PDA

View Full Version : ESPN coverage of the draft???

Chicago JK
06-27-2003, 08:57 PM
What did you guys think of the coverage? I love the draft...both basketball and football. I must admit that I was a little disappointed in the coverage. Granted in basketball you don't have much time between picks and not many players make NBA rosters after the first round, but I thought ESPN came up lacking especially in the second round. Most of us haven't seen a lot of these prospects and I was really looking forward to seeing highlights of players such as Malick, Vranes, etc. I was even disappointed in the first round highlights. Is it too much to ask to show more than 3 plays? Also, it gets old hearing the same things when they are discussing players. How many players have tremendous upside or potential? If it is so difficult to come up with analysis on the spot, maybe they should do the analysis beforehand on tape. Maybe they could have a college coach in the players conference talk about the player. I love Dickie V. buti t beats me down when he says every college senior was a great pick.

jayC
06-27-2003, 09:03 PM
They are second round picks and most people don't care. Besides most of their material is regurjitated stuff. Kobe anounced he was going to be a free agent three months before in a los angeles. I agree I hate hearing the he has potential crap, why can't they have balls and say thats a horrible pick. Their NFL draft coverage is much better, and keep in mind JK that the nba draft teams have only five minutes to make picks instead of fifteen minutes in the nfl draft.

mavsfanforever
06-27-2003, 09:06 PM
TV audience 28 percent larger than last year's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- With LeBron James taking center stage, TV ratings for the NBA draft were the highest since 1997.

ESPN's broadcast Thursday night drew a 2.64 rating, a 27.5 percent increase from last year's 2.07 rating on TNT. This was the first year ESPN broadcast the NBA draft.

About 2.3 million households tuned into the telecast, making it the most-watched NBA draft since 1996. That was an increase of 28.1 percent from last year's household count of about 1.8 million.

James, the high school phenom from Akron, Ohio, went to the Cleveland Cavaliers with the first overall pick.

link (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0627/1573783.html)

ocelot_ark
06-27-2003, 09:23 PM
The coverage sucked absolute ass...and they wouldn't have had to cram so much information into a short period if they weren't running commercials every 2 minutes. The coverage was pathetic. The commentary was pathetic.

I love how they used Andy Katz:

Tirico: Now let's go to andy katz for the inside scoop...
Katz: This is who they wanted all along.
Tirico: Thanks
Kats: Blow me

Or something like that...I thought it was pretty shitty.

David
06-27-2003, 10:10 PM
The worst part, to me, was when they tried to interview Carmelo Anthony's mother and she was so emotional, she couldn't speak. All she could do was cry. The guy trying to interview her wouldn't give up. I'm talking to the TV, saying "leave her alone, you dumbass". These guys need to get a clue. Talk to someone about basketball and leave the crying mother's and wives alone.

Also, interviewing guys with the same inane, nothing questions or talking to players who's #1 language is not English is not very informative.

mavsfanforever
06-27-2003, 10:26 PM
[i]Talk to someone about basketball and leave the crying mother's and wives alone.

I second that.

Quite frankly I am also sick of seeing Kidd's wife and his son while I am watching a game. I was also bugged watching the world series last year when Dusty baker's son was shown more than anything.