Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 11:15 PM   #201
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Is Wright's great playmaking off the bench overshadowing Brunson and making him less relevant?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2019, 11:33 PM   #202
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Wright needs to start even if it's against his will. He is just too good to come off the bench, and I think that actually might help Brunson play a bigger role off the bench as well.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #203
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Who is this team?
Most promising team we’ve seen here in a long time. They haven’t really been out of a single game. Went to OT vs Lakers, and beat the Nuggets.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #204
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Bullets:
  • I yelled at my TV because the Mavs once more sleepwalked into the game. But then they showed the fire I had hoped for, especially in the second half. Good effort and a quality win.
  • That we beat the Raps by shooting that poorly from three makes the win that much more impressive. Team really moved well without the ball at times, which made the offense much less stagnant. Imho most of our guys should be more aggressive when they have an open lane.
  • Shooting however was not encouraging. We are currently a high volume low percentage three-point shooting team. I assume we'll have a very high variance from game to game.
  • I guess we found our starting lineup? It's the one many favored for a long time because it simply makes sense and tonight they finally were able to deliver. Especially likes that Curry finally had an great a-around game. Even made some plays on defense.
  • Talking about defense, how about Maxi! Only 2-8 from three but boy he played a team-high 38 and deserved every bit of it. Siakam 6-24 is mainly because of him. Dude could never score and would still be a plus.
  • Seems like Rick is finally pulling the right strings. Powell's and THJ's minutes were down, Maxi starting, and Doncic getting rest a little bit earlier in the third to get more time in the 4th. My only explanation is that he reads MFFL Twitter.
  • Wright was an absolute beast and led the bench unit. He is so smooth and under control. Getting him consistent minutes closer to 25 should be a priority.
  • KP had a subpar shooting night, but was very engaged and held his ground on defense against Gasol a few times. Really good overall effort from him and a nice bounce-back game after MSG.
  • Luka wasn't looking too great early on, missing free throws and coughing the ball up. He rebounded to some extent, but felt like this was one of his weaker performances so far. Mediocre Luka is still good for 26/15/7 though. And he sealed the game in the 4th.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #205
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Delon
Luka
Curry
KP
Maxi
Problem with that lineup is luka would have to defend the bigger scoring wings like a paul george or Andrew Wiggins type

I don't think Wright is big enough to handle those duties which is why DFS starts

If luka had two capabilities that lineup would make sense but he doesn't so I don't think playing Wright and curry works on the perimeter with luka

I prefer Wright and DFS starting giving us somewhat of defensive tandem comparable to the Marion/D.Stevenson look that we surrounded dirk with
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:29 AM   #206
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Is Wright's great playmaking off the bench overshadowing Brunson and making him less relevant?
When luka comes out the game I actually like Wright next to curry in the backcourt

Those two seem to fit like hand in glove on the floor with their separate styles of play.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing both Hardaway and Brunson get less minutes and luka, Wright and curry eat up most of the backcourt minutes

I think Brunson and Hardaway should both get dialed back to around 10-12 mpg on a consistent basis.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #207
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Wright needs to start even if it's against his will. He is just too good to come off the bench, and I think that actually might help Brunson play a bigger role off the bench as well.
I do agree with the 2nd part of your statement but both Wright and Brunson seem to be much more comfortable with the ball in their hands. Brunson is the better shooter and younger so it wouldn't surprise me if his value becomes more as a trade piece in a bigger deal. I personally think Barea is just being held back while Rick evaluates the younger guys and his role will increase later in the season if younger players in his position don't step up or if someone gets traded.

Jackson might be in a similar situation as Brunson with DFS being the better defender. Jackson is a much better shooter/scorer but we need more defense in the starting lineup so DFS might be a better fit in Rick's mind. If we can move THJ then Jackson's time should go up significantly. If we can't move THJ then Jackson might become a trade piece along with Brunson.

IDK...just trying to make some sense of the situation.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-17-2019 at 09:55 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #208
dirt_dobber
Platinum Member

dirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I personally think Barea is just being held back while Rick evaluates the younger guys and his role will increase later in the season if younger players in his position don't step up or if someone gets traded.

Jackson might be in a similar situation as Brunson with DFS being the better defender. Jackson is a much better shooter/scorer but we need more defense in the starting lineup so DFS might be a better fit in Rick's mind. If we can move THJ then Jackson's time should go up significantly. If we can't move THJ then Jackson might become a trade piece along with Brunson.

IDK...just trying to make some sense of the situation.
I agree wholeheartedly with your post!
I'm thinking that since we don't have any 1st round draft picks to trade that
it is going to cost us some of our valued younger guys.
I hate the thought of giving up any of these guys - JBrunson, JJackson, DFS but it might be needed to add talent like OKC-Steven Adams or Heat-Dragic or Wash-BBeal.
The December 15th to Feb.7 trade market is going to be furious this year.

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 11-17-2019 at 12:31 PM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #209
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

The most obvious change to the rotation would be to sit THJ who is shooting 35%fg and 30% from 3, and give those minutes to Brunson, Jackson and Wright. JJB and Boban play matchups or as a spark. If the idea is to get THJ value up for trade it ain’t happening. We can only trade him, if at all, for an equally onerous contract likely one that runs longer. We are pitifully short of assets aside from Luka and KP. Delon has a decent contract, Maxi does too but we need him. Brunson profiles as a backup he’s just small and not as quick or good defensively as a Van Vleet. JJJ some team might take a flyer on? We’ve got nuthin another team wants. Maybe C. Lee for a salary dump nets us an asset?
mac222b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #210
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with your post!
I'm thinking that since we don't have any 1st round draft picks to trade that
it is going to cost us some of our valued younger guys.
I hate the thought of giving up any of these guys - JBrunson, JJackson, DFS but it might be needed to add talent like OKC-Steven Adams or Heat-Dragic or Wash-BBeal.
The December 15th to Feb.7 trade market is going to be furious this year.
So many teams can trump our offer those guys. And we may have burned the Dragic bridge with Miami.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #211
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mac222b;1464895]The most obvious change to the rotation would be to sit THJ who is shooting 35%fg and 30% from 3, and give those minutes to Brunson, Jackson and Wright. /QUOTE]

Most. Obvious. Yet Rick isn't yet interested yet.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #212
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It really does make sense to play THJ. If you can get him to break out, then it helps the team and ups whatever trade value he might have (which right now is 0). Can't just bench a 20 million a year guy 20 games into the season. Just sucks it's at the expense of Jackson who is better in pretty much every way minus maybe ball handling.

Curry FINALLY played well against the Raptors. THJ can play well too. Coach HAS to hold him accountable for dumb shots like quick long twos though.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #213
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It really does make sense to play THJ. If you can get him to break out, then it helps the team and ups whatever trade value he might have (which right now is 0). Can't just bench a 20 million a year guy 20 games into the season. Just sucks it's at the expense of Jackson who is better in pretty much every way minus maybe ball handling.

Curry FINALLY played well against the Raptors. THJ can play well too. Coach HAS to hold him accountable for dumb shots like quick long twos though.
THJ isnt going to take better shots. He may hit some of the bad shots he takes a tiny bit more often but it won't move the needle. Even if he played 35 minutes a game and improved his fg% it won't fool other teams into thinking he is the player they need. I defended him the first 6 or 7 games but he just continues to take bad shots and it's gotten worse in the last 4 games.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #214
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
THJ isnt going to take better shots. He may hit some of the bad shots he takes a tiny bit more often but it won't move the needle. Even if he played 35 minutes a game and improved his fg% it won't fool other teams into thinking he is the player they need. I defended him the first 6 or 7 games but he just continues to take bad shots and it's gotten worse in the last 4 games.
Trust me, I'm not defending him, but it does no good to bench him this early. His contract is so bad that you HAVE to at least try. I'm just saying I get it. And at least he is young, healthy, and does put in the effort for the most part. He just has a low BBIQ and isn't very good.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #215
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Warning: The following is not suitable for children or fans of the Dallas Mavericks.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdow...ract&font=hand
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #216
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Trust me, I'm not defending him, but it does no good to bench him this early. His contract is so bad that you HAVE to at least try. I'm just saying I get it. And at least he is young, healthy, and does put in the effort for the most part. He just has a low BBIQ and isn't very good.
I'm ok with playing him but reducing his minutes. More than we need him to pan out or boost his trade value, we need to know what Jax and Wright can do with more consistent opportunity. Both have more upside and make better decisions. THJ value to the vast majority of teams is almost solely based on his expiring contract no?

Old 11-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #217
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Warning: The following is not suitable for children or fans of the Dallas Mavericks.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdow...ract&font=hand
Lol. Holy moly. Can we add the count down to the front page or a sticky thread

Old 11-18-2019, 01:20 AM   #218
mac222b
Diamond Member

There is no upping THJ value. The only way to deal him is for another equally bad or worse contract. He’s overpaid even by the standard of his best season.