Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Who will be Mavs player of the game?
Mavs win by 20+ 1 12.50%
Mavs win by 10-19 2 25.00%
Mavs win by 1-9 4 50.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 0 0%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #161
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Barea is “Break Glass In Case Of Emergency” — RC isn’t using him until we need him.
I'm hoping toward the end of the season the Mavs will be participating in a few need him games. I also won't be surprised if he is part of the regular rotation in the playoffs.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:28 AM   #162
OldWhiteGuy

OldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Didn't catch a lot of it, but man, KP doing poorly on offense is a bit discouraging. Need to get him going to take the load off of Luka, or Luka will be run down by February. Luckily his rebounding and defense are good enough to keep him afloat.

Otherwise, solid win.
The Mavs have to start running plays where KP gets into the lane. He was standing on the perimeter all night and the only offense he was involved in was a kick-out so he could clunk a three attempt. He got one pass in the lane and dumped it to Maxi sliding down the line. It all happened by chance but would have been a good play if it had been planned.
OldWhiteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:30 AM   #163
FollowedKPtodallas

FollowedKPtodallas has a spectacular aura aboutFollowedKPtodallas has a spectacular aura about

Luka was amazing and it was easy...the Suns have no rim protection.
FollowedKPtodallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:34 AM   #164
FollowedKPtodallas

FollowedKPtodallas has a spectacular aura aboutFollowedKPtodallas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWhiteGuy View Post
The Mavs have to start running plays where KP gets into the lane. He was standing on the perimeter all night and the only offense he was involved in was a kick-out so he could clunk a three attempt. He got one pass in the lane and dumped it to Maxi sliding down the line. It all happened by chance but would have been a good play if it had been planned.

i have mentioned this b4...y cant kp start near the block and then Powell or Maxi would screen for him he would flare near the FT and he would get an easy 15 footer...they ran this play in NY when they wanted to get him going.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:41 AM   #165
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

What i really like is that KP isnt forcing much when he sees his shot isnt falling. He really takes a step back and focuses on defense.

I know its a thin line between taking a step back and not being aggressive searching for better shots...but i like that its not the "im the new max guy and 2nd star, its my right to take 20 shots no matter what" with KP.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:47 AM   #166
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

And why are 90% of the Mavs fans on RealGM idiots? Just terrible overall...probably all the smocks who didnt have money anymore to pay for Fish
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:32 AM   #167
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Wish mavs had gone after Oubre when Wash let him go. Reminds me of a lanky Deshawn. Lets it fly and wont put up with shit, and will guard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
because he is braindead
I commented a few weeks or so ago about we would be better with Oubre III. He is not braindead. Hes a tough kid and has the good kind of hustle. Gritty? Yea...but guys like playing with him. Look at the trend of his career. He in place of Dfs would be an immediate upgrade at the wing. Dfs has gained a lot of my respect with his growth and ability but he just doesnt quite have what Kelly does.

Separately. Hardaway deserves a lot of credit for that win. He played great defense in some clutch moments. I didnt know that he was challenging KP for the Robin suit to batman Doncic but he has been 2nd fiddle more and more over the last few weeks.

We have a max .money player that needs to demand a meeting with rick to figure out how to get him more involved. The sitting around the perimeter isnt gonna cut it

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #168
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I commented a few weeks or so ago about we would be better with Oubre III. He is not braindead. Hes a tough kid and has the good kind of hustle. Gritty? Yea...but guys like playing with him. Look at the trend of his career. He in place of Dfs would be an immediate upgrade at the wing. Dfs has gained a lot of my respect with his growth and ability but he just doesnt quite have what Kelly does.

Separately. Hardaway deserves a lot of credit for that win. He played great defense in some clutch moments. I didnt know that he was challenging KP for the Robin suit to batman Doncic but he has been 2nd fiddle more and more over the last few weeks.

We have a max .money player that needs to demand a meeting with rick to figure out how to get him more involved. The sitting around the perimeter isnt gonna cut it
We have a max player who is struggling and doing everything else to help the team win and we are winning.

I completely agree that we need to find a way but it doesn’t have to become a distraction or we shouldn’t think that it’s some huge team issue. If KP averages 10 points for the rest of the year but does everything else and we keep winning, I don’t think many people will be upset over that.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #169
FollowedKPtodallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
We have a max player who is struggling and doing everything else to help the team win and we are winning.

I completely agree that we need to find a way but it doesn’t have to become a distraction or we shouldn’t think that it’s some huge team issue. If KP averages 10 points for the rest of the year but does everything else and we keep winning, I don’t think many people will be upset over that.

Agree 100% ....the key is winning.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #170
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Anyone else notice that KP seems to rush his shot when he really doesn't have to?
The dude is 7'3" and nobody is going to block that shot. Seems when he receives the ball from the perimeter he is starting a shooting motion as he's catching the ball and those rarely go in.
When he receives from inside out he seems to be able to hit them more frequently.

Same is true for THJ. When he receives the ball from Luka or someone else from the paint, he seems almost automatic.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #171
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
And why are 90% of the Mavs fans on RealGM idiots? Just terrible overall...probably all the smocks who didnt have money anymore to pay for Fish
Hoping I'm a 10%er
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #172
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna have to be patient with KP
Old 11-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #173
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Gonna have to be patient with KP
Yeah, missing 20 months of basketball isn't something you just spring back from... Besides, if Rick can figure out how to fix THJ, he can figure out KP.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #174
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Idk where a distraction or huge team issue is coming from but he is making max money and you would think the coaches would have already had him in different situations on the floor. Sure If Luka keeps putting ridiculous numbers up and has consistent help from THJ we might keep winning but we arent beating the top teams or getting past the 1st round in the playoffs without KP doing more offensively. 2 pts on 0 for 8 shooting and half of them werent good shots. 13 boards and some key blocks was great. Overall his rebounding and defensive help has been impressive.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #175
NeedlesKane
Golden Member

NeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud of

I wonder if Luka realizes how much we all appreciate his efforts. He's an extraordinary talent. I don't want it to go to his head, but I'm thankful for his efforts and look forward to a career like none other that I've witnessed. Dirk was also incredible, but I honestly believe Luka is taking it to another level. The only concern I have is whether or not Luka achieves it all in Dallas.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:34 PM   #176
OldWhiteGuy

OldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the roughOldWhiteGuy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Idk where a distraction or huge team issue is coming from but he is making max money and you would think the coaches would have already had him in different situations on the floor. Sure If Luka keeps putting ridiculous numbers up and has consistent help from THJ we might keep winning but we arent beating the top teams or getting past the 1st round in the playoffs without KP doing more offensively. 2 pts on 0 for 8 shooting and half of them werent good shots. 13 boards and some key blocks was great. Overall his rebounding and defensive help has been impressive.
I find it hard to believe that the Mavs coaching staff is so inept that they would simply overlook the potential of a Luka-KP pick-and-roll. There must be a reason for the very conservative manner that KP is being used. My guess is that they're still not 100% confident in the knee and are relegating KP to mostly spot-up shooting to keep that contact risk low.
OldWhiteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:41 PM   #177
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the roughDallas41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, missing 20 months of basketball isn't something you just spring back from... Besides, if Rick can figure out how to fix THJ, he can figure out KP.
Are we truly sure he has fixed THJ?

I'm just asking because if you go back and watch THJ over the years he's had hot streaks like this before.

I personally would love to see him keep this up but I think he will always be a streaky player not a consistent player

That is why at some point KP is going to have to play much better. The clippers showed that if take away some of luka production this team doesnt really have a 2nd or 3rd option yet who can be truly trusted in a playoff series

KP could be in a similar situation as Gordon Hayward and it very well could take him one full season before he's productive offensively
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #178
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It will definitely be an issue/distraction, if KP is regularly limited to 8 shots per game, with Lukatme Dribblić taking 24.

And why shouldn't it be? Does anyone think KP doesn't have an ego? Will whoever manages his endorsements be happy to see him play a distant 2nd (or 3rd) fiddle? Pretty sure he didn't arrive to Dallas looking to be Shawn Bradley 2.0.

The responsibility lies mainly with KP to find his rhythm and hit his shots. But the situation is triangular, with RC and LD the other two angles.

RC has to scheme the offense so that KP is involved (if not featured), and LD has to intentionally involve KP, feed him in in his preferred spots, even force the ball to him at times until things are running normally.

This may necessarily involve LD sacrificing a part of his game in the short-term for the long-term betterment of the team. I do not see much (if any) evidence of this yet.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 12-01-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #179
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
KP could be in a similar situation as Gordon Hayward and it very well could take him one full season before he's productive offensively
The Hayward comparison is very interesting. I hadn't thought about it that way.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote