View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
You're right... but it just seems like lately teams that run a flow offense are asking their centers to take a percentage of threes. That wasn't so much the case in 2011. This has been trending for a few years.

The question with Adams has always been one of value, not talent. We don't know if he can adjust to the three-ball. Are we willing to pay that salary to find out?

This isn't really about what you or I think. It's about how the FO sees it.. and it's about some metrics we probably don't see as fans. For instance Tap2390 already posted some defensive metrics on Adams I was not aware of. We haven't talked much about situational defense, and I wouldn't know personally about Adams. We also don't know if he's slow in transition, or if his passing would be adequate in this system. But I'm sure the FO knows.

There is one other possibility. It's possible that the Mavs might want him, but that he's not available. I believe it's much more likely that he doesn't fit, or that he's too expensive... but anything is possible. Again, we don't know what the front office knows.
So I think we agree on more than we think.

1. The game has gone mostly in the direction that you mentioned but I think there are a few teams with biog men who don't shoot 3s that have proven that it can be successful.

2. I agree that he is slightly overpaid, but I still think you have to take into account age and overall skill/ impact. MOST importantly, our current situation and that Adams really cant hurt us financially because he has 2 more years (2021). I see more positives in that as well. If he does really well, then we have an advantage is resigning him when the time comes maybe to a team friendly deal and eh will be 28 and in his prime. If not, we get the cap space or look at other options.

3. I get some of those advanced stats and number and sometimes they are absolutely right, I think the eye test can be a good thing as well sometimes and a player like Adams IMO looks good already but if we put him in a different situation (away from RW), I feel like he would only improve. I would be curious about some of his stats when he was playing with RW and KD, although I think hes a better player now then he was years ago.

4. he is 25 and it would not surprise me at all if OKC wanted to hang on to him. A hard working, no drama kind of guy fits well in many places. If they decide to keep CP3 (even with his decline), I have already said that a lineup of CP3, SGA, Gallinari and Adams would not be bad at all and in fact I think Adams might benefit the most.

5. I think, based on what I have seen Adams overall skill set is pretty good and that he moves well in pick and rolls on offense, moves well without the ball and generally moves well on offense and defense.I think he is a willing and good (maybe not very good) passer. Obviously he is physical and rebounds well.

My argument always circles back to his age, what I THINK his fit/ skill set would be here, and the fact that its for 2 years and doesn't impact our current situation in a negative way in almost any scenario. At the same time, IF things work out well, we have a starting C pretty much for a good portion of Luka and KPs primes.