2nd year of pro career.

jayC
06-20-2003, 06:27 PM
Sad to hear. The bulls are officialy out of any big draft deals after this one.

mavsfanforever
06-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Source: Career in jeopardy for Bulls' Williams
CHICAGO -- Chicago Bulls guard Jay Williams was recuperating Friday following surgery to repair injuries sustained when he crashed his week-old motorcycle.

The Bulls wouldn't comment on the extent of Williams' injuries, and his family didn't return phone calls from The Associated Press on Friday. But a source close to Williams, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said while the injuries were not life-threatening, they do jeopardize the 21-year-old's playing career.

"The last thing on our minds right now is basketball and the foremost thought on our minds is that of Jay's health,'' Bulls general manager John Paxson said in a statement Friday.

"We respect the privacy of the family and as time goes on we will be waiting for the family and doctors to report to us on Jay's status.''

Williams was riding a new Yamaha sportbike that he had purchased last week when it slammed into a pole Thursday afternoon on the north side of Chicago. The impact broke one of his legs, and a witness said she saw Williams laying about 10 feet from where his bike came to rest.

Teammate Marcus Fizer said he had warned Williams of the potential dangers of riding a motorcycle.

"I told him before, that may not be something that you want to do in your career at this time. Any number of things can happen to you,'' Fizer said Friday. "I tell all these young guys who like to ride motorcycles that. A lot of them still do it, though.''

After the crash Williams was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he underwent surgery. A spokeswoman at the hospital on Friday referred all inquiries to the Bulls.

Paxson and coach Bill Cartwright visited Williams on Friday. Neither returned messages left by the AP.

"I'm not worried about the team or what this does for our future,'' Cartwright told the Chicago Tribune. "I'm just worried about the severity of his injury for his career. We just have to wait and see. Our thoughts are with him.''

Chicago Police spokesman Wayne Frisbie said officers have been unable to interview Williams because the hospital is denying them access to him.

Williams was the No. 2 pick last June out of Duke, where he was the AP college player of the year in 2002 and a two-time All-American. He averaged 9.5 points last season, and was a second-team All-Rookie selection.

Great things were expected of Williams, who was believed to be the most NBA-ready of all the draft picks. He backed that up early in the season, recording his first career triple-double with 26 points, 13 assists and 14 rebounds on Nov. 11, 2002 against the New Jersey Nets.

It was the first triple-double by a Chicago Bull since Michael Jordan in April 1997.

But Williams struggled much of the season, eventually losing his starting spot to Jamal Crawford. Williams finished strong, shooting better than 60 percent from the field in six of his last seven games when he was paired with Crawford in the backcourt, and he vowed to build on that momentum in his second season.

"I'm kind of in shock,'' Crawford told the Tribune. "Jay and I were really looking forward to playing together and making some noise next season. Like everybody else on the team, I just hope he's OK and recovers quickly.''

one long blue sock
06-20-2003, 09:11 PM
He's lucky he isn't dead, but that has got to suck...

sry JWILL

Mandyahl
06-20-2003, 10:28 PM
motorcycles scare the crap out of me.

Drbio
06-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Just to show you all what a broken pelvis looks like. This shows a fracture at the pubic symphysis but there are some other injuries present too. This is a particularly nasty break and caused life threatening internal bleeding. (Photo is from a vendor site that we use)
http://www.pelvigrip.com/xray1_large.jpg

Mandyahl
06-20-2003, 10:51 PM
that doesn't look good.

one long blue sock
06-20-2003, 11:03 PM
Besides the whole shinning light, i cant see anything, but then again i'm not very found of looking up x-rays.

MavsFanFinley
06-20-2003, 11:31 PM
That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear that the injuries are more serious than previous announced. Such a young career that could be cut short.

Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

one long blue sock
06-20-2003, 11:35 PM
I heard he had gotten a 4.0 his Senior year, does anyone know what he majored in.

I hope he will be ok though.

Mandyahl
06-20-2003, 11:38 PM
since he came into the nba after his junior year, i don't know how he would have gotten a 4.0 his senior year?

one long blue sock
06-20-2003, 11:46 PM
i meant junior, sorry.

