PDA

View Full Version : Clips make qualifying offers

MavsFanFinley
06-25-2003, 10:44 PM
Clips make qualifying offers to Brand, Odom, Maggette, Miller

June 25, 2003

LOS ANGELES (Ticker) - The Los Angeles Clippers will hold onto the bulk of their young nucleus at least a little longer.

The Clippers made qualifying offers to forwards Elton Brand, Lamar Odom and Corey Maggette and guard Andre Miller on Wednesday, allowing the team to match any offer the players receive in free agency.

The Clippers had until June 30 to make the qualifying offers. Had they not, all four players would have become unrestricted free agents, with the Clippers unable to match.

"These players are an important part of our team," Clippers vice president Elgin Baylor said in a statement. "The step we took today is a necessary one in order to begin any discussion on July 1 and to preserve our right to match any outside offers."

Although the Clippers can match any offer, that does not mean they will. Owner Donald Sterling has been notorious for refusing to pay his free agents, allowing them to sign elsewhere and keeping his team in a continuous state of rebuilding.

The Clippers have made the playoffs just three times since moving to the West Coast from Buffalo in 1978.

All four players were taken among the first 13 picks of the 1999 draft. They were Los Angeles' top four scorers in the 2002-03 season.

Brand's qualifying offer is an estimated $5 million. He is the best of the bunch, with a Rookie of the Year award and an All-Star berth to his credit. The top overall pick by the Chicago Bulls in 1999, Brand averaged team highs of 18.5 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.55 blocks last season.

Maggette, originally drafted 13th overall by Seattle, had the best season of his career, averaging 16.8 points and 5.0 rebounds. His qualifying offer was an estimated $2 million.

Odom, drafted fourth overall by the Clippers, received a qualifying offer of nearly $3.9 million. He was suspended by the NBA early in his career for violation of the league's anti-drug policy. He began last season rehabilitating injuries from the previous campaign and averaged 14.6 points and 6.7 rebounds in 49 games.

Miller, taken eighth overall by Cleveland, averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 assists as he played in a team-high 80 games. However, his first season in LA was a disappointment after leading the NBA in assists the previous season and failing to provide the floor leadership needed by the Clippers. His qualifying offer was roughly $2.6 million.

Last summer, the Clippers made a qualifying offer of $6.1 million to center Michael Olowokandi, the top overall pick in the 1998 draft. Olowokandi was seeking an eight-figure multi-year deal on the open market but did not receive any offers and returned to the Clippers.

Mandyahl
06-25-2003, 10:46 PM
i thought it was funny on the espn draft preview, all of the analysts were giving their opinions on the picks, and tom tolbert said the clippers should select a young new owner. i found that amusing.

mavsfanforever
06-25-2003, 10:48 PM
5 mil for Brand is pretty less and all of a sudden magette has a chance to land in Dallas.

Nash13
06-25-2003, 10:58 PM
Let me see mavsfanforever, i wonder who it was that said that Maggette wouldn't except a MLE?

Mandyahl
06-25-2003, 11:00 PM
perhaps there are better people to fo after with our mle though. it depends on what trades we do, if any, though.

OutletPass
06-25-2003, 11:21 PM
Thanks MFF, you're a gem.

ClipFan
06-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Those are just qualifying offers, so whatever offer sheet those players sign the Clippers can match and keep those players. Or, they can take the Kandi route and just accept the qualifying offer from the Clippers and be an UFA next summer. Maggette wont accept a MLE, he will get more than that this offseason I am sure. Again, those are only the qualifying offers for those guys. They can sign an offer sheet for another deal, or they can accept the qualifying offer. All of them guys can sign deals for much bigger than that, and I expect them to do just that. Expect the Clippers to match on Brand/Odom, but I am not sure about the rest.

Mandyahl
06-26-2003, 12:11 AM
i don't think we have much of a chance on any of them. but we will see.

Evilmav2
06-26-2003, 08:39 AM
Utah will extend an offer to Andre Miller that the Clips will be unlikely to match. Odom and Brand are going to untoucable- Sterling will match any offers, so if either FA accepts an offer from another team, they will be punching their tickets for years of more Clippers hell, so stay tuned for another year. And Maggette is a crapshoot- someone might steal him with an unmatched qualifying offer, but I wouldn't want to bet on those odds (and I sure do hope that Cuban doesn't reprise the frustration of the Redd situation of last Summer by playing games to try to get CM)...

Mandyahl
06-26-2003, 10:27 AM
i think (hope) that cuban has learned his lesson.

The Crippler
06-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Maggette will be ours. That is my official prediction for the offseason.

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
06-26-2003, 01:42 PM
it cant hurt to make him an offer, but he would be dumb to sign it unl;ess he was sure the clipps would not match

Evilmav2
06-26-2003, 02:44 PM
it cant hurt to make him an offer

But it can hurt us to make that offer and then be forced to wait and see whether the Clips match or not. It would take our $4.9 million exception to sign Maggette, and possibly scare the Clips out of matching it, but we would have to hold off on making offers to other free agents in making that offer...

If the Clips match the offer after making us wait, we end up getting screwed the way we were with Michael Redd last Summer...

It might be worth the effort, but considering the number of good big men available in free agency right now, I think we would be being remiss in taking that particular gamble...

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
06-26-2003, 02:49 PM
i had not realized that we would not be able to talk to anyone else. you are correct that it would hurt us, like last summer

ClipFan
06-26-2003, 04:20 PM
I sure hope the Mavs get Maggette, he was everything that was wrong with the Clippers last year. But I do think he will get better offers from other teams.

mavsfanforever
06-26-2003, 11:58 PM
With the drafting of Josh Howard, Magette's chances become a little remote to come to the mavs.

ClipFan
06-27-2003, 01:13 AM
Darn!