Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: How many wins do the Mavs have in 2019-2020?
63+ wins 1 2.13%
53-62 wins 1 2.13%
48-52 wins 9 19.15%
42-47 wins 23 48.94%
36-41 wins 13 27.66%
30-35 wins 0 0%
24-29 wins 0 0%
Fewer than 23 wins 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #81
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

It might come down to survival of the fittest in the west.

Keeping a healthy team will be critical and why I keep harping on the Mavs lack of protecting KP adequately imo.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #82
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting article: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...every-nba-team

It puts the Mavs in 7th, at 47 wins. It shows the Rockets leading the league with 53 wins---indicating it's a wide open free for all next year.

I think 47 wins sounds about right. Mavs are going to be one of the surprise teams in the West.

Last edited by BigDog63; 08-22-2019 at 12:21 PM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #83
Dolencd

Dolencd is a glorious beacon of lightDolencd is a glorious beacon of lightDolencd is a glorious beacon of lightDolencd is a glorious beacon of lightDolencd is a glorious beacon of lightDolencd is a glorious beacon of lightDolencd is a glorious beacon of light

Hey guys!
I think Mavs will hit 45 wins this year. At least. Maybe it's enough for the playoffs. And in the long term I am pleased with the situation in the club and also summer trades. The goal here is not to make a perfect team for this year, it's to make one for the future. For a period of 5 years. And if you want to build around Luka the goal is not to bring one big star. It's to bring potential stars of the future. It's not about exceptional players, it's about an exceptional team. And I think this might be possible this year.
As you may know I am Luka's fellow citizen and seing Boby and KP playing with Luka makes me so hyped.
Here's to waking up in the middle of the night. Cheers!
Dolencd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #84
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=irpromo

538 updated again
46-36
67% chance of making playoffs

Overall predictions for the West

Rockets
Lakers
Warriors
Clippers
Nuggets
Jazz
Pelicans
Mavs
-----------
Wolves
Blazers
Thunder
Suns
Spurs

Think they WAY underestimate the Blazers and semi-underrate the Spurs. No way Blazers miss the playoffs and Suns are better than the Spurs.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #85
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

This doesn't seem and but I think the only team that are out for sure might be the Suns and Wolves. The Suns might actually be pretty good with Rubio playing next to Booker. Rubio is still a very good pass first PG who doesn't like to shoot and thats exactly what Booker and Ayton need.

The Spurs are a complete unknown but they made the playoffs last year and were not healthy at all. I would think they will be good again.

I think people are way UNDERESTIMATING the Thunder and Blazers.

Thunder are the perfect team for CP to run as much as I dislike him.

CP/ DS (very good one/ two)
SGA
Roberson
Gallinari
Adams

......is a very solid team.

Blazers are pretty much coming back with the same core and some really good new role players.

All I know is that the Mavs make the playoffs and the other 2 spots could be any of the remaining teams IMO, except the Wolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=irpromo

538 updated again
46-36
67% chance of making playoffs

Overall predictions for the West

Rockets
Lakers
Warriors
Clippers
Nuggets
Jazz
Pelicans
Mavs
-----------
Wolves
Blazers
Thunder
Suns
Spurs

Think they WAY underestimate the Blazers and semi-underrate the Spurs. No way Blazers miss the playoffs and Suns are better than the Spurs.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #86
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin Durant says Mavs 'have something brewing' with Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis
https://mavensports.io/mavericks/new...UKTBt1SR9oQpQ/

Quote:
"I'm looking forward to seeing those two come together. I think they've got something brewing down there. Mark Cuban is always going to support his guys and put them in the best position, so that's a franchise I'm definitely watching the next few years."

Last edited by Underdog; 09-09-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #87
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Man, I was just looking close at our schedule and we have an absolutely brutal stretch of 12 games from Jan 8 - Jan 31st including a BTB-BTB.

Denver
LA Lakers/Philly (BTB at home)
GSW/SAC (BTB on road)
Portland
LA Clips
at Portland
at Utah
Followed by another BTB (at OKC and then home to Phoenix)
at Houston

The good part is that all of February and up to March 10 (about 17 games) is probably the easiest part of our schedule.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #88
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Man, I was just looking close at our schedule and we have an absolutely brutal stretch of 12 games from Jan 8 - Jan 31st including a BTB-BTB.

Denver
LA Lakers/Philly (BTB at home)
GSW/SAC (BTB on road)
Portland
LA Clips
at Portland
at Utah
Followed by another BTB (at OKC and then home to Phoenix)
at Houston

The good part is that all of February and up to March 10 (about 17 games) is probably the easiest part of our schedule.

Yea it might get a little dark at that point, but at least we will have the opportunity to gel and gain continuity before that. Optimistically we could be 6 or 7 games in the green at that point, but either way if we can get through that tough stretch near .500, we have a shot at pushing to the playoffs after. Realistically we could use another veteran to get us over the hump and who knows what opportunities might be available in making a positive move.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #89
NeedlesKane
Golden Member

NeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud of

It's gonna be tough on those teams during that stretch since they know Dallas is coming. It's gonna be the Luka and Kristaps show.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #90
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Macmahon:

Mavs haven’t determined details of Kristaps Porzingis’ load management, but team will “err on the side of caution.” Carlisle says he expects to be “very careful” with early back-to-backs.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #91
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs have just two b2b sets within with the first 22 games, so thats a good thing
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #92
NeedlesKane
Golden Member

NeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud of

The Dallas Mavericks have swept the defending Champions (L.A. Lakers) and beat the Miami Heat after Bosh and James went there. Is it a far stretch to believe that the Mavericks could again have the Lakers and James' number this season in the playoffs? I think not. All fans better have their brooms ready.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #93
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Zach Lowe:

Old 10-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #94
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Via 538's latest predictions from this morning

46-36
68% chance of playoffs

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-04-2019 at 10:06 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #95
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what happened. Weren't the Mavs 50:50 a few weeks ago at 538? Not that I disagree, just doesn't make sense to get a team a 18% boost during pre-season.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #96
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
I wonder what happened. Weren't the Mavs 50:50 a few weeks ago at 538? Not that I disagree, just doesn't make sense to get a team a 18% boost during pre-season.
538 always had the Mavs high. It's only changed a few games over the entire offseason.

46-36 - today
46-36 - Sept 26
46-36 - Sept 19
46-36 - August 22
45-37 - August 8
45-37 - August 1
44-38 - July 25

Prior to the season last year 538 had us at 28-54. We were actually 33-49: a little lower than we actually were, but we also had a crazy first 20 games where we really overperformed, which really surprised everyone.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-04-2019 at 01:54 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #97
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
We're going to shock the NBA, and win 53. Luka+KP will be unstoppable, and Wright will be a MIP candidate, along with Powell, while Brunson proves everyone that he is starter material, leading the second unit on most nights.
This.

50-59 wins is the range I would give...so long as KP and Luka remain healthy.

I may be a total homer, but I see the West and the league as being wide open.

I bet Kawaii has a down year...maybe even aggravates his injury...

The Lakers are hollow...

Houston will suck.

GSW is not the same even once Klay comes back...if he comes back.

Luka & KP might end up being the most dynamic offensive duo in the league.

They are hungry...like SUPER hungry...it shows in their off season prep that was lead by Luka and KP.

We don't have Dirk killing the defensive rating hah!

The team seems pretty well rounded...we can play big, small, inside, outside...

So long as the defense is good (top 10), we will be a force to reckon with no doubt.

And I predict the Mavs will come out sharp from day 1 and put the league on notice.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #98
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be suprised (nor disappointed) to see us finish around the .500 mark. I do think we have the potential for a better record if we stay healthy (say 46-48 wins) but the west is just brutal yet again so it's gonna be very tough, especially with a young team.

Regardless of that I can't wait for this season to start, haven't been this excited in years tbh

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #99
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I wouldn't be suprised (nor disappointed) to see us finish around the .500 mark. I do think we have the potential for a better record if we stay healthy (say 46-48 wins) but the west is just brutal yet again so it's gonna be very tough, especially with a young team.

Regardless of that I can't wait for this season to start, haven't been this excited in years tbh
Worst part of the West is that 66% of our games are against the West. West is not only loaded, every team in the West plays twice as many games against the West as the East.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #100
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I love the optimism coming from the team and fans about this season, but the west is just ridiculously tough. I still think 40-45 wins is where we sit at. The important thing is for the team to grow from game 1 to 82 and not somehow regress in January/February when slumps in previous teams tend to happen.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:35 AM   #101
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoeschmoe View Post
This.

50-59 wins is the range I would give...so long as KP and Luka remain healthy.

I may be a total homer, but I see the West and the league as being wide open.

I bet Kawaii has a down year...maybe even aggravates his injury...

The Lakers are hollow...

Houston will suck.

GSW is not the same even once Klay comes back...if he comes back.

Luka & KP might end up being the most dynamic offensive duo in the league.

They are hungry...like SUPER hungry...it shows in their off season prep that was lead by Luka and KP.

We don't have Dirk killing the defensive rating hah!

The team seems pretty well rounded...we can play big, small, inside, outside...

So long as the defense is good (top 10), we will be a force to reckon with no doubt.

And I predict the Mavs will come out sharp from day 1 and put the league on notice.
Still as optimistic as I was when I wrote that post, in fact, probably even more optimistic. KP is in the best shape of his life, they fixed his left kinetic chain issues, I think he will stay healthy this time. Wright and Powell are such great fits next to these two as well. The former is actually a perfect compliment for our two-man game, I don't see any team successfully defend Luka in that scenario (pick and pop with KP, pulling up or find one of the best rollers in the league).

Wright not as great of a fit on offense unless his shooting really improves, but he is an amazing fit on defense. Then you have Seth who is in my opinion an underrated defender, and obviously one of the best shooters in the league. I think our floor if healthy is 45 games, and our ceiling is above 50 for sure. Stars win in this league, and star talents usually don't have to wait until 25-26 to make the playoffs. Talent finds its way, and we have the most talented young duo in the league.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #102
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

48 win season, 50 will be tough and is always tough.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #103
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's interesting that so many predictions are based on KP's health. Let's take the Vegas O/U, which currently is at 40.5. Hearing opinions on the Mavs, those that want proof KP can ply after February tend to take the under. Others that feel he looks healthy and stronger than ever usually take the over. That's a faulty proposition because this uncertainty is already incorporated in the odds. I'd say 40.5 means Luka takes a slight step forward and KP plays half the season (let's say 50 games).

The more decisive factor to me is whether or not the supporting cast will be better or worse than anticipated. So far that's the big unknown. There are as many people hyped about the Mavs as there are skeptics, and most probably have differing opinions about player #3 through #10 on the roster.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #104
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going with 38-44. To have a winning record would require almost every one of our (non-Luka and KP) guys to play well over their heads. I'm probably just a pessimist but right now I'm hard-pressed to see us with a winning record.
spreedom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #105
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think it's interesting that so many predictions are based on KP's health. Let's take the Vegas O/U, which currently is at 40.5. Hearing opinions on the Mavs, those that want proof KP can ply after February tend to take the under. Others that feel he looks healthy and stronger than ever usually take the over. That's a faulty proposition because this uncertainty is already incorporated in the odds. I'd say 40.5 means Luka takes a slight step forward and KP plays half the season (let's say 50 games).

The more decisive factor to me is whether or not the supporting cast will be better or worse than anticipated. So far that's the big unknown. There are as many people hyped about the Mavs as there are skeptics, and most probably have differing opinions about player #3 through #10 on the roster.
There is more parity in the West this year than I've seen in a long time so injuries are going to play a huge part in how teams finish. KP is a big concern health wise and should be based on his history and frame. The apparent drop off in talent from KP/Luka to the next guy is enormous so it will be critical for both of those guys to stay healthy.

My bold prediction is that if those two guys stay healthy and live up to expectations we are in the POs. I think the supporting cast is fine to get us to the POs. Now will the supporting cast be enough to flirt with the top tier? Not a chance imo.

Last edited by rimrocker; 10-19-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #106
duboh7

duboh7 has a spectacular aura aboutduboh7 has a spectacular aura about

Has the final 15-man roster been announced? Just curious what the "end of the bench" looks like (and which of the 2018/19 group didn't make it).
duboh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:31 AM   #107
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboh7 View Post
Has the final 15-man roster been announced? Just curious what the "end of the bench" looks like (and which of the 2018/19 group didn't make it).
Imho it's set:

Luka
KP
DP
Wright
Maxi
Curry
Brunson
Dodo
THJ
Jackson
JJB
Lee
Boban
Broekhoff
Roby

2-Way:
Reaves
Cleveland
Old 10-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #108
duboh7

duboh7 has a spectacular aura aboutduboh7 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, j0Shi. So, the new ones "in" are Wright, Curry, & Boban. Those "out" would be Harris, Salah, & (the guard who came in the KP trade).