Mandyahl
06-20-2003, 11:48 PM
it's ok...anyway, some website said he majored in sociology.

one long blue sock
06-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
Just to show you all what a broken pelvis looks like. This shows a fracture at the pubic symphysis but there are some other injuries present too. This is a particularly nasty break and caused life threatening internal bleeding. (Photo is from a vendor site that we use)
http://www.pelvigrip.com/xray1_large.jpg

wheres the injury suppose to be???

madape
06-21-2003, 09:50 AM
It's that big gap down at the bottom of the pelvis. That bone is supposed to be connected.

mavsfanforever
06-21-2003, 10:04 AM
It seems he might have to miss just one year.

CHICAGO -- Chicago Bulls guard Jay Williams is listed in intensive care after undergoing pelvic surgery Friday, according to a source in a report in Saturday's editions of the Chicago Tribune.

Williams reportedly needed surgery to correct nerve damage in his pelvic area and might need reconstructive surgery on his left knee. He could also have several other procedures after crashing his week-old motorcyle Thursday afternoon.

While several team sources told the newspaper that the multiple injuries might jeopardize Williams' career, the unnamed source said he might only miss next season.

The Bulls wouldn't comment on the extent of Williams' injuries, and his family didn't return phone calls from The Associated Press on Friday.

"The last thing on our minds right now is basketball and the foremost thought on our minds is that of Jay's health,'' Bulls general manager John Paxson said in a statement Friday.

"We respect the privacy of the family and as time goes on we will be waiting for the family and doctors to report to us on Jay's status.''

Williams was riding a new Yamaha sportbike that he had purchased last week when it slammed into a pole Thursday on the north side of Chicago. The impact broke one of his legs, and a witness said she saw Williams laying about 10 feet from where his bike came to rest.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, an eyewitness was coming home from work when she arrived at the accident scene. ''He was yelling and saying, 'I can't feel my legs,''' said Alysha Grenier, 26.

Teammate Marcus Fizer said he had warned Williams of the potential dangers of riding a motorcycle.

"I told him before, that may not be something that you want to do in your career at this time. Any number of things can happen to you,'' Fizer said Friday. "I tell all these young guys who like to ride motorcycles that. A lot of them still do it, though.''

After the crash Williams was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he underwent surgery. A spokeswoman at the hospital on Friday referred all inquiries to the Bulls.

Paxson and coach Bill Cartwright visited Williams on Friday. Neither returned messages left by the AP.

"I'm not worried about the team or what this does for our future,'' Cartwright told the Chicago Tribune. "I'm just worried about the severity of his injury for his career. We just have to wait and see. Our thoughts are with him.''

Chicago Police spokesman Wayne Frisbie said officers have been unable to interview Williams because the hospital is denying them access to him.

Williams was the No. 2 pick last June out of Duke, where he was the AP college player of the year in 2002 and a two-time All-American. He averaged 9.5 points last season, and was a second-team All-Rookie selection.

Great things were expected of Williams, who was believed to be the most NBA-ready of all the draft picks. He backed that up early in the season, recording his first career triple-double with 26 points, 13 assists and 14 rebounds on Nov. 11, 2002 against the New Jersey Nets.

It was the first triple-double by a Chicago Bull since Michael Jordan in April 1997.

But Williams struggled much of the season, eventually losing his starting spot to Jamal Crawford. Williams finished strong, shooting better than 60 percent from the field in six of his last seven games when he was paired with Crawford in the backcourt, and he vowed to build on that momentum in his second season.

"I'm kind of in shock,'' Crawford told the Tribune. "Jay and I were really looking forward to playing together and making some noise next season. Like everybody else on the team, I just hope he's OK and recovers quickly.''

OutletPass
06-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Today's (Sat.) Chicago Tribune says that he was NOT wearing a helmet. And cited mutiple speeding violations in other states. oh, my....an accident waiting to happen, I guess. Still very sad.

Mandyahl
06-21-2003, 08:50 PM
sigh...indeed it sounds like he was asking for an accident.

mavsfanforever
06-22-2003, 02:37 AM
I am seeing mixed response on Jay Williams status. Some places it said he might miss one season. Some places it says his career is over.

Can anyone tell me whats exaclty going on?

nowitzki_prophecy
06-22-2003, 01:42 PM
its just kinda sad,to hear about a young player ending his career before it even began.
its like Sam bowie or something,very sad story.

Mandyahl
06-22-2003, 01:58 PM
is his career over? because i read somewhere that he would just miss one season.

nowitzki_prophecy
06-22-2003, 02:12 PM
is his career over? because i read somewhere that he would just miss one season.

thats the best scenerio,and in my opinion,an unlikely one.
even so,who says he'll fully heal from that accident,even after the year-year and a half is over?
if he's done for a season,it would affect him on the season after aswell.
you dont just go back to normal after one season,and has your place in the line-up ready,and your game is the same.especialy if your so young,and the team might look for a new PG.
i dont know,its just hard to hear.

Mandyahl
06-22-2003, 03:15 PM
yeah, it is bad news, but at least there is some hope that he can come back and play.

mavsfanforever
06-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Williams' injuries include nerve damage, torn ACL
Posted: Sunday June 22, 2003 6:09 PM

CHICAGO (AP) -- Chicago Bulls guard Jay Williams injured his knee and pelvis in addition to breaking his leg in a motorcycle accident, a source close to the player said Sunday.

The source, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, would not elaborate.

The Chicago Tribune reported Sunday that Williams sustained extensive nerve damage to his left leg and has a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

The Tribune and the Chicago Sun-Times said Williams underwent surgery Thursday to repair pelvic injuries and he would require multiple operations on his left knee. Both newspapers cited anonymous sources.

Advocate Illinois Masonic Hospital in Chicago would not discuss Williams' condition Sunday.

Earlier, the AP reported, according to its source, that the injuries were severe enough to possibly jeopardize Williams' career.

Williams was riding a new motorcycle that slammed into a pole, breaking one of his legs.

Further information about Williams' condition wasn't expected until Monday, when general manager John Paxson had scheduled a news conference to discuss the NBA draft.

"All you think about is Jay and how he's doing," Paxson told the Tribune. "We have to move on in terms of making a decision this week, but it's going to be a different decision based on the roster right now."

Williams averaged 9.5 points in his rookie season. The Duke star was the No. 2 overall pick in last year's draft. He was college player of the year in 2002 and a two-time All-American.

Mandyahl
06-22-2003, 06:13 PM
the more i read about it, the worse the injury sounds. i hope he will be able to play again.

MavsFanFinley
06-22-2003, 10:25 PM
You have to feel for the guy. To have your career come to a possible end on recklessness is just sad.

I also wish we could have an official statement so we can get a better idea just what happened and a list of injuries. I hate having to go on everything by a source that speaks on anonymity.

mavsfanforever
06-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Actually huge baseball contracts specify not to ride motorcycles.

Basketball contracts only limit the players from sky diving and some few other sports.

I wish atleast now NBA contracts start putting motorcyles also in the contract. I just hate to see anyone go down like this.

OutletPass
06-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Well it's being reported NOW that:

1) He broke his leg
2) He broke his kneecap and will need multiple operations
3) He really messed up the nerves in his leg
4) He has ligament damage in his leg
4) He fractured his pelvis.

The news just gets worse.

Mandyahl
06-23-2003, 03:19 PM
wow, that sounds really bad.

mnmpeanut
06-24-2003, 09:00 AM
these types of injuries are pretty common with head-on sportbike crashes. the faring on the front of sportbikes is built to keep the rider on the bike in an accident, but at the risk of serious lower body injuries. if you have a head-on like williams', the bike stops and the lower body flies forward into the faring, breaking bones and such, but, presumably, keeping the upper body in tact. picture being on a moving sidewalk at the airport going about 40, then hitting a waist high brick wall.

imo, although there is greater risk of head injury, i would rather be thrown clear of a bike crash.

Mandyahl
06-24-2003, 09:40 AM
i don't know....head injury would mean a greater chance of death, right? that doesn't really sound like a better alternative to me.

mnmpeanut
06-24-2003, 10:26 AM
it's all about percentages, i guess. if you're on a regular cruiser, you have a slightly greater chance of suffering an upper body (head) injury, but if you're on a sport bike, every small front end bump could break a leg or worse. your chances of severe injury are greater on a cruiser, but your chances of overall injury are greater on a sportbike.

guess it just depends on how lucky you feel, or, as some people see it, how stupid you are.