Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 4 40.00%
Mavs win by 10-19 2 20.00%
Mavs win by 1-9 2 20.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 1 10.00%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #121
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Powell got 27 minutes and the start, so he doesn't get the poor rotations pass. And you can start to throw Brunson in there as well if he keeps this up.
That's a long-standing gripe of mine. There's so much talk about the fluidity of lineups, but on a night where Powell and THJ both easily were out worst players, they get 27 + 24.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #122
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If they did this against a good team or a defensive one like Orlando, then I could give it a pass. The Knicks are the worst team in the league, and you shouldn't have to rely on two players to beat them. Like, this is the type of team you would THINK Powell would be good at.
Oh I'm not giving them a pass. I'm saying you won't win many games when the "others" play like they did tonight.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #123
crum

crum will become famous soon enoughcrum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
not talking about Lee

Powell
Kleber
DFS
Brunson
THJ
Jackson
Seth
Wright

Thats the 8
I'm not saying you're talking about Lee, I'm talking about the stupid rotational decisions by Rick. Maxi looked fine out there, so he should not be on the list. when you give guys inconsistent minutes and units they're playing with, there will be inconsistent results
crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #124
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Can Seth really handle more than 20 minutes a night? It took forever for that stress fracture to heal. I don’t think the plan for him was to ever be a 30 minute a night player.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #125
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Oh I'm not giving them a pass. I'm saying you won't win many games when the "others" play like they did tonight.
Right, that was my point that might have been lost. I personally would give them a pass under certain circumstances, but the B squad just simply let us down against a team they should have easily excelled at. I don't think it's for lack of trying either...

The one thing I will say is that franchise is out for blood after the KP ordeal, so this is their gift to the fans.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-08-2019 at 11:41 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #126
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If they did this against a good team or a defensive one like Orlando, then I could give it a pass. The Knicks are the worst team in the league, and you shouldn't have to rely on two players to beat them. Like, this is the type of team you would THINK Powell would be good at.
Nick from LockedOnMavs has that running joke of listing players Powell can't guard. I guess you can add Randle and Gibson to the list. I think it's becoming a real problem for the Mavs because Powell theoretically is their best roll-guy, which they need to run their system. But I guess you could argue that Maxi is the better option nonetheless.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:43 PM   #127
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the whole offense and what plays to run is still a mess. Playing Powell 27min but he takes just one shot and is basically never in a good position rolling to the basket?

Seth 13min and getting NO open shot?

Thats the things that just cant happen.

Time to toughen up. Wright and Kleber should start.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:45 PM   #128
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Can Seth really handle more than 20 minutes a night? It took forever for that stress fracture to heal. I don’t think the plan for him was to ever be a 30 minute a night player.
Early in the season they said something about a minor thing. Health issues could explain a lot. Maybe he still isn't 100%.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:00 AM   #129
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Early in the season they said something about a minor thing. Health issues could explain a lot. Maybe he still isn't 100%.
Yeah. I’m guessing one of the reasons he signed here is because he trusts the medical staff and appreciated the way he was treated last time he was here. It’s possible that he is in full agreement with his minutes load so far.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #130
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah the whole offense and what plays to run is still a mess. Playing Powell 27min but he takes just one shot and is basically never in a good position rolling to the basket?

Seth 13min and getting NO open shot?

Thats the things that just cant happen.

Time to toughen up. Wright and Kleber should start.
And Jackson. Luka/Wright/Jackson/KP/Kleber has all of the goods. Jackson missed shots he usually makes tonight, but he rarely to never forces anything. He is the guy who would MOST benefit playing with the starters versus playing with THJ. That's just a bad fit duo-wise.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:29 AM   #131
Heezzi

Heezzi is a jewel in the roughHeezzi is a jewel in the roughHeezzi is a jewel in the roughHeezzi is a jewel in the roughHeezzi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
That's about players making bad decisions though. I'm talking about specifically designed plays to get Seth open. It's not a make or break thing anyway, but I was amazed that they seem to do it for THJ more than our best shooter.
No, that is about coaching. The coach controls the rotations and the plays called.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #132
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a jewel in the roughSimon2 is a jewel in the roughSimon2 is a jewel in the roughSimon2 is a jewel in the roughSimon2 is a jewel in the rough

Carlisle has always been weird about rotations. But poor excuses to have a bruiser or another playmaker. Use the players you have and don’t keep changing lineups. Consistency works. Stop tinkering too much. Carlise’s key phrase ,’who we match up with’. Wrong. Opponents should match with Mavs. Mavs have the unicorn and Luka. Both are unique talents. Teams should be adjusting to Mavs not the Mavs adjusting to them. Ever heard of champions talk this way. Champions have an attitude of try to stop us. We will dominate you. Champions are not sheep
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #133
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
Carlisle has always been weird about rotations. But poor excuses to have a bruiser or another playmaker. Use the players you have and don’t keep changing lineups. Consistency works. Stop tinkering too much. Carlise’s key phrase ,’who we match up with’. Wrong. Opponents should match with Mavs. Mavs have the unicorn and Luka. Both are unique talents. Teams should be adjusting to Mavs not the Mavs adjusting to them. Ever heard of champions talk this way. Champions have an attitude of try to stop us. We will dominate you. Champions are not sheep
This where a reaction button is all that’s needed. Lol
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #134
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I still don't get why everyone hates on Luka's three point attempt at the end of the game. Why? Because he got Kleber an open look a play later just to brick it. Perhaps Luka could have done some other things to get a closer shot, but I'll take that over anyone else's regular three point shot every day of the week.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #135
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
Avery trying to match up with other teams (as well as some other things) is one of the reasons his ass got out of here and is coaching college now. Spot on post
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #136
Dallas41

Dallas41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I still don't get why everyone hates on Luka's three point attempt at the end of the game. Why? Because he got Kleber an open look a play later just to brick it. Perhaps Luka could have done some other things to get a closer shot, but I'll take that over anyone else's regular three point shot every day of the week.
The problem wasn't the shot

The problem was how quickly he took the shot.

I love luka's game but sometimes he does take quick shots that turn out to be bad decisions

He has to get better at understanding time and game management

But that is on RC because he allows that type of stuff

If Popovich was coaching in the same situation you wouldn't see a spurs player jacking up that type of shot so quickly in a key possession

The Mavs basketbal IQ is average at best because they are a young team but that's why coaching has to become more important until you can get guys like luka and porzingus up to speed in late game clock management

Dirk and nash developed into high IQ players late in games let's hope both luka and porzingus can reach their levels

Last edited by Dallas41; 11-09-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #137
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
The problem wasn't the shot

The problem was how quickly he took the shot.

I love luka's game but sometimes he does take quick shots that turn out to be bad decisions

He has to get better at understanding time and game management

But that is on RC because he allows that type of stuff

If Popovich was coaching in the same situation you wouldn't see a spurs player jacking up that type of shot so quickly in a key possession

The Mavs basketbal IQ is average at best because they are a young team but that's why coaching has to become more important until you can get guys like luka and porzingus up to speed in late game clock management

Dirk and nash developed into high IQ players late in games let's hope both luka and porzingus can reach their levels
Thanks, and co-sign.

Who checks Doncic internally? Who disciplines him? Who tells him no? Who tells him to slow down? Who tells him to stop shooting 6 seconds into the shot-clock? Who tells him to stop flopping? Who tells him to stop whining, palms-up after every play? Who tells him to be so effing annoying self-congratulatory? It's as if he's addicted to the adulation after a spectacular play, self- and otherwise. Yeah, we've seen you do it before; now slow down and make the smart play at the end of a game instead of turnover or a ridiculously long, early shot.

Makes me think back to the Summer and the rumored-and-failed Dragic trade, and how that could've speeded Doncic's development as a floor general. Dragic would've been a mature presence who Doncic reportedly idolized when he was young; more of a peer than a coach, who could mentor him and help him mature into a game-winner as opposed to a stat-maker, who understands that he has to trust his teammates enough to let THEM hit the game winner. (Rubio, at the same price, might also have been an option, and was an available UFA, IIRC.)

Last night was a brutal reminder to keep expectations in check. This is a young, inexperienced team, still working out team chemistry, still trying to figure out who can play together. They are emotionally immature, not yet steeled to stay calm and execute under pressure in a close, competitive, hard-fought, physical game. Sometime a spectacular individual play will win a ballgame, but over time it's going to be smart team play. They aren't there yet, or necessarily even close.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 11-09-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #138
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Thanks, and co-sign.

Who checks Doncic internally? Who disciplines him? Who tells him no? Who tells him to slow down? Who tells him to stop shooting 6 seconds into the shot-clock? Who tells him to stop flopping? Who tells him to stop whining, palms-up after every play? Who tells him to be so effing annoying self-congratulatory? It's as if he's addicted to the adulation after a spectacular play, self- and otherwise. Yeah, we've seen you do it before; now slow down and make the smart play at the end of a game instead of turnover or a ridiculously long, early shot.

Makes me think back to the Summer and the rumored-and-failed Dragic trade, and how that could've speeded Doncic's development as a floor general. Dragic would've been a mature presence who Doncic reportedly idolized when he was young; more of a peer than a coach, who could mentor him and help him mature into a game-winner as opposed to a stat-maker, who understands that he has to trust his teammates enough to let THEM hit the game winner. (Rubio, at the same price, might also have been an option, and was an available UFA, IIRC.)

Last night was a brutal reminder to keep expectations in check. This is a young, inexperienced team, still working out team chemistry, still trying to figure out who can play together. They are emotionally immature, not yet steeled to stay calm and execute under pressure in a close, competitive, hard-fought, physical game. Sometime a spectacular individual play will win a ballgame, but over time it's going to be smart team play. They aren't there yet, or necessarily even close.
This is high quality posting. Bravo. (not sarcasm btw)

This is super on the money to me. This is literally exactly why I wanted the Dragic trade and hope we can get him at some point. Not only would it be a luxury, we actually need him.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #139
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Luka said it was a bad shot and a mistake in the post game interview. He said something about losing again because of a bad decision he made.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #140
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Knicks are right 2-15 from downtown against the Cavs. Morris and Frank combined 0-4

Yeah their shooting was such a horseshit against is
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #141
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Knicks are right 2-15 from downtown against the Cavs. Morris and Frank combined 0-4

Yeah their shooting was such a horseshit against is
It was their big victory to appease the psycho fans who can't let the KP thing go.

That isn't what Mavs fans were upset about though. I'm fine with a trap loss to a team that will celebrate basically their only real victory of the season. I'm not fine with basically the entire team outside of KP/Luka not showing up.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:41 AM   #142
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtroducing MASKED View Post
This is high quality posting. Bravo. (not sarcasm btw)

This is super on the money to me. This is literally exactly why I wanted the Dragic trade and hope we can get him at some point. Not only would it be a luxury, we actually need him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Thanks, and co-sign.

https://www.nba.com/heat/newsrecap/best-worst-sho

Here's a good article about Goran from '17. The way he feels about the game and ihow he is a constant student of the game who will communicate well with coaches. It goes right along with what's yall are saying about how he could help this team for sure. I like digging into team chemistry and psychology of this team. There are other guys we could've reasonably had and I'll leave that for another time.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:40 AM   #143
turin
Platinum Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of

Watched the recording of the game earlier. Thank heaven for fast forward. Wow. Knicks won't have another game shooting the ball that well from 3 the remainder of the season. THJ is the second coming of the offensive black hole that was Harrison Barnes. The dude is a chucker who rarely passes the ball. He needs to be gone. No Boban? WTF? SMH Okay, that's enough. Most everything else has been touched on. The sooner I forget this game the better. What a wasted opportunity.

Last edited by turin; 11-11-2019 at 03:42 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote