Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 08:55 PM   #201
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really news, but keeps chatter going..

The Jump on ESPN: “The Dallas Mavericks are gonna be at the head of the line in pursuing Giannis. They want to have a 3rd star” – @WindhorstESPN – via Twitter

The Jump on ESPN: “They [the Mavericks] want to keep their books clear for 2021. I wouldn’t expect them to add any major free agents this year. They’re going to wait” – @WindhorstESPN – via Twitter
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2020, 12:07 AM   #202
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Greek dust does taste better than domestic
Old 10-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #203
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Per Sham's latest on The Athletic:

My feeling is we should do whatever we can to add starting-caliber talent this offseason and push as hard as we can to make a deep playoff run next year. I'd be hesitant to take on big-time dead money in pursuit of those players, but honestly there isn't a lot of that in the league right now. I think our best pitch to the Giannis types of next year's free agency class would be as successful a season as possible. If those elite players want to come here, we will find a way to make it happen.

Edit: We're also listed as potential suitors for Jerami Grant, but not for Derrick Jones, Jr. At the prices they're each likely to command, I'm much more interested in DJJ.

Last edited by spreedom; 10-15-2020 at 10:58 AM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #204
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Per Sham's latest on The Athletic:

My feeling is we should do whatever we can to add starting-caliber talent this offseason and push as hard as we can to make a deep playoff run next year. I'd be hesitant to take on big-time dead money in pursuit of those players, but honestly there isn't a lot of that in the league right now. I think our best pitch to the Giannis types of next year's free agency class would be as successful a season as possible. If those elite players want to come here, we will find a way to make it happen.

Edit: We're also listed as potential suitors for Jerami Grant, but not for Derrick Jones, Jr. At the prices they're each likely to command, I'm much more interested in DJJ.
I mean if Jerami Grant wants to come here for the MLE itís a no-brainer. Unless we have a salary dump lined up or trade a pick to Denver in SnT so as not to lose him for nothing. But he would really have to want to leave. Otherwise wouldnít he just stay with Denver? They could give him MLE or go over to re-sign him. Porter Jr looks great but doesnít bring any of the on ball defense Grant does.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #205
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

I think Grant is potentially the PERFECT front court fit with KP and DFS. I think his upcoming paycheck will require him to go up one more level to be a value player, but as far as TYPE, I would pounce.

And, it's possible that Denver won't want to pay him. He and MPJ have quite a bit of overlap, and they are already a high priced team. Either Grant or Milsap is gone this year, imo.
KillerLeft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #206
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

After watching this team get sliced up defensively and knowing that RC loves small lineups the guy who i think fits the best on this roster is Jerami Grant

I know it's a pipe dream but that dude can defend multiple positions and knock down 3's.

Pairing him up with DFS would finally give the mavs two big wing defenders to matchup.

He's not a glamour name and the mavs will most likely pass anyway because of the Giannis situation.

Grant I think puts this team into the west contender status.

Last edited by Dallas41; 10-15-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:13 AM   #207
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
After watching this team get sliced up defensively and knowing that RC loves small lineups the guy who i think fits the best on this roster is Jerami Grant

I know it's a pipe dream but that dude can defend multiple positions and knock down 3's.

Pairing him up with DFS would finally give the mavs two big wing defenders to matchup.

He's not a glamour name and the mavs will most likely pass anyway because of the Giannis situation.

Grant I think puts this team into the west contender status.
Oh absolutely. And I think heís easily moveable if you have Giannis in hand. Itís just a question of how the dominoes on this would fall as heís a UFA right? But Denver has his Bird Rights? So they can let Millsap walk or re-sign Millsap at MLE and go over for Grant. Hard to know with Covid cap coming. Maybe they take back a first for him, like they have last summer? It would mean us moving Delon and someone else though right?
Old 10-16-2020, 01:28 AM   #208
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I think Grant is potentially the PERFECT front court fit with KP and DFS. I think his upcoming paycheck will require him to go up one more level to be a value player, but as far as TYPE, I would pounce.

And, it's possible that Denver won't want to pay him. He and MPJ have quite a bit of overlap, and they are already a high priced team. Either Grant or Milsap is gone this year, imo.
Heís never going to be a playmaker or a guy that is entirely comfortable putting the ball on the deck, but heís better than,say, DFS at it and could continue to grow in that facet as heís still young. One of the adjustments I noticed they made as the Clipper series went on was having him attack space when he got the ball behind the arc. His shot wasnít falling and it helped get him in a rhythm getting some easy buckets and getting to the line. He stopped overthinking and just played.

Itís so hard to say exactly what his or any non-star but better than MLE player market will be. Maybe a few guys take a two year with a player option in year two hoping for post Covid bump? Guys like Gallo, Bertrans, Grant, Joe Harris, Wood. Do the take a little more $ from some crap team with cap room or MLE from contender or stay flexible? Will be interesting.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #209
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd prefer Wood slightly over Grant, but either would be great additions. If KP goes down, which there is a solid chance of it, Wood could slide from starting PF right into KP's role in our system and not a lot would change.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #210
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

I'm reading some stuff today that leads me to believe Dallas is one of the front runners for Oladipo. Now, I don't think he's nearly the answer - he's not nearly as good as his reputation is, at tis point - but, the fact that he's expiring makes him a "big swing" that doesn't end the Giannis dream.

I could see it happening, tbh.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #211
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I'm reading some stuff today that leads me to believe Dallas is one of the front runners for Oladipo. Now, I don't think he's nearly the answer - he's not nearly as good as his reputation is, at tis point - but, the fact that he's expiring makes him a "big swing" that doesn't end the Giannis dream.

I could see it happening, tbh.
Not much interest in Oladipo. I think weíve seen his career year and heís much better with the ball in his hands than without. I guess it would come down to cost. Pretty sure at minimum they would ask for #18, and two of Brunson, Seth or Maxi. Maybe #31 as well. Assuming Dodo is a no go in trade for us unless it brings back someone like Beal

We are worried about Powell and then would be worried about Oladipo regaining his explosiveness. Pass.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #212
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Not much interest in Oladipo. I think weíve seen his career year and heís much better with the ball in his hands than without. I guess it would come down to cost. Pretty sure at minimum they would ask for #18, and two of Brunson, Seth or Maxi. Maybe #31 as well. Assuming Dodo is a no go in trade for us unless it brings back someone like Beal

We are worried about Powell and then would be worried about Oladipo regaining his explosiveness. Pass.
If what I've read today is true, yes, his value is "a mid 1st round pick" and anything else included would be simply to make the trade legal. I think that's interesting, because it's much lower than his fans would've thought and pretty much right in line with what I would've guessed.

Like you, I don't think he's the answer here, but that's because he was really only good for like one season, right before the injury. After the injury, in a limited sample size, he has been ROOOOOOGUH. I don't think a lot of fans realize this, and they only remember him by reputation.

But, there IS a CHANCE he starts to get better again. If they trade for him, I won't throw a party, but there is a chance that he's that secondary playmaker they want. If he ever regains his trajectory, there's a chance he's a good two-way player, the kind we all think they need. But the part that makes me buy into the rumor that the Mavs have at least a little interest is that he's on an expiring deal. For a team that's still holding onto the Giannis idea, like Dallas (maybe a better way of phrasing this is "the idea that they'll only one shot in Luka's career to use cap space for anything") I can see the contract, alone, being attractive. If they could get that done WITHOUT giving up Hardaway's expiring deal? Definitely moving Wright, and possibly something else with guaranteed money past this season? I can see them jumping on that and seeing #18 as a pretty low price to pay.

You get a year of seeing whether Oladipo helps (I'm not hopeful there) and if he doesn't, BOOM. Max cap space.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #213
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the only interest I'd really have in Oladipo is cap relief... I don't think his days as a starter are over, but he's not a player I'd want to invest in beyond next season even if we whiff on Giannis.

Kirk Your Enthusiasm had an interesting idea in the wake of D'Antoni/Morey leaving the Rockets... maybe feeling around to see if we could get Covington from them. I'm guessing we'd send something #18/DFS/Jackson. What do you guys think? If that isn't the right package, what would you send Houston for the best available 3&D guy in today's market?
Old 10-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #214
KillerLeft

Quote:

Kirk Your Enthusiasm had an interesting idea in the wake of D'Antoni/Morey leaving the Rockets... maybe feeling around to see if we could get Covington from them. I'm guessing we'd send something #18/DFS/Jackson. What do you guys think? If that isn't the right package, what would you send Houston for the best available 3&D guy in today's market?
I like the player, the fit and the price (would substitute someone else for DFS, who Kirk undervalues for some reason) but I donít think the Mavs are in the high priced role player business until after they get this 3rd difference maker they seem to be after.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #215
tap2390
Golden Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

No thanks to Robert Covington. Why would we trade DFS who is 26, has two years/ 8 million left on his deal for Covington who is 30 and has two years/ 24 million left on his deal.

Why in the world would we trade away someone who does 90% of what Covington does at 33% of the price and then add picks on top?

Some suggestions drive me insane.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #216
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
No thanks to Robert Covington. Why would we trade DFS who is 26, has two years/ 8 million left on his deal for Covington who is 30 and has two years/ 24 million left on his deal.

Why in the world would we trade away someone who does 90% of what Covington does at 33% of the price and then add picks on top?

For whatever reason, Kirk’s big message lately has been replacing DFS. I don’t get it at all. He keeps talking about how fans overvalue a guy who wasn’t even drafted, which is fine and true, but he’s a long, athletic 3&D wing who knows and accepts his role, all on a team friendly contract. That’s what literally every team is looking for right now. There aren’t enough of them in the league.

Are there better versions of that player in the league? Yes, but he’s not at all the weak link in this chain, imo. If anything, I’d like to see them add two more players just like him.

Covington is better, but imo he’s more of a natural 4/small 5 these days. I think he’s a fit to play WITH DFS, but not instead of him. Covington’s minutes would come at the expense of Kleber, imo, who is also a valuable contributor.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 10-16-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #217
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

Covington is a much better fit at PF next to Porzingis, and he's a significantly better and more valuable defensive player than DFS. A healthy Covington is a fringe DPOY candidate. And he's been a monster from the right corner three his whole career. I love Dorian but he's probably never going to make an All-Defense team, and this season has been the only time he's even been a remotely adequate shooter.

I absolutely believe we should be making win-now trades. DFS will probably be a more valuable player than Covington three years from now but today I think there's a sizable gap between them. And as much fun as this season was, I would be pretty disappointed if we missed out on improving our roster in pursuit of dry powder.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #218
KillerLeft

Quote:
And as much fun as this season was, I would be pretty disappointed if we missed out on improving our roster in pursuit of dry powder.
If thatís how you feel, I think you should prepare yourself for disappointment.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #219
mac222b
Diamond Member

No way we’d move DFS in a deal for Cov, as others said above. That contract is truly one of the best in the league. And he’s still improving, albeit as a guy who is very nearly at his ceiling. He hit enough clutch 3s this season that it didn’t seem to be flukey. We need more athletes his size on this team. If they’ll take Brunson and #18 and Delon for matching Covington that’d be worth doing. Covington has had injury concerns of his own though.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #220
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i really think the Mavs are valuing DFS, Seth and Kleber. Contributionwise and also contractwise. So i think they only move one (or more) if they are able to trade for an allstar level type player.

I really like Covington and would love to have him. But also add him to the three mentioned player. So a package would be around Brunson, Wright and picks and i dont think thats enough

Last edited by sefant77; 10-16-2020 at 07:27 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #221
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Covington is a much better fit at PF next to Porzingis, and he's a significantly better and more valuable defensive player than DFS. A healthy Covington is a fringe DPOY candidate. And he's been a monster from the right corner three his whole career. I love Dorian but he's probably never going to make an All-Defense team, and this season has been the only time he's even been a remotely adequate shooter.

I absolutely believe we should be making win-now trades. DFS will probably be a more valuable player than Covington three years from now but today I think there's a sizable gap between them. And as much fun as this season was, I would be pretty disappointed if we missed out on improving our roster in pursuit of dry powder.
This was a valid opinion before his time in Houston where he was borderline terrible.