View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #151
texasbball

texasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to all

Taken from Mavs Moneyball:
"This starting unit does not work
There’s enough of a sample size (294 minutes) to say this definitively. Dennis Smith, Luka Doncic, Wesley Matthews, Harrison Barnes, and DeAndre Jordan post a net rating of -5.7 points per 100 possessions and that was before tonight’s game where all of the starters but Jordan posted plus minuses of -20 points or more. They are astoundingly bad.

According to NBA lineup data this line up is the worst 5 man unit with 250+ minutes and it’s not even close. Cutting it down to 200 minutes there is one trash fire Chicago Bulls line up that’s worse and a weird Rockets one that doesn’t work either.

What the Mavericks continue to see in this unit is beyond me."

So, WHY keep playing this starting unit? It DOESN'T WORK. The worst line up in the LEAGUE starting, almost the worst PERIOD. There's no good reason.

Doncic should be the de facto starting PG on offense. He sees the floor better than Smith, and has better instincts. He should initiate the offense. I'm not for firing Rick. Yet. But the season is no longer just starting. He's been called a "tinkerer" earlier. But he doesn't change this pathetic starting group. I'd start Kleber at 4, move Wes to the bench, and move Barnes to the 3. As a 4, he's small. Nobody mentions this. 6'8" but not very strong. Doncic plays 2 on defense, but 1 on offense. Reversed for Smith.

At least try something different. What we are doing doesn't work.
texasbball is offline   Reply With Quote