Last edited by duboh7; 10-20-2019 at 07:56 AM.
duboh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #109
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboh7 View Post
Thanks, j0Shi. So, the new ones "in" are Wright, Curry, & Boban. Those "out" would be Harris, Salah, & (the guard who came in the KP trade).
Well I'd add KP here since he hasn't played last season despite technically being on the roster. But yeah, key offseason additions / subtractions were the three you mentioned. The guard you're missing is Burke. He's currently on a non-guaranteed deal with the 76ers.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #110
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well I'd add KP here since he hasn't played last season despite technically being on the roster. But yeah, key offseason additions / subtractions were the three you mentioned. The guard you're missing is Burke. He's currently on a non-guaranteed deal with the 76ers.
Is it safe to say KP replaced Dirk?
Old 10-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #111
turin
Diamond Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of

Quote:
non-guaranteed? Wow, he reminded me of a JJB starter kit. I'm surprised he wasn't more valued. I hated to see him go, though I do like having larger guards.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #112
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Is it safe to say KP replaced Dirk?
Those are some big shoes to fill, but basketball-wise (overall position/function), I'd say yes... Generally speaking.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #113
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

KP and Dirk are different players though. Best for all Mavs fans to understand that going forward. Just because KP is a tall white dude that can shoot doesn't make him Dirk and that's ok because KP does a lot of things Dirk can't do. Same goes for KP not having that amazing stroke Dirk perfected.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:38 AM   #114
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Also what really made Dirk was his willingness to constantly put in the work (except the post title lockout year lol). Anytime somebody gives me Dirk comparisons I always think "they have to earn it". Sure there might be talent and style comparisons, but that's not what got Dirk to the Top 20 all time status.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #115
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Pelton made a good point on the Mavs in the latest Hoop Collective podcast where they discussed the results of his season prediction model. He said that Dallas was essentially a 38-win team based on their point differential. More than that, he mentioned how Dallas has historically always outperformed their differential and how it was awfully convenient to flip the script in a year they wanted to have a high draft pick.

I think many that only give the Mavs a shot at .500 reason that 8-9 wins is already a great improvement from 33 wins and how most wins came before they decided to trade away all the starters. However, I think you can make a legitimate case that this year's group to start the season is not worse than last year's and that the lack of winning after the deadline can at least partially be contributed to the unwillingness to win.

So Mavs were probably closer to a 38-win team and when you add 8-9 wins you land at 46-47 which would get you into playoff contention.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #116
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Pelton made a good point on the Mavs in the latest Hoop Collective podcast where they discussed the results of his season prediction model. He said that Dallas was essentially a 38-win team based on their point differential. More than that, he mentioned how Dallas has historically always outperformed their differential and how it was awfully convenient to flip the script in a year they wanted to have a high draft pick.

I think many that only give the Mavs a shot at .500 reason that 8-9 wins is already a great improvement from 33 wins and how most wins came before they decided to trade away all the starters. However, I think you can make a legitimate case that this year's group to start the season is not worse than last year's and that the lack of winning after the deadline can at least partially be contributed to the unwillingness to win.

So Mavs were probably closer to a 38-win team and when you add 8-9 wins you land at 46-47 which would get you into playoff contention.
Good stuff as always Joshi.

I honestly don't think overall wins really matter with last year's pre-trade team as it was never going to develop the chemistry needed to be anything other than mediocre. It could have been 30 wins or 42 wins but it was never a playoff team. You can attribute that to a single year offer to Jordan or to desperately trying to trade Wes or playing DSJ out of his comforts or Barnes not meshing with Luka. Whatever.

The point is that this year's team now has long term commitment to it which matters more than just trying to eek out wins from a misassembled bunch of talent. Of course, KP should be the big difference maker either way.

It's kind of interesting to think about how this became a 2 star league this past summer. For so long I was thinking how the Mavs managed to get two stars to match what everyone else was doing. It never occurred to me that maybe the rest of the league was trying to match us because Luka and KP are going to be sick.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #117
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 star team construction was what the players decided. The teams were just bystanders. GS wanted to keep Durant. The Lakers wanted to sign Kawhi. Westbrook was only traded because George left.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #118
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Zion being out for 2 months can't hurt the Mavs chances. We also play NO 3 times during this span

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #119
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
KP and Dirk are different players though. Best for all Mavs fans to understand that going forward. Just because KP is a tall white dude that can shoot doesn't make him Dirk and that's ok because KP does a lot of things Dirk can't do. Same goes for KP not having that amazing stroke Dirk perfected.
I was thinking replacing Dirk more in terms of position in SL than comparing skills. Wouldn’t surprise me if Rick subs him the same way he did Dirk as well.

Last edited by rimrocker; 10-21-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #120
NeedlesKane
Golden Member

A co-worker wanted to bet me $1,000 that the Mavericks would NOT make the playoffs. I said that they would, but $1,000 is too steep for me. Injuries do happen!