View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #52
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
It is annoying when talking with non Mavs fans that seem to think that team was stacked, and they bring up Caron. He had zero impact.
I think itís an interesting discussion. Itís a bit fuzzy at this point but I recall how the Mavericks with Caron started to gel right before he got hurt. I believe they started to look almost unbeatable with something like an eleven game win streak (By the way, I always feel like teams that can maintain extended win streaks are pretty good indicators of a team that can have championship aspirations). Then Caron got hurt and that completely took the wind out of the sails. To make matters much worse, Dirk went down and the Mavs looked completely lost for a stretch. That group without Dirk and Caron had to fight through some tough times. When I think of that season, I feel like so many things had to break right for it to work out the way it did. I think it could have been pivotal that the team without Dirk and Caron got thoroughly humbled after tasting so much early season success. They all had to figure out how to pick up their level of play. Once Dirk came back and got rolling again, I recall they went on another 11-plus game win streak prior to the playoffs. And we all know what happens next..

Certainly, Caron isnít the biggest contributor to their success that season, but I do think he is part of the story of how that team won that championship. I do wonder sometimes what would have been if he had never gotten hurt. I wonder what the advanced stats tell us about how dominant that team with Caron became once they started to gel. I know I was pretty devastated once he went down with injury. Anyhow, my two cents.. 🙂
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote