PDA

View Full Version : Something better than Payton for the Lakers

Nash13
06-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Why don't they do an intellegent thing like try to go after Andre Miller. As a stated in a previous thread, the Lakers are getting really old. Shaq is getting old, so is horry, shaw, fox, etc., and they aren't taking Kobe opting out of his contract next year very seriously. Miller is a guy that can be a star at times, and a role player.

He's young and got a lot of years ahead of him. And if they go for Payton, they are just making that team even older. Don't get me wrong, Payton is good, but not long term.

David
06-20-2003, 05:51 PM
I believe the Lakers are at the cap and can't offer more than the exception. Miller expects to get more than that and I don't think the Clippers sign and trade with the Lakers. They would rather let Miller walk.

one long blue sock
06-20-2003, 05:59 PM
I dont think many teams would be willing to give Miller more than the MLE with his great year in LA, and all the great FA's out there

But i heard that Goldenstate is going after him, since they are expecting Arenas to go Snowboarding up in Denver next year.

David
06-20-2003, 06:27 PM
Utah has an opening at PG and Miller went to school there.

one long blue sock
06-20-2003, 10:39 PM
I think they can pick better then Miller, but you never know, maybe last year was just a slump.

But i dont see how anyone can go from being called underated when your leading the league in assists, to the crap he was this year.

Both teams got screwed in the trade.

David
06-20-2003, 10:52 PM
I think Miller is better in a more structured system. With the Clippers, it was every man for himself. The Clippers were trying to audition their skills for their next team. It's not conducive to winning or point guard play.

one long blue sock
06-20-2003, 10:56 PM
Yeah, but the kid didn't have much of a shot shooting 40%, and 20% from beyond the 3 point line.

He didn't show much rebounding skills, or effort to get better during the season. It seemed like he would pass, then not move around at all.

Mandyahl
06-20-2003, 11:02 PM
miller wouldn't need to shoot much on the lakers. his role would be more to distribute the ball and take the wide open jumper. but if he can't knock those down, i don't know how good he would be for them.

one long blue sock
06-20-2003, 11:11 PM
Yeah but the Lakers arn't every team, there are only around 5 teams like that.

And he would be obligated to creat some offense for himself, i think he would be very unhappy if he had 10 assists and 4 points.(Ben Wallaces personality and unselfishness is hard to find, he was just an example)

Either way though, Lakers arn't goin for Miller, they are headed more towards Payton.

Nash13
06-21-2003, 12:15 AM
I just don't see Payton making that team better. And to whomever it was that say Miller is worth more than the MLE, i guarantee that his salary will be 4.8 at the highest to whichever team ends up signing him.

one long blue sock
06-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Well i've read an article and heard OP and Evil say the Lakers are after him

David
06-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by: one long blue sock
Well i've read an article and heard OP and Evil say the Lakers are after him
It's one thing to be "after him" and another thing to have the wherewithal to get him. Miller didn't look that great for the Clippers but PG is an important position and someone will pay a guy of his calibre more than the exception, IMO.