PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tolbert fired?

mavsfanforever
06-28-2003, 08:29 AM
Doug Collins sounds very very boring to me. Doug Collins along with Bill Walton- my got the ratings will sink to all-time low.

Link (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/fritz_quindt/20030625.html)

The buzz

ABC's to-do list for Year 2 of NBA coverage includes replacing Bill Walton-Tom Tolbert with Doug Collins, increasing weekend exposures and reviving 9 p.m. ET playoff tipoffs. Because ...

Vital stats

ABC's record-low 6.5 rating for The Finals was a plummet of 36 percent from 2002, prompting nearly the heartburn of NBC's 40 percent dive in 1999 after Michael Jordan's second retirement from the Bulls.

Evilmav2
06-28-2003, 08:36 AM
Take Tolbert off of the ABC broadcasts? That sounds like one more reason not to watch them...

Hopefully they will keep him on the ESPN games (with or without Walton)...

Just211
06-28-2003, 08:57 PM
no shit, they are replacing the wrong guy. The only thing bearable about the games is Tolbert's smart ass responses to Waltons stupidity

MavKikiNYC
06-28-2003, 08:58 PM
One down, two to go.

mavsfanforever
06-28-2003, 09:05 PM
actually there is a chance that they might replace the entire crew. I don't mind having Tony Kornheiser, Dan patrick , Wilbon doing these games on sunday. Tony and Wilbon are funny and Dan is a serious guy.

jayC
06-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Its always the game not the broadcasters. Monday Night Football tried Dennis Miller didn't really matter and then went madden not much of a change in ratings. It doesn't matter whos in the booth its all about the quality of play. I hope they can lease Bob Costas from NBC and put him back with Collins. Is there an anouncer in the league that said the obvious more then Tom Tolbert gah this guy is boring. Bring Dr. Jack to anaylze games or even Rick Carlisle whos good as well.

When you have 80 point ball games no one really watches. It doesn't help that you have suberb markets in the finals. We needed the lakers and celtics, not to mention the fact that kidd and Duncan have zero personality or charisma.

Nash13
06-29-2003, 12:31 AM
I remember when ESPN showed Denver v. Detroit games. I'm not very sure what they were thinking, but the commentating was the only thing that'll make you watch. I started to like Bill Walton in the finals.

And to whomever it was that was hoping ESPN would keep them, ABC and ESPN are like a partnership, so that can't happen.

But if they do what NBC did with Marv Albert, they may go to TNT.

mavsfanforever
06-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13
I remember when ESPN showed Denver v. Detroit games. I'm not very sure what they were thinking, but the commentating was the only thing that'll make you watch. I started to like Bill Walton in the finals.

Denver Vs Detroit has had a lot of history to it. Plus if I am not wrong they were wearing those retro jerseys. I did see that game.

Nash13
06-29-2003, 01:01 AM
so, i know you didn't watch at least an hour of that game just b/c of their history in the 80s/90s and those Jerseys.

mavsfanforever
06-29-2003, 02:12 AM
Its not about me. I was just telling you the reason why ESPN televised that game.

Nash13
06-29-2003, 01:48 PM
I get what you're saying, but the commentating kept the viewers.

Mandyahl
06-29-2003, 09:21 PM
i'm not a big tolbert fan at all. i can live with this.

FilthyFinMavs
06-29-2003, 11:26 PM
I liked Tolbert for 2 reasons. For shutting Walton up at times and for backing the Mavs up. My only fault with him is for not shutting Walton up more.

mattyd
06-30-2003, 11:59 PM
Warning:
Less Tom Tolbert and more Stuart Scott is a very, very bad thing.

mattyd
07-01-2003, 12:06 AM
Sorry to double post, but oh well...

Mike Torico (spelling?) is television anthrax. ESPN/ABC is destroying the game of basketball.

Mandyahl
07-01-2003, 12:12 AM
i think it's tirico. but he is terrible.

Dirks Cuzin
07-01-2003, 12:11 PM
Bill Walton would do great alone!!! The ratings will skyrocket because people wanted Tom Tolbert to NOT shut Walton up. U will all c wat I mean, by the end of next year, Waltons going to be everyones fav announcer. Him and his new buddy Stuart Scott (Droopy Eyed Man!!)

u2sarajevo
07-01-2003, 12:20 PM
I just think Walton's "throw it down" schtick is tired. I turn the TV down when he is part of the announcing crew. I say get Marv Albert (to ABC), at least when he beat you down with schtick he would recover and keep you interested.

Big Boy Laroux
07-01-2003, 01:48 PM
i love walton, but hate scott.

it will be nothing but "he making pookie and ray-ray so proud" and crap like that. THAT is tired.