View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #14
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
1) KP and Doncic need to grow up and learn to win/play together. They're both talented, but you can't just throw talent together-- particularly young talent who have never really won big in the league and expect to win. They gotta learn to play together and learn to win.
The good news is, they have made a lot of progress together. It's easy to lose sight of because the loss was so incredibly frustrating, but KP looked frigging awesome against Houston- 39 and 12- and Luka put up his hilariously regular 28 point triple double. Earlier this year, KP looked so out of place and uncomfortable for a long enough time that I was legitimately worried that A: he would never be able to play next to Luka, or B: that he just wasn't the same player as before he tore his ACL. These two guys will be just fine, as long as they stay healthy. The last game was frustrating, but it happens. A missed free throw here, a turnover there, a bad foul there... Just inexperience and rust. It happens.

Quote:
2) They simply need more talent. Drafting well at 21/31 could help, but may not be enough. We're lagging behind in the level of talent we have on the roster. We don't have trade assets. We don't have first rounders in 2021, 2023, and 2025 and can't trade 2022 and 2024 draft picks at all. It's going to be hard, but I think we can do it.
As we've said before, the Mavs need to make their remaining draft picks count, and then hopefully we can make something happen in free agency next summer. Won't be easy, but we've got a better chance than most.

Quote:
3) More than the overall talent level, they need to build the roster around the guys we have. We (hopefully) learned the lesson in the year of the trash bag, but you can't surround Dirk with two other less-talented PFs and expect to win. Same with KP and Doncic who are both talented, but incredibly unique players who demand a unique roster to accompany them. We need defensive versatility. We need shooting. We need a big who can defend the PF and cover for some of KP's defensive liabilities. We need to build around the talent we have.
The way I see it, we need two things to be real contenders. A jack-of-all trades wingman, and an Ibaka-esque PF. We need a wingman who brings not only 3&D but can play a bit of point and take some of the burden off of Luka. Basically what Wright was supposed to be, but proved unable to. The name that frequently gets thrown around in fantasy scenarios is Oladipo. Pre-injury Oladipo is exactly the type of player we need. No clue if he can be close to that going forward though. And I've said before, Ibaka is the model of what we need at the 4 next to KP. 3&D, rebounding, and some toughness in the post.

Both of those guys are a bit older, and I don't know if we could get them anyway, so I'm not saying we need those two exactly, but those are the types of players we need.

Also, I giggled at "year of the trash bag."
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote