Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-27-2019, 03:03 AM   #161
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I don't see it as a knee jerk to say that our roster is one superstar surrounded by a bunch of so-so rotational role players, and that that just doesn't cut it to contend in today's NBA.

I picked the Clippers too. The Clippers might be the best team in the league. I'm just looking at the Mavs current roster and trying to figure out what we need to get better. And by better, I mean what do we need to be a title contender. 1- more 3 and D (but every team in the league needs this, so it's sort of moot) 2- a tough rebounder/banger to put next to KP in the front court, 3- Another guy in the backcourt that can lighten Luka's playmaking load.

What part of that is knee jerk?
Completely agree....especially with #2.
Was saying that all preseason when the roster was being built.

We will be labeled as a soft jump shooting team until we get some tough inside presence. Giving Powell that extension will end up being one of the dumbest moves that Cuban and Donnie ever did. Now theyíll have to waste assets to make up for it and weíll most likely be stuck with him anyway.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2019, 04:39 AM   #162
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
If dfs could have hit some of the wide open 3 looks he had and KP could have finished a few times. It would have been much closer. Dfs getting manhandled by Kawhi was upsetting. Hopefully the guys soak this in and it's a wake up call for the lack of physicality and grit.
Weíve been saying that about DFS for a few seasons now. Heís not going to be a consistent shooter.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:44 AM   #163
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Quote:
Just goes to show you how far the Mavs actually are from contending. Outside of Luka, the Mavs roster is pretty awful. Most of the players are not individually awful, they're mostly okay rotational role players, but that's the entire roster. You're supposed to have like 4 of those type of players, and with the rest being quality impact players.

It's tough to say what the Mavs need going forward, because we kind of need everything. Like every other team in the league, we need 3 and D wing guys. I'd say we could really use a sort of old-school 4 who can rebound and play in the post, given how KP is awful in the post and is most effective as a spot up shooter. KP is a stretch 5, nothing more, nothing less. The sooner RC realizes that, the better. Most of all though, the Mavs DESPERATELY need another playmaker in the backcourt. Luka can't initiate the offense on every position. We need another quality perimeter player who can carry the offense when Luka is on the bench, as well as allow Luka to play off the ball a bit when he's on the floor. This will not only lighten the load on Luka, but also Luka's 3pt% should go up significantly if he actually starts getting open looks, instead of only taking that step-back.

MBT have their work cut out for them. Unfortunately the free agent class this season is garbage, and I don't feel like the Mavs have a whole lot in terms of trade assets, given how much we had to give up to get KP.
Great post and I think the hardest thing is prioritizing those things mentioned. Rebounder first or another guy that can initiate offense? Mavs currently have too many guards that are ok at one thing, bad at another. So we continue with inconsist rotations.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:54 AM   #164
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the rough

I like how the clippers use zubac as a low minute starter.

I wish RC would do this with boban. I personally think he's a better option than Powell or Kleber to start games.

Those two guys have always excelled off the bench vs other backups.

Also, I think Brunson and curry should both be used as situational players. JJB seems like the perfect guy to run this 2nd unit.

My starters would be
Boban
KP
DFS
Hardaway
Luka

Bench
Powell
Kleber
Jackson
Wright
Barea

Trade targets would be A.Drummond or A.Gordon
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:13 AM   #165
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

I wish RC would do this with boban. I personally think he's a better option than Powell or Kleber to start games.

Also, I think Brunson and curry should both be used as situational players. JJB seems like the perfect guy to run this 2nd unit.

My starters would be
Boban
KP
DFS
Hardaway
Luka

Bench
Powell
Kleber
Jackson
Wright
Barea

Rick will probably start going more to Barea because we're getting close to that 20 game mark and I think the 1st quarter of the year is more about evaluating talent and chemistry. Nobody has really stepped up but we are definitely a PO caliber team so Rick will turn to the guys on the team who he trusts and JJB is one of them.

Unfortunately so is Powell but the issues that he creates will force the FO to find a better option and Drummond is someone I would welcome. I personally don't think we have the assets to get Gordon though.

It wouldn't surprise me though if Cuban goes after a bigger name like Griffin or Paul to be a 3rd option.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-27-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #166
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Just goes to show you how far the Mavs actually are from contending. Outside of Luka, the Mavs roster is pretty awful. Most of the players are not individually awful, they're mostly okay rotational role players, but that's the entire roster. You're supposed to have like 4 of those type of players, and with the rest being quality impact players.

It's tough to say what the Mavs need going forward, because we kind of need everything. Like every other team in the league, we need 3 and D wing guys. I'd say we could really use a sort of old-school 4 who can rebound and play in the post, given how KP is awful in the post and is most effective as a spot up shooter. KP is a stretch 5, nothing more, nothing less. The sooner RC realizes that, the better. Most of all though, the Mavs DESPERATELY need another playmaker in the backcourt. Luka can't initiate the offense on every position. We need another quality perimeter player who can carry the offense when Luka is on the bench, as well as allow Luka to play off the ball a bit when he's on the floor. This will not only lighten the load on Luka, but also Luka's 3pt% should go up significantly if he actually starts getting open looks, instead of only taking that step-back.

MBT have their work cut out for them. Unfortunately the free agent class this season is garbage, and I don't feel like the Mavs have a whole lot in terms of trade assets, given how much we had to give up to get KP.
We are as far away as pretty much every other team. All this game showed is that we are not in same level with the #1 team.

There were a few areas we were bad in like missing some open shots and giving up offensive rebounds. That will kill you against most teams.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #167
dirt_dobber
Platinum Member

dirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant future

As a team we shot 38% and only attempted 79 shots (most games our FGA is in the 90's).
We only had a total of 16 assists (which is also a reflection of our shooting % tonight)
We were out rebounded by 10 boards (56/46)
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #168
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Old 11-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #169
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Kanter was available for pennies and mbt preferred overpaying Powell.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #170
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
We are as far away as pretty much every other team. All this game showed is that we are not in same level with the #1 team.

There were a few areas we were bad in like missing some open shots and giving up offensive rebounds. That will kill you against most teams.
We arent as far off as every other team though. If we could just upgrade 2 spots we are in the mix of the Top 5 for sure.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #171
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is what is most galling about the Powell deal. Always bigs that can give you 15-20 minutes per night available for pennies.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #172
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

We definitely need another scorer that can get his own shot when Luka goes to the bench. Delon has not been consistently able to do that.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #173
turin
Diamond Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Ack! Uncle! Please, wait until AFTER Thanksgiving to point these things out. I'd really like to hold my meal down. :-/
turin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #174
turin
Diamond Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of

Quote:

My starters would be
Boban
KP
DFS
Hardaway
Luka

Bench
Powell
Kleber
Jackson
Wright
Barea

Boban's biggest problem is that he's 7'4"
If he were only 5'4", then RC would think he had a useful piece. :-O

Seriously though, I would love to know, if given the opportunity, how many Mavs players would pick Powell over Boban to play the middle if it was their basketball team. What exactly do the Mavs give up? Boban pretty much shuts down traffic in the middle. He outrebounds Powell by a mile even if he stands flat-footed. Ok, so his offensive game may not look so smooth at times, but what about Powell? 1 dunk a game is not exactly explosive offensive output. His 3's? I remember second half of last season everybody raving about Powell's improved 3-pt shooting. Yeah, that's quite the weapon. Has he even shot an average of 1/game? I just don't get the negative of starting Boban over Powell. We have enough offense, and Powell contributes very little, so that's not it. Rebounds? That's not it. Wasted energy? Yeah, Powell has that in spades, but so what? Boban at 5 with KP as a stretch 4 with Luka is a very big lineup. Mix and match from there. Need a shooter? Hello JJB. He looks healthy, and he's another facilitator. Okay, gotta stop here, or I'll just keep on ranting.

Please, somebody give me the overwhelming reason why Powell plays over Boban aside from ridiculous contract and the Jerry Jones' level of stubborness trying to prove to everybody else that you are right and they are wrong. SMH

Last edited by turin; 11-27-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #175
crum

crum will become famous soon enoughcrum will become famous soon enough

this second unit could use jamal crawford
crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #176
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Powell seems to have regressed; seems to be playing spastic (again) this year, though this had tailed off somewhat last year. So much wasted motion, wasted energy, then freezes like a dear in the headlights when he catches a pass. I have appreciated what Powell has brought to the Mavs, but if he can't (at least) maintain the level of play he showed in the last half of last year, then he should move toward the end of the bench, until such time as he can become useful in a trade.

Who is the development coach responsible for working with Mavs' bigs? Is Dirk totally uninterested in a role with the Mavs' coaching staff? If so, what about Pau Gasol? If Dragic is unattainable/unavailable to work with Dribblić, what about Steve Nash?

Kanter isn't a solution, he's just a different set of problems: a one-dimensional, one-trick pony offensively; and a head-case, drama-queen, who can't even manage to get in the way defensively; add injury-prone this year. A hard 'hell no' to Kanter.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 11-27-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #177
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Boban's biggest problem is that he's 7'4"
If he were only 5'4", then RC would think he had a useful piece. :-O

Seriously though, I would love to know, if given the opportunity, how many Mavs players would pick Powell over Boban to play the middle if it was their basketball team. What exactly do the Mavs give up? Boban pretty much shuts down traffic in the middle. He outrebounds Powell by a mile even if he stands flat-footed. Ok, so his offensive game may not look so smooth at times, but what about Powell? 1 dunk a game is not exactly explosive offensive output. His 3's? I remember second half of last season everybody raving about Powell's improved 3-pt shooting. Yeah, that's quite the weapon. Has he even shot an average of 1/game? I just don't get the negative of starting Boban over Powell. We have enough offense, and Powell contributes very little, so that's not it. Rebounds? That's not it. Wasted energy? Yeah, Powell has that in spades, but so what? Boban at 5 with KP as a stretch 4 with Luka is a very big lineup. Mix and match from there. Need a shooter? Hello JJB. He looks healthy, and he's another facilitator. Okay, gotta stop here, or I'll just keep on ranting.

Please, somebody give me the overwhelming reason why Powell plays over Boban aside from ridiculous contract and the Jerry Jones' level of stubborness trying to prove to everybody else that you are right and they are wrong. SMH
The concern is somehow Boban getting blown by, right? But defensively Powell has the exact opposite concerns. He's not big enough to defend legit Centers or consistently rebound with good rebounders. It's well past time to start Boban or Maxi until we can hopefully move Powell.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #178
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Powell seems to have regressed; seems to be playing spastic (again) this year, though this had tailed off somewhat last year. So much wasted motion, wasted energy, then freezes like a dear in the headlights when he catches a pass. I have appreciated what Powell has brought to the Mavs, but if he can't (at least) maintain the level of play he showed in the last half of last year, then he should move toward the end of the bench, until such time as he can become useful in a trade.

Who is the development coach responsible for working with Mavs' bigs?
Is Dirk totally uninterested in a role with the Mavs' coaching staff? If so, what about Pau Gasol? If Dragic is unattainable/unavailable to work with Dribblić, what about Steve Nash?

Kanter isn't a solution, he's just a different set of problems: a one-dimensional, one-trick pony offensively; and a head-case, drama-queen, who can't even manage to get in the way defensively; add injury-prone this year. A hard 'hell no' to Kanter.

There really isn't a big man coach. Jamahl Mosley might be the closest to that category? They need to figure something out and have them talk some sense into Rick.

Regarding Kanter, you mean to tell me that 2/9mil contract isn't way better than Powell?? It's not even close. Powell is a one trick pony too offensively and he can't defend or rebound. I'm not saying boom Kanter = Mavs contender but I don't think there should be any question whether we would be better off if we had signed him over Powell.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #179
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Regarding Kanter, you mean to tell me that 2/9mil contract isn't way better than Powell?? It's not even close. Powell is a one trick pony too offensively and he can't defend or rebound. I'm not saying boom Kanter = Mavs contender but I don't think there should be any question whether we would be better off if we had signed him over Powell.
That's exactly what I meant--Kanter isn't a net gain, certainly not all things considered, and the Mavs would not be better off.

I would imagine that the Mavs extended Powell projecting that he'd continue to improve, and as a more-or-less home-grown good character guy, I have no problems with his contract. But.......produce, or sit. Produce, or move.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 11-27-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #180
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
That's exactly what I meant--Kanter isn't a net gain, certainly not all things considered, and the Mavs would not be better off.

I would imagine that the Mavs extended Powell projecting that he'd continue to improve, and as a more-or-less home-grown good character guy, I have no problems with his contract. But.......produce, or sit. Produce, or move.
There is no question that the Mavs projected Powell would continue trending when they gave him that deal. They clearly messed that one up. Now Rick will continue to justify his contract by playing the shit out of him.

There should also be no question that Kanter is and would have been an upgrade over Powell. Idk what all things considered that could lead to that conclusion.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #181
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
There is no question that the Mavs projected Powell would continue trending when they gave him that deal. They clearly messed that one up. Now Rick will continue to justify his contract by playing the shit out of him.

There should also be no question that Kanter is and would have been an upgrade over Powell. Idk what all things considered that could lead to that conclusion.
Moot, I suppose, but I've seen enough of Kanter with the NYKs to believe that he does not constitute an upgrade. On court, he offers some things offensively that DP doesn't do, but simply doesn't put out the effort defensively to project a gain; and doesn't show capacity to improve physically on defense--no hops, extremely limited lateral movement; decent straight-line speed going up court, but no quickness.

With his attitude and history, I think he'd grind gears with RC, sooner or later, and has shown himself to be the type of player who won't sit quietly--in Utah, in OKC, and in NYC.

Do you not suppose there was a reason that he was available for cheap coming out of Portland? Why didn't Portland keep him? Boston took him out of sheer desperation when Horford and Morris left.

He's fools gold for anyone thinking he'll make a season-long contribution.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #182
mac222b
Diamond Member

I think the argument was more that you could find a big for about half what you paid Powelland get similar production. MBT obviously thought otherwise. Kanter has proven to be not a very good basketball player, empty stats guy. But he can rebound and get you a basket with the second unit. Powell can roll to the hoop. That’s his one discernible skill. Being locked into that contract is what’s most distressing.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #183
mac222b
Diamond Member

Stuck with him till 2023. And it’s not descending like Delon. And we signed him into cap space, not even the benefit of going over cap to sign him so we could sign other players since they didn’t use the space. Could’ve money whipped Marcus Morris and had him on a big one or two year deal and had a nice third scoring option.

Last edited by mac222b; 11-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #184
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Moot, I suppose, but I've seen enough of Kanter with the NYKs to believe that he does not constitute an upgrade. On court, he offers some things offensively that DP doesn't do, but simply doesn't put out the effort defensively to project a gain; and doesn't show capacity to improve physically on defense--no hops, extremely limited lateral movement; decent straight-line speed going up court, but no quickness.

With his attitude and history, I think he'd grind gears with RC, sooner or later, and has shown himself to be the type of player who won't sit quietly--in Utah, in OKC, and in NYC.

Do you not suppose there was a reason that he was available for cheap coming out of Portland? Why didn't Portland keep him? Boston took him out of sheer desperation when Horford and Morris left.

He's fools gold for anyone thinking he'll make a season-long contribution.
In NY he was a double double in 25 mins 14/11. Portland was almost the same thing with 3 fewer minutes and he was really good on both ends of the floor in the playoffs. Powell wont ever get there. I get that he isnt a savior by any means but it's not hard to improve from what Powell offers.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #185
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I think the argument was more that you could find a big for about half what you paid Powelland get similar production. MBT obviously thought otherwise. Kanter has proven to be not a very good basketball player, empty stats guy. But he can rebound and get you a basket with the second unit. Powell can roll to the hoop. Thatís his one discernible skill. Being locked into that contract is whatís most distressing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Stuck with him till 2023. And itís not descending like Delon. And we signed him into cap space, not even the benefit of going over cap to sign him so we could sign other players since they didnít use the space. Couldíve money whipped Marcus Morris and had him on a big one or two year deal and had a nice third scoring option.
This.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #186
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Bullets:
  • I considered this game a bonus after that impressive outing in Houston. I'm not a huge fan of the "benchmark" label the game got. Clippers are a team I'm OK losing to because they are quite simply better. Mavs got outplayed by a superior opponent. Happens. The goal still should be to make the playoffs and for that games like against the Suns are much more telling.
  • For the same reason I hope Luka develops a bit more of a "one of 82" mindset. I absolutely love how competitive he is, and he struggled for sure vs. the Clippers defense, but you shouldn't get too pissed about such a game. This was not losing against the Knicks. Twice.
  • I think ESPN titled that the Clippers are what the Mavs want to become, and I couldn't agree more. The game showed how vulnerable Dallas is if opponents are able to limit Luka. Ideally you then have a co-star and an additional playmaker off the bench to step in. Kawhi struggled, but George had it going and Lou Williams was +24. KP simply isn't yet ready to take over games and we lack a true 6th man as well.
  • A couple more thoughts on KP specifically: The Clippers are an awful matchup for Luka, but it's a game in which KP should be able to dominate. That's why the Mavs paid him and he has to be able thrive in these situations. I'm not worried and think he'll get there, but this was a good reminder that for now Dallas only goes as far as Luka takes them.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #187
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Bullets:
  • I considered this game a bonus after that impressive outing in Houston. I'm not a huge fan of the "benchmark" label the game got. Clippers are a team I'm OK losing to because they are quite simply better. Mavs got outplayed by a superior opponent. Happens. The goal still should be to make the playoffs and for that games like against the Suns are much more telling.
  • For the same reason I hope Luka develops a bit more of a "one of 82" mindset. I absolutely love how competitive he is, and he struggled for sure vs. the Clippers defense, but you shouldn't get too pissed about such a game. This was not losing against the Knicks. Twice.
  • I think ESPN titled that the Clippers are what the Mavs want to become, and I couldn't agree more. The game showed how vulnerable Dallas is if opponents are able to limit Luka. Ideally you then have a co-star and an additional playmaker off the bench to step in. Kawhi struggled, but George had it going and Lou Williams was +24. KP simply isn't yet ready to take over games and we lack a true 6th man as well.
  • A couple more thoughts on KP specifically: The Clippers are an awful matchup for Luka, but it's a game in which KP should be able to dominate. That's why the Mavs paid him and he has to be able thrive in these situations. I'm not worried and think he'll get there, but this was a good reminder that for now Dallas only goes as far as Luka takes them.
I would hardly say Kawhi struggled. 28/8/4 and he obliterated DFS. Luka was really the only defender that had some success on him and I would have had him guarding him more than just the mismatches.

I am on the record as saying I was concerned most with Lou Williams. He is still the most underrated player in the game. What a luxury they have with him. If Delon could ever reach his ceiling it would be what Lou is amd has been. A little better defensively and rebounding but not as potent offensively.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #188
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
[*]A couple more thoughts on KP specifically: The Clippers are an awful matchup for Luka, but it's a game in which KP should be able to dominate. That's why the Mavs paid him and he has to be able thrive in these situations. I'm not worried and think he'll get there, but this was a good reminder that for now Dallas only goes as far as Luka takes them.
This is knee jerk, but I'm honestly a little worried. What if he never gets there? Better yet, what if Carlisle just doesn't know how to use him properly? I still don't understand why we're not using him in pick and rolls regularly.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #189
OldWhiteGuy

OldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the rough

Missed the game because I was taking the grandkids for a ride on the Polar Express down in Palestine, but just watched the recap and that made me kind of ill.
OldWhiteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:22 PM   #190
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the rough

It's kind of sad how much production the Lakers are getting out dwight Howard and javel McGee for peanuts compared to what the mavs are getting out of Powell at his price tag.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #191
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's kind of sad how much production the Lakers are getting out dwight Howard and javel McGee for peanuts compared to what the mavs are getting out of Powell at his price tag.
Howard was another guy I was interested in and posted a few times here but MBT must have skimmed through it.

They missed on a few easy ones this offseason. Whether or not Howard was an popular choice is besides the fact that he and a cpl others who were cheaper than Powell and playing better and would be better fits. It makes me think the MBT thought we were a lot further away from contention than we are.

Last edited by SMC0007; 11-28-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:04 AM   #192
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Howard was another guy I was interested in and posted a few times here but MBT must have skimmed through it.

They missed on a few easy ones this offseason. Whether or not Howard was an popular choice is besides the fact that he and a cpl others who were cheaper than Powell makes me think the MBT thought we were a lot further away from contention than we are.
This is what bothered me the most about the off season.
I get that no star caliber FAs wanted to come here but signing DP to that deal when bigs were a dime a dozen was just plain stupid.
I mean, who were we actually bidding against?

We could have just re-signed Mejri for the min and got twice the production we are getting from Powell.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:21 AM   #193
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
This is knee jerk, but I'm honestly a little worried. What if he never gets there? Better yet, what if Carlisle just doesn't know how to use him properly? I still don't understand why we're not using him in pick and rolls regularly.
I think everyone is just saying it now but in the back of my mind I do have the thought of what if he doesnít get to where everyone thinks he should. As irrational as it sounds I donít see him getting THAT much better especially his straight drives to the rim thatís easy to defend cause he doesnít use his body to shield. Thatís not an ACL thing.

Heís really weak on setting screens I donít really understand why the pnr isnít used more to open things up.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #194
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What if he never gets there?
Then we're overpaying for a 7-3 sharpshooter.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #195
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I think everyone is just saying it now but in the back of my mind I do have the thought of what if he doesn’t get to where everyone thinks he should. As irrational as it sounds I don’t see him getting THAT much better especially his straight drives to the rim that’s easy to defend cause he doesn’t use his body to shield. That’s not an ACL thing.

He’s really weak on setting screens I don’t really understand why the pnr isn’t used more to open things up.
I'll throw this out there for discussion, but what about RC and bigs? He doesn't have the best track record with them, but then again, maybe it's a personality issue. Noel and McGee come to mind. While I get the fact that knuckleheads and special personalities can be difficult to work with, it's a coaches JOB to do the best he can with the roster he's been given. Personally, I never thought McGee was that bad and more often than not was a net plus. He certainly didn't handicap GSW and prevent them from winning a title, and I'd swap him for Powell right now in a heart beat.

Now that I think about it, what about the Rondo situation? Yeah, the guy was a total pain in the ass, and he needed to be gone, but was there really no way to better manage that situation than the shit-show it turned out to be? The way that went down made both parties look bad, and you can bet every player in the league saw that train wreck happen live.

RC is old school, but he's also dealing with grown men who make a whole lot more money than players back in the day. If most of of us made the kind of money these guys do, we'd have what most consider "FU money" and wouldn't put up with too much garbage and drama at work if we didn't have to. The coach, his personality, and work environment should be considered, and I'm pretty sure those are top issues with FA's. Everybody says that Dallas is not a top FA destination. We're a top 10 market, and Cuban does more than almost any other owner catering to his players. What about the coach? Any chance that FA's go elsewhere because they don't feel all warm and fuzzy about the opportunity to work with RC? It's not as if he never had any issues anywhere prior to coming to the Mavs. Heck it's even been written about how he's had to change this year just how he deals with Luka. Well, if you're not Luka, doesn't it sound like you may be screwed if you don't like it?

Okay, stream of consciousness rant off.

Last edited by turin; 11-28-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #196
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
This is what bothered me the most about the off season.
I get that no star caliber FAs wanted to come here but signing DP to that deal when bigs were a dime a dozen was just plain stupid.
I mean, who were we actually bidding against?

We could have just re-signed Mejri for the min and got twice the production we are getting from Powell.
If Bamba keeps playing well and Vuc is sitll hurt, then I wonder if the Magic would be willing to move Vuc. If they are bad enough at the deadline, then I could see something like that happening.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #197
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I think everyone is just saying it now but in the back of my mind I do have the thought of what if he doesnít get to where everyone thinks he should. As irrational as it sounds I donít see him getting THAT much better especially his straight drives to the rim thatís easy to defend cause he doesnít use his body to shield. Thatís not an ACL thing.

Heís really weak on setting screens I donít really understand why the pnr isnít used more to open things up.

I've been saying this since like game 3. It bothered me so much I had to look back at a lot of NYK footage and it's just the way he has always ran the PnR. He just knows he can shoot it, and thinks every shot he takes is going in so in his mind the ONLY reason to screen is so he can slip and get room for a shot. No reason to be physical. But teams like the Clippers or any other top 5 team play physical and you HAVE to match that. There is no way around it.