Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
turin
Diamond Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of
Default Has anybody changed their mind about Vucevic on the Mavs?

10 games into the season, and I'm wondering if anybody has changed his position on Vucevic from the summer. I was for adding him during the off-season to have a starting caliber center as well as an overall talent upgrade. Instead, we reupped Powell and added Boban who has been a very pleasant surprise, but is obviously too big and dominant against smaller lineups to play, so repeated DNP's for you big guy. LOL Powell gonna wave at people driving past hime, cuz "matchups" doncha know.

I was also a huge fan of adding Kemba even though he was a long shot, and last night, at least for one night, he confirmed my confidence. The guy is a great teammate and clutch. He and Luka would've been a nightmare together, and I think his veteran presence and ability would have helped Luka from feeling the need to press so much at times when he's the only one producing.

In hindsight, a lot of us were spot on when we complained about wasting $20ish million in cap and adding only ancillary pieces in Seth and Wright. Seth was probably billed as the biggest piece added because of his shooting, but if he's hesitant or not making anything, then he has no place on the floor. Wright has been a pleasant surprise and deserves more burn imo. So, all-in-all, I think the off-season in hindsight rates a "D."

I sure wish we'd have gone after Vucevic. Carlisle would've had to play him with that contract. lol Just my .02.

Last edited by turin; 11-12-2019 at 09:27 AM.
turin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Extra Extra! Read all about it! Breaking news! Turin wasn't happy with the offseason and would have done better!
Old 11-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
10 games into the season, and I'm wondering if anybody has changed his position on Vucevic from the summer. I was for adding him during the off-season to have a starting caliber center as well as an overall talent upgrade. Instead, we reupped Powell and added Boban who has been a very pleasant surprise, but is obviously too big and dominant against smaller lineups to play, so repeated DNP's for you big guy. LOL Powell gonna wave at people driving past hime, cuz "matchups" doncha know.

I was also a huge fan of adding Kemba even though he was a long shot, and last night, at least for one night, he confirmed my confidence. The guy is a great teammate and clutch. He and Luka would've been a nightmare together, and I think his veteran presence and ability would have helped Luka from feeling the need to press so much at times when he's the only one producing.

In hindsight, a lot of us were spot on when we complained about wasting $20ish million in cap and adding only ancillary pieces in Seth and Wright. Seth was probably billed as the biggest piece added because of his shooting, but if he's hesitant or not making anything, then he has no place on the floor. Wright has been a pleasant surprise and deserves more burn imo. So, all-in-all, I think the off-season in hindsight rates a "D."

I sure wish we'd have gone after Vucevic. Carlisle would've had to play him with that contract. lol Just my .02.
Many people wanted Vuce, probably more than those who wanted Kemba. Neither of them wanted to be here.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
turin
Diamond Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
Extra Extra! Read all about it! Breaking news! Turin wasn't happy with the offseason and would have done better!
I'm not the only one. Just frustrated like a lot of people. I don't think the Mavs ever seriously thought about going after Vuc, so yeah, that's disappointing, even moreso in hindsight.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Many people wanted Vuce, probably more than those who wanted Kemba. Neither of them wanted to be here.
I understand that about Kemba, but I never got the impression that Vuc didn't want to be here. The Magic weren't in love with him, or they never would've drafted Bamba, and I don't think Vuc got max money on his 4-yr deal. It is what it is, but that has nothing to do with letting $20 million disappear for nothing. :-(
Old 11-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I understand that about Kemba, but I never got the impression that Vuc didn't want to be here. The Magic weren't in love with him, or they never would've drafted Bamba, and I don't think Vuc got max money on his 4-yr deal. It is what it is, but that has nothing to do with letting $20 million disappear for nothing. :-(
Its pretty inexplicable that they allowed the $ to go unused. It was literally like they were two steps behind every move that was made this summer. We've talked about it ad nauseum but it boggles the mind, still. At the very least grab assets to flip in the future for the 3rd star or starter you couldn't secure in FA. I guess they could still use the TPE. We'll see.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I undertand not wanting Vuc because he's not a great fit next to KP as neither can or should guard the perimeter. Maybe they could've flipped him later? Hard to count on that.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

nope.

How about we let one team gel before we start calling for new players (who aren't moving anyway)
Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
nope.

How about we let one team gel before we start calling for new players (who aren't moving anyway)
I agree with you. I'm not calling for new players atm. Just was a little down when I posted this, especially in light of the poor play of DP and THJ. They are what they are, and at least I don't have to hear people talking about Powell's 40% 3-pt shooting last year post TDL or whatever it was. heh.

Having said that, the next 10-15 games should be interesting. I'm hoping RC has enough info to zero in on some semblance of a consistent starting 5 and rotation. With all the angst and negatives, we're still only a few plays away from having only 2 losses. This is the greatness of Luka and part of the frustration. We've let so many winnable games slip away, and it's not because we lacked another all-star caliber player. One other reliable, consistent 3-pt shooter would have put us over the top, and so far, that is not Curry.

Last edited by turin; 11-13-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree with you. I'm not calling for new players atm. Just was a little down when I posted this, especially in light of the poor play of DP and THJ. They are what they are, and at least I don't have to hear people talking about Powell's 40% 3-pt shooting last year post TDL or whatever it was. heh.

Having said that, the next 10-15 games should be interesting. I'm hoping RC has enough info to zero in on some semblance of a consistent starting 5 and rotation. With all the angst and negatives, we're still only a few plays away from having only 2 losses. This is the greatness of Luka and part of the frustration. We've let so many winnable games slip away, and it's not because we lacked another all-star caliber player. One other reliable, consistent 3-pt shooter would have put us over the top, and so far, that is not Curry.
DP is not playing poorly. KP yes. And literally no one expected DP to shoot the 3 like he did last season after tdl.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:08 AM   #11
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud of

Kemba? Yes. Brunson has had his moments, and I'm glad (kind of) that Carlisle has been able to resist the urge to immediately upgrade the team by going with Barea instead. I think Brunson is legit, and this will pay off later, when it matters. Having said that, I hope we all realize that Luka handling the ball on literally every possession might not be sustainable if they want to get to the next level. Like, every second that dude is on the bench lately (I'd say after the 5th game or so) I want to vomit. Kemba would've solved all of that, and for quite a while. It's possible that the incredible jump forward Luka has taken this year has the team feeling relief that they didn't sink so much money in another PG, and I could be talked into that POV. But, I think he'd be tradable later, so if given the choice I'd still lean "yes" on Kemba.

Vucevic? Nah. Not a fit. Too much crossover with KP, IMHO. I think the team was enamored over the summer (and today) with the idea that an elite rim runner is the way to complement the Luka/KP pairing. I feel like the goal is for Powell to start playing more like he did last year, settle in as the starter and earn that contract. I think they view Kleber as someone who can do some of what KP does (some) when he sits, and a good spacing option when they want to play 5-out. .

Obviously, Vuc can do some things that would help, but there's too much overlap with KP in terms of usage and role to justify the price, imo. Frankly, Vucevic INSTEAD of KP might be the best argument to be had at this point, but I'm not ready to go there yet

The Mavs' third star needs to be one of two archetypes, IMHO. Either A) a much better 2-way version of Delon Wright (ex. Bradley Beal) or B) a much better 2-way version of FInney-Smith (ex: Paul George). Neither of those two players are getable, and their guy doesn't need to be THAT good, but in this world of "teams that can switch can win" we call the 2019-20 NBA, those are the positions that are preventing the Mavs from reaching true contender status. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 12-01-2019 at 04:08 AM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote